Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Special Event Stations: Excuses for, and really good ones  (Read 7791 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »

Which special event stations leave you "flat," bored, uninterested,  and which ones excite you enough to jump in and make a contact...or even  just read the mail as it goes along?

What does it take for success with a SES?

Have you heard any recent unusual ones- meaning   not a cookie-cutter SES, but something fresh, interesting, educational, or just plain fun?

My  favorite in recent years was the creation of the Ohio State Parks on the Air Contest, this coming Sep 8th.  The idea:  get Ohio hams off their duffs and out to as many state parks as possible, for an 8 hour event.  Its kinda like FD but  encourages discovery of whats right in front of us....our state park system.  You can camp, go for the day, or rent a cabin for a couple of nights, so you can do the  low key contest, as well as what the park offers too.

The Goal: work all the Ohio state  parks. 

This is really   good for QRP or 100w NVIS set ups on 80-40M, but also lets you spread the wealth on 20-15-10 too.

Try it. You'll be surprised what else you  discover while having fun.

And clearly, it's a good idea, because other states, like Indiana, Georgia, and Texas  are starting their own.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »

The 13 Original Colonies Special Event has appeal that seems to span geographical borders.  When you hear of DX stations that have achieved the thirteen contacts necessary for a "clean sweep", you know you have a winner.
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:09:03 AM »

This is an interesting thread as my local club just decided to do a Special Event.

Our special event is the 60th anniversary of the founding of our club.

We are currently working on a certificate and special QSL.

I would like to see any tips or suggestions to help make this a successful event.

Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »

This is an interesting thread as my local club just decided to do a Special Event.

Our special event is the 60th anniversary of the founding of our club.

We are currently working on a certificate and special QSL.

I would like to see any tips or suggestions to help make this a successful event.

Dan
Is their any special significance to your club that would make operators from another area interested in working your SE station(s)?  If not, your audience would seem to center on current and past members.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

The Kansas State QSO Party had a little challenge that made it a lot more interesting. They are running a large number of three-letter special event stations. If you get the last letters that spell "KANSAS" or "SUNFLOWER," you get a certificate and one or two antique stamps. Similar to getting all 13 colonies.

I may swipe that idea next year.  Grin

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: