Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec Argonaut VI on sale now for $799.00  (Read 8254 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »

I just noticed that Ten-Tec has the Argonaut VI on sale now for $799.00. That is $270.95 of the regular price.

http://www.tentec.com/argonaut-vi-qrp-1-10-watt-transceiver-summer-package-special/

Zack
N8FNR
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »

Actually that price is for a bundled package that includes a mic and the 700Hz roofing filter. Not a bad deal...

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »

Price now with options is where it should have been the whole time, Thanks for waking up Ten-Tec......
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

So, I was thinking of the Argo VI --  although the Eagle is quite a deal right now too.  My question is: if my budget only allows for one rig -- can 10 watts keep me happy?  I like the idea and thrill of efficient, low power communications -- but just wondering if any out there do QRP and only QRP and are happy? 

I only have a modest antenna budget -- a tree is my tower -- but i do plan on working more on antennas if i go the QRP route.

i like to DX, but having gotten 100 countries LoTW confirmed on the high bands, and after doing so the challenge is not there any more.  i suppose QRP would change that LOL.

so what would be your advice regarding getting a QRP only rig to stay in budget, or spending a bit more for 100 watts for an excellent deal?
(i know the Eagle can be used at 5 watts, but for some reason it would be a lot harder to keep the output that low for me)
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »

"so what would be your advice regarding getting a QRP only rig to stay in budget, or spending a bit more for 100 watts for an excellent deal?
(i know the Eagle can be used at 5 watts, but for some reason it would be a lot harder to keep the output that low for me)"

I can only speak of my experiences with QRP. There have been several times, periods lasting for several years at a time, where the only radio's I had to operate were QRP. I've gone back through my logs looking at those times and see that, really, there was never a time when I wasn't getting on and making QSO's. In fact my first time wading out into these waters I was using a 40 meter dipole at something like 15 feet. I regularly worked all three coasts (from ND) running an old Argo 509. None of can tell what you "should" do but I would counsel that it can and has been done. I've been a ham since 1979 and I will say that those times were special.
FWIW

DOC WB0FDJ
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »

to-DOC WB0FDJ

Indeed, Doc 1979 was a special time .....many, many fine memories.....

my BEST t0 you....with many 72.....and GD DX Doc.

Regards,
 Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp - A TRUE ALL AMERICAN MADE 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »

I can only speak of my experiences with QRP. There have been several times, periods lasting for several years at a time, where the only radio's I had to operate were QRP. I've gone back through my logs looking at those times and see that, really, there was never a time when I wasn't getting on and making QSO's. In fact my first time wading out into these waters I was using a 40 meter dipole at something like 15 feet. I regularly worked all three coasts (from ND) running an old Argo 509. None of can tell what you "should" do but I would counsel that it can and has been done. I've been a ham since 1979 and I will say that those times were special.
FWIW

DOC WB0FDJ

Thanks for the input Doc.  I suspect QRP would hook me. 

One thing I noticed -- your QRZ page mentions you were first licensed in 1971 but above you say you have been a ham since 1979...  do you mean you have been a QRP owner and enthusiast since 1979?  Smiley

to TPU Don -- you have 320 countries confirmed QRP???  Shocked 

how often do you operate non-QRP -- if at all?

WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »

To -K9AIM......

Yep! 320 countries conformed via Qrp. Yep! I only operate as a Qrp station--6 watts is Qro to me.
Best regards with many 72,
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/qrp --

Also.........Via Wayne N6KR on the Elecraft reflector:

"I wanted to acknowledge what is, to the best of my knowledge, a unique feat by Don Bush, WA2TPU. He has achieved DXCC (over 100 countries worked) on every ham band from 160-6 meters, excluding 60 meters, running 5 watts or less for all QSOs. He used a mix of modes, and 100% natural power (off the grid, in other words). He used a variety of transceivers.

Don was issued the only 10-band QRP DXCC certificate in the history of QRP ARCI on April 4th, 2014. (In fact he was also issued the only 8- and 9-band QRP DXCC certificates a couple of months earlier. I'm not sure if 11 bands is even possible, but I'm sure he'd go for it

It takes a lot of persistence to pull this off. Don did it over about 30 years, using various hand-built log-periodics, Yagis, quads, delta loops, Sterba curtains, phased verticals, rhombics, etc. I'm hoping to see his station someday."

Congrats Don!
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »

I remember a common complaint with the Argonaut V was that it drew a lot of current for a QRP rig and wouldn't work once the supply voltage sagged much at all.  It was not conducive to operating in the field with a SLA battery.  Anyone know what the cut-off voltage is for the new Argonaut?
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »

I remember a common complaint with the Argonaut V was that it drew a lot of current for a QRP rig and wouldn't work once the supply voltage sagged much at all.  It was not conducive to operating in the field with a SLA battery.  Anyone know what the cut-off voltage is for the new Argonaut?

Per the QST review at 13.8VDC it draws .57 amps in RX and 3.39 amps at 10 watts TX. Operation confirmed at 9.5 VDC (8.5 watts oputput).

Zack
N8FNR
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »

Per the QST review at 13.8VDC it draws .57 amps in RX and 3.39 amps at 10 watts TX. Operation confirmed at 9.5 VDC (8.5 watts oputput).

Zack
N8FNR

Thanks!
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 05:58:11 AM »

Zack
N8FNR

I believe MFJ, and maybe others, make a booster inverter that will supply a constant voltage as the battery sags. That might be an option for the older versions.

Pete
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »

I ordered a VI on 7/24 and was told at that time that it would be 8-12 weeks before it would ship to me. At the going price I don't mind.

BTW the sale ends on 7/31/2014 so if you want one you better order it very soon!

Zack
N8FNR
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »

To K9AIM

I must be getting old. I was licensed as WN0FDJ in 1971. Really didn't do any QRP until 1979 when I bought a new Argo 509. The bug bit me hard after that!

73/72

Doc WB0FDJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: