Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North America QSO Party  (Read 4779 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »

Well so far... I'm at home.. pupus (snacks  Grin) are out and NO ONE is here...  Grin   Not much of a Party...

I can literally hear NOTHING..  This AM - one CA off the backside of his beam.  Then DEAD...  There is no one on 15,17 or 20 right now...  Grin

All I have is static..  can't even hear anyone in Hawaii who has a better shot of the U.S. than me...   nothing...

So perhaps later like 3pm local time - I get to try 100W from KH6... everyone on the west coast will be beaming to the East Coast and everyone on the East Coast will be picking up the signals on the West Coast...  Grin

Oh well... maybe the M3 at us will stir things up...  Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:47:32 PM by WH7DX » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:36:33 AM »

Bryan, you might want to consider contest with an international flavor.  It seems like almost every weekend there's an EU contest going on and there always a blast and have a bunch of activity.  My scores are never high but they always provide me with a lot of fun.  I've been working the SARTG RTTY contest this weekend and I've worked a station from HI and he's beaten the socks off me as far as Q's worked , WOW.  He's over 600 Q's but I don't know if it's a contest station or an individual.  So HI must have some fairly good propagation at times.

The solar activity has been terrible this weekend and for most contest weekends this summer.  If it's not the solar storms I have to deal it's the thunderstorms here in Florida.  Just as the band was starting to open up here comes a thunderstorm and out I go to unplug everything.  Oh well, that's life and fun in paradise.

Randy AJ7G
KK6DCT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:41:15 AM »

With all the overlapping special events (Lighthouses/Lightships) and contests I was thinking the bands would be hopping this weekend. Yesterday was quiet on 20m - I worked a few stations doing the SARTG contest yesterday as I was working out how to set up my macros ready for the RTTY Rookie Roundup today... and yes, I'm sorry to the operators who I mistakenly sent the Rookie Roundup exchange to by mistake Grin
There was also a bunch of JT65 in the morning and later in the evening... even when there's absolutely nothing else on 20m there always seems to be JT65 activity which are pretty easy contacts.

Kevin KK6DCT
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

There was a dual M-Class solar flare yesterday.
It wiped out HF propagation for a while.

Occurred around 1830 utc.

I couldn't hear much during that time in the SARTG RTTY contest.

Hey Randy AJ7G
Thanx for the Q's in SARTG.

bill
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »

Thanx for the Q's in SARTG
bill

I felt conditions to JA and Asia were superb on 15M Saturday afternoon and very good Sunday AM to EU. Wonder if these flares can enhance certain paths?

I remember late last spring there was a superb late afternoon on 10m and 12m to asia/oceania, right before a major flare hit us. I was cq'ing and ja's were coming back with "are you Really on East coast?" I wonder if that was a flare enhancement right before the wipeout?

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »

Thanx for the Q's in SARTG
bill

I felt conditions to JA and Asia were superb on 15M Saturday afternoon and very good Sunday AM to EU. Wonder if these flares can enhance certain paths?

I remember late last spring there was a superb late afternoon on 10m and 12m to asia/oceania, right before a major flare hit us. I was cq'ing and ja's were coming back with "are you Really on East coast?" I wonder if that was a flare enhancement right before the wipeout?

I remember that as well..  Charged atmosphere but not too much - great conditions - not much noise - and then it's static...   It's hard to tell at times.   It can be K4-5 and still solid with low noise.

I'm new to this.. I don't understand what happens during the Summer that shuts down Hawaii for example from 8am until about 3pm?    I think the MUF is in the 30 range.   What happens that shuts 20M for example during most of the day?   I understand why LP South shuts down (or think I do).   

Randy - the conditions for the QSO got better as expected during the afternoon.  Out in Hawaii we had about 5 hours to work it.   I left for my sons Varsity Football game.   They should go 800w of power or 500w of power.  Not a big deal..  They can call it the QSO Whisper Party...  Grin   

I did the SARTG contest.   That was fun!   I only worked about 4 hours but I had about 80 QSOs.    You must be talking about KH6ZM - Massimo on the Big Island.   Funny story..   I worked most of the QSOs the first night.. a TON of JAs.  A few EU and others.    After the football game last night I game back for the last leg which was 10pm till about 6am out here.   It looked like most of those on were dupes.   I called on 20M and got a few JAs.   Nothing in EU or the U.S.   Figured I try 40M - there was KH6ZM.. worked him - he was 627 or something.. told him "Nice Job!"... I moved down a little and called.. nothing.. I figured.. let's go to 80M.  I go to 3.590 and right before I got my Amp and Tuner set - in comes KH6ZM... I laughed..  Another contact with him..   "That was Funny!"...  80M was dead and I moved back to SSB 20M to look for IOTA's or something interesting but nothing so off I went.. 
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »

I'm new to this.. I don't understand what happens during the Summer that shuts down Hawaii for example from 8am until about 3pm?    I think the MUF is in the 30 range.   What happens that shuts 20M for example during most of the day?

I'm a newbie too but this is my mental model:

1: On 20M, if both sides are in sunlight, then absorption on the path can be high. It is worse in summer, and worse during solar radiation storms.

2: On 20M in summer, it is often best if at least one end of the path is in darkness.

15M has been really really good this summer :-). Even after EU sundown it is good for many QSO's that way.

Tim.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »

Tnx Bill and Tim for the Q's and points.  Sorry I missed you Bryan but you must have worked ZM on 40 around the same time I did.  Between the thunderstorms I kept so busy with the SARTG that I didn't have time for the NAQP.  I'm glad the bands did wake up a little though after the solar storm though.

Randy AJ7G
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »

Doubled my QSO count from last year, and almost doubled in mults.  Cool 99.9% S&P.

Would have been nice if 10m showed signs of life, though...

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »

Doubled my QSO count from last year, and almost doubled in mults.  Cool 99.9% S&P.

Would have been nice if 10m showed signs of life, though...

I got a whopping 3 Q's on 10m.
Argentina & Brazil.

SARTG Results

251 Q's
3360 Q Points
95 DXCC's
32 Sections

426,720 points.

Not great, but better than nuttin !

I chose to skip NAQP Phone, I have more or less given up
on PHONE contests.
I'll work the BIGGIES, but phooey on the smaller ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: