Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unpatriotic activity?  (Read 4454 times)
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »

I use a CB in my Jeep for off-roading.  While they aren't very popular with the general public these days, they are still used a lot in off-road activities.  Now that I am getting into this, I'll be running both a CB and a mobile ham radio.

CB is just sort of a wide-open do and say what you want system in the US.  Ham radio, I've learned, has a whole set of required legal standards, and a more respectful social protocol in general.  Still, this is much like anything else.  Humans like to visualize themselves being in some kind of "tribe" and unfortunately, the "us vs them" attitude is a common human trait that some cannot overcome.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »

I have my dad's CB license from the early 1960's.  My hometown had a major flash flood that disrupted local public service communications.  Mom and dad provided EMCOMM during this disaster.  I wish I still had my birth announcement (born during dad's cb time)  It said that a he had a new harmonic.

Randy ka4nma
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »

This is the first I have heard of any 'unpatriotic' claims against ROS, but not surprising given the hard feelings that developed over the ROS mode banning in the US.

-Senor Ros, is Spanish, was a programmer but not a ham, and English was clearly not native to him.

-Sr. Ros did not fully understand amateur protocols. He made exaggerated claims for his mode, and expected to be greeted with universal acclaim as a hero.  He did not accept questions and criticism well.

-When the ARRL tested his claims and asked for a ruling from the FCC, Sr. Ros took this as a personal attack by the ARRL.  In retaliation he modified his software at one time to reject US ham use.

That's a thumb nail sketch of the history.  I hope some day that the mode will be authorized in the US and the petty actions forgotten.  b.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 03:21:28 AM »

Where can I find a detailed description of ROS? Several pages exist on Yahoo on it, but no details of how it works and what the spectrum is, what limitations it has (if any) in terms of differential group delay and multipath, required Eb/No etc?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

Truckers are the 'intended users' of CB?  Truckers took up using CB long after the FCC took 11 meters away from hams and enacted the original 'CB' band.  It wasn't called the truckers band, after all.  CB was meant for the general citizenry to have access to a radio band for enjoyment and short range personal communications.

The uses that truckers put CB to were originally to keep long haul truckers alert and awake during their driving stints.  Then it was for them to keep each other informed about driving and road conditions, then to warn each other about police activity--or 'smokie reports' as they used to be called.  Then companies with loading/unloading facilities got into the picture and started using the CB frequencies as an easy way to get truckers to their assigned docks and doors to back their rig into to unload/load.

Now it seems that the truckers are the predominant users of the CB frequencies, at least here in the US-- especially on channels 19--the general road frequency, and 9, the CB 'emergency' frequency.  The upper frequencies, channels 30 to 40 are used by sidebanders most of the time with the rest used locally by whoever wants to use them--these days hardly anybody.  The FRS radios are more popular now for good reason for those who want short distance comms.

Now to enforcement.  A local man (in my area) was brazenly open about his CB uses--including high power transmissions--with the belief that the FCC couldn't be bothered.  Well, he was active for about 2 years--till the day when the FCC, the federal marshalls, and the state police paid him a visit.  They confiscated ALL of his radio gear, cut coax just about wherever they found it, pulled down the antennas he had up--including on his van--and slapped him with fines totalling in excess of $10,000!  It turns out that they had over a years worth of recordings where he identified himself and his location and brazenly stated--many time--that he couldn't care less about the 'feds.'

The FCC listens to complaints--and to the bands about which the complaints are made, and takes action if the situation in their opinion warrants it.  If you want to read more, google 'FM broadcast band pirates' to see what they do to unlicensed FM broadcast stations, especially in Florida.  73!

The FCC has really gone after FM pirates. Here in Northern California, where we had a HUGE illegal FM scene in the 90s, the FCC has licensed so many legal FM stn's in San Francisco and Sacramento that they've virtually eliminated "dead air" on FM, and squeezed out the pirates. It used to be I could hear San Francisco, Stockton, and Chico on FM from my Sacramento QTH, but no more. It was a genius move from the cops' perspective, the only problem is that now we have too many FM stations for the population, and they beat each other over the head for a 1.2 rating.

As I said, the FCC will go after flagrant violators. Publicly thumbing your nose at the FCC is guaranteed to get you a visit-don't wake Smokey Bear from his sleep! Interfering with VHF, like the guy in Merced, CA who was knocking out his local fire dept's 2m freq, is another way to get caught.

My dad bought FRS radios for use around the house, the only problem is, the freqs are so crowded that you can't find any dead air. Today he uses my old toy walkie talkies from the 80s, I think they're GE System 3's and operate on 6m.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

Legal limit for CB in USA is FOUR watts RF output.  The (really!) old "five watt" limit referred to DC power input to the final amplifier.

Like the (really!) old ham power limit of 1KW; that was DC input.

It seems that power used to be measured by DC power input. The manual for my Kenwood 130 (1980s) measures it in this way, noting 200 W PEP. RF output is something different, I usually get 110w RF output to a dummy load. I'm old enough to remember both, and I frequently get confused. I welcome being corrected.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »

It seems that power used to be measured by DC power input.

That's because we didn't used to have reasonably accurate, low cost power meters and measuring output power was not possible at most stations. Measuring DC input power was easy - plate voltage x plate current. Limiting DC input power had the effect of limiting output power except in the case of a grounded grid amplifier where output power = DC input power plus drive power.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »

The further away from the big city  and its  population of freaks with their own page in the DSM 4 the more useful CB can be.  On the private logging trails in Maine it's wise to monitor 19 before entering a road from a side trail. The logging trucks don't stop well.   I can see the usefulness for loading docks and such also. Nobody I know objects to such uses, but the filthy language doesn't help their "image.  I understand  truckers, tired of listening to the freaks babbling on 19, are trying FRS radios instead. I have heard a little of that on the scanner.    Somewhere on the interweb is a tape made on an island in the South Pacific of 19 when the band was open.  It doesn't do the image of the USA any good. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: