I would like to share with you some new features I've added in release 1.0.012 of "IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW" Android application, after having tested them myself.
Together with some minor enhancements, there are some majour features.SPEECH ASSISTED TRAINING
This new feature is based on a synthesized voice that is able to spell words using the ICAO alphabet.
When active, after each CW word, the voice will repeat the word using "alpha", "bravo", "charlie", etc.
I'm liking myself this feature a lot because:
1) I can exercise while trekking: I listen to CW, I repeat mentally what I heard using the ICAO alphabet, then the voice gives me the solution. In this way I can immediately know whether I was wrong or right. Then it goes to the next word. Of course it works on any word, either random or taken from a file.
2) It trains short-term memory for CW strings. I found this exercise extremely effective when catching callsigns.HARD LETTERS
A new extremely useful feature is the "hard letters" setup.
This configuration screen allows selecting the letters that we find hard to detect.
These letters will get a boost in their frequency during random generation.
As I have been able to experiment myself, this feature seems able to quickly reduce the number of errors.AUTOMATIC HARD LETTERS
The "hard letters" feature is applied automatically to the last two letters of the Koch sequence.
This makes sense because the last letters of the sequence are very new to us and they need an higher exposure than the well known older letters.KOCH-LIKE TRAINING ON WORDS
Everyone is able to immediately recognize "CQ" in CW. This word is so common that even OM's that do not know CW are able to recognize it.
In order to extend this ability to other common words (like "73", "DX", "MY", "NAME", "RIG", "UR", "HR", etc.), I added a feature that works like the Koch method but on words.
First, we have to create a list of words, either on a text file or in the "custom string" area.
Then by selecting "Character Sequence" -> "Koch training on words", the application start proposing the first two words of the list.
When we are able to recognize each of them confortably, we can go to "Koch level" and add another word.
This exercise should be done listening the words at high speed.MINOR FIXES
- Made moveable to SD-card
- When a file is loaded, its name is printed on the main screen
- Fixed bug: the number of letters used to compose a word were one more than the value selected in "Word length".
- Speed now goes up to 100 wpm
- Added a WPM quick bar on the main screen.
As always, this free and ad-free application can be downloaded from Google Play under the name IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW
For people not accessing Google Play, the .apk can be downloaded directly from my web site
Best 73's de IZ2UUF