Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANY LOGGING SOFTWARE RECOMMENDATIONS????  (Read 27064 times)
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

Stan, you are incorrect.

1. $99.95 is for a lifetime license for 6.  Not $100 every year
2. It's optional 1/2 of retail to renew every year ($49.95). If under warranty, you get new features in the releases, if not, you just get bug fixes.
3. 6.0 and 6.1 do support FSK...6.1 supports more interfaces than 6.0, but it is in 6.0.

See here

http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/products/subscription.html

And FSK

http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/newsletter/Jan22.html

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »

Stan, we've been able to hire 9 people with the revenue from HRD sales.. It is still VERY popular and we have the revenue to continue development.  6.1 hits soon and everyone who puchased 6 gets 6.1 for free.

It is popular because it is a very good program that does many thing well. I have tried the Version 6.0 trial and I liked it. However I had 2 problems with it.

1. It did not support FSK - a must for me.

I am still using v5 and FSK is also a must for me... at least for contesting and for that I have N1MM with the MMTTY and 2Tone back end. Add this to the RTTY-specific features of my radio that are only available in FSK mode, this makes for a terrific combination.

But to be honest, I just don't do that much casual RTTY work any more to make FSK worth $100. Besides, I still have AFSK as my "Plan B" in case I run across an unexpected "rare one". If there is a DXPedition or some other "gotta have" situation, I will just fire up MMTTY and transfer the log over to HRD... assuming I make the contact!

So for now, I am going to hang on to this...

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »

I have used darn near every logging/digital program out there, many of which no longer exist.

I don't understand why some people will pay 50 to 100 bucks for a program, then pay an annual "support fee" when the best of the best is free.   If you are looking for a pretty program you might not like DXLabs, but if you want total functionality with almost instant support, go with DXLabs.

Here is my problem with DX LABS and I have tried to like it many times. It "ain't pretty" as you say (and that is being kind) and to me it does not look like a Windows program. There are entirely too many windows to keep track with all those different programs. And the learning curve is S T E E P. DX LABS is a long way from being intuitive.

IMO DxLabs is free because it can not compete with well designed, intuitive programs like Logic, Commcat, HRD and several others.  DxLabs is popular, no doubt. It is free and hams like free. Being popular does not make it a great program. Start charging $50 for Dx Labs and all of a sudden it is not popular as it once was. Ask HRD about that.  Wink

I realize that I will probably get flamed and AA6YQ will try to disprove me but this is the truth as I and many others see it.

Stan K9IUQ

Could not agree with more Stan. Great capabilities terrible interface

Don KF7DS
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »

But to be honest, I just don't do that much casual RTTY work any more to make FSK worth $100.
So for now, I am going to hang on to this...
$$$$$$$$$$$

My thoughts exactly. I do like HRD especially DM780. but it is not worth $100 to me. I use a TS-590s which thanks to Kenwood comes with an outstanding (free) Rigcontrol program. I use Commcat for logging (and other stuff). I like the Commcat logger much better than the HRD logger. So that leaves DM780 for the digital stuff. However I use FliDigi and MMTTY/MMVARI for digital. All freebies.

I do like the PSK sweeper in DM780 but on the other hand I prefer MMTTY for RTTY because of MMTTY's tuning scope. I am hanging onto my $100 also..

Stan K9IUQ
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »

I use a TS-590s which thanks to Kenwood comes with an outstanding (free) Rigcontrol program.

Stan K9IUQ

You do realize the cost of development of the software is added to the price of the radio, with or without software, right?

So you and others are 'paying' for 'free' software with the cost of the radio.  Hardware vendors do that all the time, it's a hidden cost. Wink

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »

You do realize the cost of development of the software is added to the price of the radio, with or without software, right?

So you and others are 'paying' for 'free' software with the cost of the radio.  Hardware vendors do that all the time, it's a hidden cost. Wink

Of course there is no free ride when it comes to paying for anything.
BUT The Kenwood TS-590s/w free software which is priced around $1500 is a much better value than all those other $1500 radios that do NOT provide the software. Icom is a good example as they want $95 for their rig control software and their IC7410/7100 are both priced in the $1600 range with no software...

Like most hams I am Cheap. Heck even the rich Hams are Cheap. What I look for in anything I buy is Value (and Quality) for the $$$. So Far HRD has not met my standard of value. It may someday, if it ever goes on sale at a more reasonable (to me) price.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:13:13 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KG5VK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »

see my feedback in the other thread.......

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,91966.0.html

short answer is I prefer and use DXlabs for general use
N1mm for contest work

cheers!

steve
KG5VK
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »

I use DXlabs. One good thing about DXlabs is that I can ask for a feature and if Dave thinks it's reasonable I can get a beta copy of the new feature within a week. Try that with any commercial product!

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »

Try that with any commercial product!

I have many times.

I use Commcat and HRD. Both are commercial loggers.  Howard Nurse (Commcat) is an excellent responder to suggestions and or bugs. I also used Logic logger for 20 years and their support is second to nobody. I know all this from first hand experience. Also the HRD boys seem very responsive to suggestions and bugs. HRD is head and shoulders a better Logger than DXLabs.

HRD costs $100 and Commcat $50. Dxlabs costs $0 and it is worth that.

Stan K9IUQ

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »

Log4OM is a GREAT new program that focuses on being a Logbook first and foremost.  It has rig control and DXCluster support, but that is secondary to the primary function of being the best Logbook around. It supports everything you have asked for and is simple to setup, but can also grow with you.  I have really grown to like Log4OM and it is now my primary logbook and I think the best on Windows.   Log4OM can be found at http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/ and the latest version (v1.15) was just released today!

I sat down and I tried about 5 different logging programs this last weekend, some paid some not, and I finally settled on Log4OM. It just seemed easier to learn, easier to navigate, and it is free. Although I'm just getting back into this hobby and might change logging programs later, for now I think I'll use Log4OM.
N9TGR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »

I have just switched to LOG4OM after searching for a long time,tried Commcat and it worked great but never liked the layout. I had been a logwindows user since the mid 90s but support was clearly lacking and a few years ago I started experimenting with the various programs out there ,I tried them all and finally settled on LOG4OM for its simple layout and does everything I need. LOTW ,EQSL ,several DX clusters at once as well as rig/rotor control. Try it you wont be disappointed.

Andy  N9TGR
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

Well I'm finally tired of paper logs and it's time to transfer all my info onto a logging software and just use the new software for when i make future contacts. Can anyone recommend a good software that's very easy to use but that has alot of features for serious DX'ers as well such as QRZ look up, Beam headings, LotW, Award tracking, eQSL's and all the other bells and whistles at the click of a finger

Thanks
Shane W4SCW
You might look at ACLog by N3FJP.  I have a review of it at:
http://nk7z.net/review-of-n3fjps-ac-log-4/

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 09:08:36 AM »

see my feedback in the other thread.......

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,91966.0.html

short answer is I prefer and use DXlabs for general use
N1mm for contest work

cheers!

steve
KG5VK

Agreed.

The learning curve for the DXlabs suite is only steep if you try to learn every feature in a short amount of time. I started with basic logging, grew in to awards tracking, then added additional features as I required them over a long time. Also, DXlabs has better support than most paid software I've used.
SM0IMJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »

UcxLog for daily logging
Win-Test for contesting
These two give me a good combination for the daily rag/DX-hunting and the 160 Q/h contesting
It's difficult to use a hammer as a screwdriver Wink

Proud Ham Operator Smiley
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

Another vote for DXlabs. I have used many of the available programs and I always come back to DXLabs. It just works. It is not perfect, no program will be the ideal to every user but it is as close I have been able to find. It is stable never fails and always works. The multitude of windows allows me to be selective on what I see and allows arrangement as I choose. Trying to provide as much information as DXLabs makes available on a single screen would be unusable.

Dave has every right to be proud of his creation and his support is also second to none. If one can learn amateur radio you can learn this software, if you can't you should probably turn off your radio and take up another hobby.

But as already recommended, try the available software and use what feels right for you and meets your needs.

Andy
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: