Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Key that works like the dash paddle of a Vibroplex Original  (Read 19620 times)
WA7OPV

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »

In my novice days, I purchased a 1950's Vibroplex original from a former Railroad operator.  I soon thereafter dropped the thing and broke the main spring.  Being a poor teenager I began to send with the dash contact of the bug and got quite good at it.  I have never used a keyer and don't want to.

Many years later I got the key restored by Vibroplex, and intend to keep it as a bug.  I would like to purchase a straight key that lets me use my wrist-rotating motion to send like the dash contact of my bug. 

Any recommendations?

-david BTW
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:56 AM »

Side swiper?
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:09:32 AM »

Buy a J-38, and a set of right-angle steel brackets at the hardware store.

Mount the brackets on a base, and mount the J-38 on the brackets.  That will give you a straight key, with sideways activation.

There is precedent for this.  One of the early designs for an iambic paddle used two J-38's, back-to-back.

Or, use any iambic (or single-lever) paddle, and ignore one paddle.   [A sideswiper has a different action -- there's no positive center stop.]

.             charles
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »

Use your bug,  just use the dah side for staight key keying and then as a regular  bug when you want to go full semi auto keying, if you own the Vibrobroplex already then no need to buy an additional key unless you  just want to.  I also like the feel of using my bug as a straight key, I find the comfort level  much higher then using a standard straight key and you can really send pretty fast with it that way. Side keying with the dah side I can send 25 wpm easy and never really get tired, I use  my two fingers and tap away, it works like a champ.  Just make sure if your a hard pounder that the bug does not slide on you if your desk is smooth,   Good luck and have fun ,keep CW alive no matter how you like to send,  73 Jim N0XE
WA7OPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »

Hi N0XE!

The only problem I have with staying with the bug, is that I find I have to set the stops so that the dit side cannot operate otherwise I sometimes overshoot and cause a errant dit.  I was hoping to avoid having to fiddle with the key between modes.  It might be worth it. 

Thanks for the input

-david BTW
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:16:25 PM by WA7OPV » Logged
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »

I used to use my Bug's "dah" side when working with a new ham who couldn't quite copy the Bug at around 15WPM - the slowest I could set it with the pendulum loaded down with clothespins  Grin .

This was back in the very early '60s - I referred to it as "working Single Sidekey".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »

Try a Vibroplex Vibrokeyer.  It is a single lever paddle that is mostly made from Vibroplex
Original parts (no mainspring) on a smaller base.  You can wire it up like a straight key using only the dash side and lockout the dit side with the adjustment screws if you like.  This should give you the right feel.

http://vibroplex.com/vibrokeyer.html

In my novice days, I purchased a 1950's Vibroplex original from a former Railroad operator.  I soon thereafter dropped the thing and broke the main spring.  Being a poor teenager I began to send with the dash contact of the bug and got quite good at it.  I have never used a keyer and don't want to.

Many years later I got the key restored by Vibroplex, and intend to keep it as a bug.  I would like to purchase a straight key that lets me use my wrist-rotating motion to send like the dash contact of my bug. 

Any recommendations?

-david BTW
WA7OPV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »

Good Suggestion, one I had not considered.

TNX,

-david BTW
WV1N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:09 AM »

Slide a business card or painter's tape between the dot contacts to prevent the overshoot contact. 

Bill, WV1N

The only problem I have with staying with the bug, is that I find I have to set the stops so that the dit side cannot operate otherwise I sometimes overshoot and cause a errant dit.  I was hoping to avoid having to fiddle with the key between modes.  It might be worth it. 

Thanks for the input

-david BTW
[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: