Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandson passes Tech tech, then 13 days later, is a General  (Read 22938 times)
W7HBP

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »

Ok, my 11 yr old grandson (KG7ESK) took a real big interest all of a sudden in grandpas ham radio hobby. So I told him, I'd get him testing and passing if he was serious. He was. He missed 2 on his tech test, then got his call and 13 days later, he took and passed the general. He missed one question on the general test. I made him a promise, I'd get him a new 2 meter rig if he did tech and an HF rig if he did general. Well, I bought him 2 new radios. Plus lots of other gear. He will be a few months before he has all his gear to get his HF rig on the air (Icom IC-718) We spent all summer working on this. He says next summer, he wants his extra.  Grin

Anyway, I dont know who is more excited, grandson or grandpa.  Wink

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »

COOL !! Congradulations to the young man. Grin
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:05:59 AM by SWMAN » Logged
KA8SEP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »

Very good. We need to keep this going, and have fun  Grin

Ted
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »

Hello, I was his age when I started and think I am going to spark my 6yr old granddaughter's interest when she is a little older.
 My interest is as fresh as ever.

Thanks for the inspiration!
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »

You are a very good grandfather!  That is also a smart grandson you have to pass the exams with such fine scores too.  Now it is time to see he gets plenty of the experience to go with the equipment and some of that time will come straight from you.  It is in the giving of time that we show how much we care about the other person and when your grandson is a father and grandfather, the lesson you teach today about what it means to give time will be a legacy that will be passed down for generations.

Thank you for a fine story!

Rick
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »

You both should be proud!
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »

Thank you for posting this! I just had my first grand child, a girl (Sadie), and I'm already looking for baby-sized earphones! When the time arises, I'll put her on my knee while I operate just to spark some interest. We'll see where that goes.

Have a great time with your grandson!

Frank
Frankie-Pop
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »

Thanks for all the reply's. I head down to his house this Saturday to set up his HF rig. I just ordered a new 45 amp MFJ power supply, an LDG pro II auto tuner with the interface cable to run it from his new IC 718, and some more coax and a RADIOWAVZ G5RV-LITE-E dipole from HRO. This is all he needed to get fully operational. (he already has all his gear for his 2 meter, I will just have to set it up also)  I signed him up for the ARRL, also signed him up with a local repeater group, signed him up for the Clark County ARC, bought him a nice embroidered cap from Astrids (first class folks and first class work) bought him a cool ID badge from hamcrazy.com and a load of QSL cars from cheapqsls.com. I should have him fully operational this Saturday. He has enough equipment and gear to look liek he has been at it for years. I have spent just over $2000 on him since summer. Cheesy

He told his mom, he would rather have ham gear than new school clothes. His birthday is in December. I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and his birthday.....

You guessed it, HAM gear!  Shocked Grin

I think I'm more excited to have another HAM in the family.
My call is my late grandfathers, I picked it up as a vanity. He said when I go SK (should be a long ways out) he will be the 2nd caretaker of that call by applying for it as a vanity.
I got my grandfathers middle name, now my grandson has the same middle name as me, everyone in my family with that middle name has went on to become a ham radio operator.  Shocked

Next summer, he wants his "Extra Class". So we will see. He can do it, and will.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:28 AM »

I'm sure your grandpa, wherever he may be, is proud of your grandson too!  73!
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 08:01:55 PM »

And think of what you've done for this lad's future potential.

He's probably very computer savvy. Now he's going to get some very hands-on learning about how RF works. If he decides to combine the two and learn about how to make computers talk to each other over a RF link via digital modes???

Consider that in the tech fields today:
Lots of people know a lot about computers, but almost nothing about RF.
Lots of people know a lot about RF, but almost nothing about computers.
Very few know a lot about both. Even fewer know very much about how to implement and maintain RF data networks. (i.e., wireless to the clueless data folks)

Networking over RF is growing by leaps and bounds, whether it's cellular, mesh, wireless LAN's, and stuff we haven't heard of yet.

So if he takes an interest in technology and follows it to an Engineering or Technical degree that combines data and RF?

Look Out World!!

73! and have FUN!
Bill AB9TA
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »

I had signed him up for his local ham radio club (Clark County Ham Radio Club) and he attended his first meeting last friday. It lasted for 90 minutes and his mom took him and sat with him. At the end, they needed volunteers to handle communications. He wanted to sign up for everything. But his mom limited him to 3.

Well, this Sunday, meets at 6am for breakfast and will be working the "Race for the Cure" foot race. He will be working the start line. Easiest task, but they knew he was new and wanted to get his feet wet. He has his little HT all programed already for the repeater they are using and next weekend.

His mom, my daughter asked me what I have gotten her into. Grin Grin so now she is gettign up early and hanging out. I suspect she could hang around for a while, then turn him loose to the other hams. They will watch over him closely. But she is protective, if she is comfortable, will turn him loose.

He works on a canned food drive next weekend. They will radio in for a food pick up when they get full. He has another event going, not sure which one. And he is excited about doing foxhunts too.

I suspect this will help him along the way for the rest of his life. Even if its just a mention on a job application in "hobbies", hams get lots of respect and we all know its work to obtain a license.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: