Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fifi SDR  (Read 21155 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »

Anyone have any experience with or opinions on the FiFi Software Defined Receiver - there is an article/review on in Sept 2013 QST ?

73 Paul kc2nyu
SWL535

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »

Hi

Yes, I have one. Took a while to get it calibrated.  Don't get me wrong, for the price it's fun to play with
but if I had to do over again I would put the money toward an AFEDRI SDR http://www.afedri-sdr.com/

The "sound card" based SDRs are the poor cousin of the direct conversion SDRs.

I am looking closely at the AFEDRI X2 dual channel SDR. Or biting the bullet and buying a QS1R which
really is a fantastic SDR.

Ken

White Rock, BC Canada
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »

I just got a FiFi up and running with the preselector board. Need a very fine tip solder iron to do the minimal assembly. I won't rehash the QST review, but give my impressions as a user. I'm fairly experienced with softrocks, SDR-IQ, Flex, KX3 w/IQ, etc. The FiFi, in performance, seems to fall somewhere between the softrocks and say the SDR-IQ, ditto for the price, about $160 US. It is controlled and powered by USB, driver included on CD must be installed. On the latter I used Zadig to get drivers and devices married. It comes up as a softrock and a FiFi, I suppose since it has both onboard 96kc sound like the SDR-IQ (192kc onboard SDR-IQ), and also has I/Q line out to your computer's stereo soundcard input, which sample rate is determined by soundcard, usually up to 192kc. I have not really been able to use the I/Q line yet as I do not think my pc sound card input to be stereo? Or else I'm missing something on config? The symptom is images and I/Q imbalance spur, that I cannot seem to cancel via SDR-Radio's tool options' routine. I have tried the free stripped down version of RadioJet software, not many features and/or some seem inop, but the pseudo stereo sound is superb. Have had much more success with SDR-Radio V 1.5 as usual. HDSDR same issue with images and spur, but no correct routine.

So the bottom line is that I think the current FiFi at $160 US to be a good value, and the lowest priced SDR with onboard sound, that I know of. I'll try to write a regular review once get I/Q talking to my PC. Have a Delta sound card that should help? But unless want more than 96kc BW, use onboard sound via USB is all you need.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

The peaberry V2 is lower in price and includes a transmitter as well.
It seem just as good or maybe better then the sdr-iq I have, and just as good it seems as a flex 3000, and I like the software better.
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 05:00:47 AM »

The Peaberry looks nice, but not continuous receive 160-10m? I must admit the pin spacing etc of the FiFi was at the edge of my comfort zone soldering, between near vision and fine motor skills limits. Not really up for the tedium of winding coils and SMT soldering. Both my softrocks were pre built by Tony Parks.

I use the SDR-IQ 24/7 for a remote HF receiver via SDRSpace.com where I'm WV4I/SWL. Plan same for FiFi when not personally using it, so continuous coverage is a plus for me. Not really looking for a SDR transmitter as I have a Flex 3000 for that. The SDR-IQ gets 25-30 logons per day, so the need is there for a second receiver located in South FL apparently. See the SDRSpace map. I've also used softrocks for remote receivers, however the FiFi with USB sound seems less challenging for the novice net user, vs the softrock.

I encourage anyone with an oft idle SDR to set it up for remote receive via SDRSpace.com, SDR-Radio, etc..

73, Link, WV4I
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:36 AM »

I use the remote receivers on sdr-radio from time to time.
Many of the receivers seem to have poor antenna's, and the display and radio operation seems very compressed.
It will give you a taste of sdr, but its nothing like having a radio in the shack.

Its interesting listening to my signals 1000 miles away...
KB7ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »

Sad
I finally received and completed my FifiSDR...have some problems with the little thing I can't figure...
..drivers are loaded (windows Cool and funtional
..software loaded.
..USB plugged in and LED flashes...SW1 had no effect and have no idea what function that switch has
..NO audio
...Receiver software says IQ error receiver not ready

So here I am anyone have any clues? 
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
Dave
KB7ZZ
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 07:01:08 AM »

Did you go here ?  http://o28.sischa.net/fifisdr/trac     follow the instructions,  If you still have a problem, then submit a ticket. They will help you thru your problem. The switch is for programing I believe. I have two of them running here and working great.
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »

I have fifi version 1.x and now 2.0. 1.x works great while 2.0 seems stuck in AM Bcst band, case even acting as antenna there. Almost like preselector stuck, as will receive on higher bands, albeit weak. Anyone else seen this? Thanks, Link, WV4I
W1AEX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:59 AM »

I just got my FiFi SDR a week ago. The two circuit boards and the case/connectors are first-rate in the quality department. It took about 30 minutes of work with a fine-tipped soldering iron to mount the connectors to the two boards and another 5 minutes to sandwich the boards together and slide it all into the case to finish up the assembly. The only hitch I ran into was with the driver installation program that came on the CD. It would not run under Windows 7 even when given admin privileges. I found that the new installation program that is downloadable at the O28 site worked flawlessly so this turned out to be a non-issue once I ran that. I've had great fun with this little SDR running Radio Jet and Simon Brown's SDR Console v2.1 and have found it to be an outstanding receiver for AM BCB DX-ing as well as casual listening on the ham bands from 160 - 10 meters. I have not found a version of PowerSDR that works with it, even with older or custom versions that have the SoftRock option, so that still needs some exploring on my part as the O28 site seems to infer that it can be made to work. I did post 7 videos of the FiFi SDR running Radio Jet and SDR Console on YouTube (search for my callsign to find them) if any one is interested in seeing how it performs. It's definitely not up there with my Flex Radio, but it's great fun and quite an effective receiver.

Rob W1AEX

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »

I received my kit today, it took me about 10 minutes to build it, there is not much to it, the bnc, a jack, some inter board headers.

I got it working with hdsdr easy, but it seems to have a lot of birdies or some signals that are not really there.

So far, from what I can tell, the peaberry V2 is MUCH better, with a much wider dynamic range.

Very nice case, and its a very small unit.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »

So many SDR radio choices on the market. It would be nice if one of these manufacturers actually designed these receivers to work in the typical ham station.

1. Have a relay switching system built in for protecting the receiver
2. In this relay switching system have a  30 to 40 db attenuator/sampler to  monitor the TX signal
3. Have pre configured ham radio band buttons and simple things  band stacking registers(mouse wheeling and shortcuts are very tedious way of tuning)
4. Have pre-configured band monitoring modes and the SPAN is set to the bandwidth of the band by mode or by the total bandspand.
    I dont have to monitor 30mhz of spectrum I just need to only monitor 20 meter SSB or 20 meter CW or the whole 20 meter band.
5. A built in TX IMD mask so can quickly check my stations TX performance. A pass for fail mask that can be set  by power level etc
6. Easy interfacing built for slave operation with any radio
7. Different S_meter calibration scales like  Dbuv
8. Waterfall averaging or rounding that  display signal strength  in the waterfall rounded to the nearest S_unit. This way you can see by color what stations are
from S1 to S9+ whatever. I dont need to  have 1db resolution with a million colors. There is 9 S_units  why cant we have 9 colors so you can see clearly what a signal strength is without having to pull out a magnifying glass and color shade chart?

Unfortunately we get a new SDR  radio every week and  not one on the market is designed to be truly used in the  ham station. If someone built decent SDR with real world ham features they would sell thousands. Hams are not SWL's or broadcast band DX'ers  who  have different requirements that most SDR makers serves. I more ham friendly plug and play solution   would make panadapters and spectrum analyzer feature more available to most hams who are not interested in SDR radios.

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 06:06:17 AM »

Yes, software is the big issue, there are lots of fine radios...

I sold my fifi, as I could only get it working right with the radiojet software which I did not like so much.
HDSDR and sdr-radio both did very odd things if they worked at all with the fifi, and I did not want to hose up the other sdr's trying to get the fifi to work.
Spectraview, hdsdr, sdr-radio all play nice with the sdr-iq and the peaberry V2, and running sdrmax5 with a qs1r or the power sdr software with the flex gear did not cause issues, but the fifi wanted to hose things up.

I like sdr-radio V1.5 as it DOES have ham band buttons on it, and it remembers where you left things (freq, mode, filters, etc.).
Nice display, nice tuning, nice options.
Version 2.0 seems a real mess though...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: