Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawaii QSO Party This Weekend  (Read 6242 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »

The Hawaii QSO Party is this Weekend.

It's from 0400z (6pm Hawaii Time) Friday thru Sunday 0400z.   (Info below)

I'll be working RTTY primarily.   From 10M down to 160M (give 160M a shot).  

I'll be active from 0400z thru about 1000z or so and then 1600-1800z and back to 0100z or so.   We'll see.

If anyone needs RTTY Hawaii - I think about 4 or so HI stations will be active on RTTY.

I'd like to get a bunch of QSOs on 40 and 80m.

EU over the pole works but it can be challenging for me (RTTY) sometimes, it hards to get a consistent call sign fix.. keep asking AGN?  AGN?  etc.

Of course you'll have your big stations working CW and SSB as well.

I'll be on the cluster with 40-160m especially... no mans land...   Grin

(Edit - better link)

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php#4823
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:13:48 PM by WH7DX » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »

I'll be looking for you Bryan.  I mostly plan on playing with the SCC RTTY contest also.  Should make for an interesting weekend.

Randy AJ7G
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »

Should make for an interesting weekend.

Fingers crossed--the other evening, 12 meters was jumping.  From eastern USA I worked a bunch of EU and a KH6.  So it might not just be 40 and 80 that produce fun this weekend.  Smiley
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »

I'll be looking for you Bryan.  I mostly plan on playing with the SCC RTTY contest also.  Should make for an interesting weekend.

Randy AJ7G

I think I'll be poking around with that one as well.    Have fun!!
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:36:53 AM »

Looks like the Hawaii QSO Party had quite a few stations and the large ones were really busy - many thousands of QSOs (those guys are animals!)  It will be interesting to see the figures.   It was a mellow friendly contest overall.   Lot's of Aloha's.

For me - mostly RTTY, having the SCC RTTY at the same time made it very slow for HQP RTTY and confusing.   Our exchange with W/VE was State/Province and with DX it was just 599.  Many times QSOs would ask for a Number?.. They wanted the year licensed.   It's kind of hard to explain in RTTY versus SSB.  Not many wanted to divert time to HQP versus SCC for the one day.

I worked both contests and during my sunset on Saturday night went straight to SCC until midnight.   On Sunday I tried 10M and such but nothing going on in the day.   I came on 20M at 4:00pm local time with 2 hours left in the contest and had the highest QSO rate and most fun for the next 30+ minutes.   I had fun regardless but was feeling a little down with my QSOs into the U.S... (the mainland is not my strongest area because of the mountain I'm on/against)   I had a string of about 25 QSO right after another..   it was a blast...  The grey line brought in strong contacts with MO, MS, NY, RI, SC, WV etc..   That made my day and contest..  then all of a sudden it shut down on 20M like a switch at 4:45pm (kinda early?).  Went to 15m but not much going on.. a few JAs.  40M wasn't happening yet.   Oh well.    I think grey line was still working - I just ran out of interested RTTY at the time..  Grin  

Considering everything..  I ended up with just shy of 100 QSOs - 29 DX Countries, 21 States.  I think there was only one other RTTY in Hawaii this year (KH7M which wasn't very active but had a great signal into the U.S. being on the Eastern Side of the Big Island).  When he was on - he was working QSOs I couldn't hear.   I'll need to look at the RTTY contest schedule next year.

Thank you K6GHA (if you're out there) for my first 80M RTTY and he was QRP!   Worked him on a few other bands.   N7NM thank you for 4 Bands and 80M as well.   Almost got the guys on the east coast (N4EMP was one).  80M was too weak and it was up and down big time.  We tried.

Got 2 new DX - Singapore and Bangladesh.

Looking forward to the CQ WW RTTY next month.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:02:59 PM by WH7DX » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: