Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Meter QRP?  (Read 4433 times)
KD4TVB

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:18:36 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Does you QRP on ten meters?
I was wondering if the QRP operators have a call freqency on ten meters?
I would like to help any QRP stations that need North Carolina for WAS.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
ncphotos@gmail.com,

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »

I haven't run QRP on 10M lately, but for years I used converted CB radios on 10M since they were so cheap.  My first was a Sears Roadtalker40 that I modified for 10M back in the late 70s.  My last was a Cobra 146GTL in the 90s.  When conditions are right, you can have a ball.  My best DX occurred one morning on the way to work when I called CQ and a ham in Belgrade, Yugoslavia answered me.  Just running the Roadtalker40 and a shortened mag-mount converted CB whip.  This was during a sunspot maximum though.

Phil - AD5X
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »

The 10 meter QRP calling frequency is 28.060 MHZ. Not too busy now. Maybe in the fall, winter, and spring when high band conditions improve in the northern hemisphere. All that also depends on what the sun is doing. If conditions are good the QRP frequency will be filled with trans-Atlantic 2xQRP QSO's. Unfortunately this solar cycle has been somewhat of a dud.
When condx are good, working the world on literally milliwatts is not uncommon on 10 meters.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »

Ten meters is great for QRP!  Smiley  When the band is dead, it's darned lonely on ten, but when it's open, it's a bunch of fun.   One of the most fun QSOs I've had in years was working Australia last year on ten, with five watts, sitting in a lawn chair in my back garden, drinking a beer, using a little gel-cell for power.  That was a HOOT!  Smiley
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »

10 is a good band for QRP as is 15 and 17.

I run a HB SSB radio on 10 for QRP.

About 4W into a K6STI loop up high or the par EF40/20/10.  Local coverage is good and
when the band opens  it's killer.

As to 10 being dead...  Back in 2011 I kept hearing that so I played some and in 5 months
(jan through may) ran 80 countries on 10M at SSB QRP power on a dead band.  Due to other
activities I missed the huge band opening that fall that was near legendary.

We are coming up on the fall again and ten seems to open during that time.

You can make contacts if your not calling.  SSB call is around 28.400 (.385 for QRP).

Allison
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »

As to 10 being dead...  Back in 2011 I kept hearing that so I played some and in 5 months
(jan through may) ran 80 countries on 10M at SSB QRP power on a dead band.  Due to other

Allison

Very nice. 10 will have trans equatorial prop even in bad years. And you are in a great place to work EU. And just because there aren't many or any signals doesn't mean the band is dead (as you well know  Grin) I'm sorry you missed fall of 2011. It was good and brought back memories of some great 10 meter years. One of my best QSO's from fall 2011 was BV2GC in Taiwan. I was running my K2 @ 5 watts to my HF5B.
Also don't forget 12 meters - another fun band for QRPers
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »

I used to run a Small Wonder Labs PSK-10, 10m QRP PSK-31
rig built from a kit. Basically a fixed frequency (28.120 MHz) SSB
transceiver.

It was a lot of fun but I sold it to raise money
for a K2. I have kicked myself repeatedly for that. SWL didn't make
or sell many PSK-10's, they are now quite hard to find, and the guys
who have them don't want to sell them. If you see one for sale, get it
if you are interested in 10m QRP.

Ken,  AD6KA
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »

I haven't run QRP on 10M lately, but for years I used converted CB radios on 10M since they were so cheap.  My first was a Sears Roadtalker40 that I modified for 10M back in the late 70s.  My last was a Cobra 146GTL in the 90s.  When conditions are right, you can have a ball.  My best DX occurred one morning on the way to work when I called CQ and a ham in Belgrade, Yugoslavia answered me.  Just running the Roadtalker40 and a shortened mag-mount converted CB whip.  This was during a sunspot maximum though.

Phil - AD5X

Wow, that is great Phil. I think it is a lot of fun to work station on 10 meters from the mobile.
I made several mobile contact back in 1992 when I first got my ticket. The 10 meter band was open almost 24 hours a day.
I would like to try to work you on 10 meters.
When is a good time for you?
I get home from work around 19:00 UTC.
If you would like to pick a time we can call each other on 28.385.

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
ncphotos@gmail.com,
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

10 is a good band for QRP as is 15 and 17.

I run a HB SSB radio on 10 for QRP.

About 4W into a K6STI loop up high or the par EF40/20/10.  Local coverage is good and
when the band opens  it's killer.

We are coming up on the fall again and ten seems to open during that time.

You can make contacts if your not calling.  SSB call is around 28.400 (.385 for QRP).

Allison

Hi Allison,

I would like to set up a schedule to work try to work you on ten meters.
When are you available?
You pick the time and we will call each other on 28.385.
I get home from work around 19:00 UTC.

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
ncphotos@gmail.com,
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »

Charles, you might also give a listen for the Orange County Radio Assn's weekly 10m net:  "Weekly Monday 10M Net on 28.450 Mhz. The Net meets every Monday except the second Monday of the month, which is the Club Meeting. Net Control is Bruce, N1LN, and is an open net for anyone, anywhere to join in."
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »

Charles, you might also give a listen for the Orange County Radio Assn's weekly 10m net:  "Weekly Monday 10M Net on 28.450 Mhz. The Net meets every Monday except the second Monday of the month, which is the Club Meeting. Net Control is Bruce, N1LN, and is an open net for anyone, anywhere to join in."
OK, I will listen for the net on 28.450.
What time does it start?

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »

Ooops, sorry!  I didn't check carefully enough when I was pasting that in.  The Orange County (NC) 10m net is 8pm on Mondays.  We often get checkins from around the country--it's great fun to have people drop in from all over!  Everybody is welcome, 28450 +/- for QRM, 8pm Mondays!
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

Ooops, sorry!  I didn't check carefully enough when I was pasting that in.  The Orange County (NC) 10m net is 8pm on Mondays.  We often get checkins from around the country--it's great fun to have people drop in from all over!  Everybody is welcome, 28450 +/- for QRM, 8pm Mondays!

No problem, I will be listening and hope we can check-in with the net.
I am on 28.450 now if you get on before the net give me a call and we can check and see if we hear each other.

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
ncphotos@gmail.com,
I am ncphotos on youtube & I have several videos about ham radio if you get a chance to check them oout.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »

My hours are often random but I do listen when I can.

Nominal listening is both 6MSSB and 10M SSB as I have the antennas to do that, and more.

Wire is cheap and fun.

And Yes, the TEP propagaion is the mid to late afternoon (east coast) is fairly reliable.

Allison
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

My hours are often random but I do listen when I can.

Nominal listening is both 6MSSB and 10M SSB as I have the antennas to do that, and more.

Wire is cheap and fun.

And Yes, the TEP propagaion is the mid to late afternoon (east coast) is fairly reliable.

Allison

OK, Allison that sounds good.
Give me a call in the evening when you are on 28.385 and I will all you when I am on also.
Hopefully we can talk soon. If you want you can send me a text message letting me know you are calling me.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
828-231-5460,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: