Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 59..But I can hear your call.. and  (Read 1532 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:39 AM »

It all depends on what/where/who the DX is. Something very rare that is only on because it's a DXpedition, then 'in - out - no chat is really the rule. If, on the other hand, it's 'DX' as in long distance, then if you both want to chat, no problem. I've had QSOs for as long as an hour on 15 and 20 with the mid West and California and 20 minutes on 7 MHz SSB with New Zealand. That is fine if you both are fluent in the same language.......In many cases, operators who are not native English speakers have a problem in more than report, name, QTH when in QSO with an English speaker. And very much vice versa! Even on CW.....

But the ones who want to break in to 'work the DX because he's there' need to learn to wait. I think it's more prevalent on 'phone than on CW. However, once on 20 SSB, I was talking to an Italian who was asking me about certain frequency synthesiser integrated circuits, and a DL asked to join because he had some questions about the same devices, too.....

Although it does appear at times that technical discussions on the HF bands are frowned on by many operators - possibly because they cannot understand them - which can account for the DQRM that they sometimes attract.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: