Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimate Hybrid?  (Read 870 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »

I took a ride on the ferry to Alcatraz a few days ago and it has three 600 volt battery banks, a large solar array, a wind turbine and two back up generators. They charge it from grid at nite and used generator to augment solar and wind as batteries drain. The two main prop motors use a average of 550 amp each at 600 volts cruising. It moves around smartly. They have a real time large flat panel monitor showing you power use and flow. It was interesting.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »

Lets see, on the grid at night, generators for back up, nah not the 'ultimate' more like a gimmick.

Still its kind of cool bet its quiet when the gensets aint running.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »

Lets see, on the grid at night, generators for back up, nah not the 'ultimate' more like a gimmick.

Still its kind of cool bet its quiet when the gensets aint running.

Very quiet even when they are running quick thrust response. Yes some is hype but it can move without generators. San Francisco even requires all cab to be hybrids. 

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

and how did that work out.. I mean fares and all...

Look hybrids are all well and good but when they are 'forced' upon the general public instead of being by choice or evolution well not so much.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »

and how did that work out.. I mean fares and all...

Look hybrids are all well and good but when they are 'forced' upon the general public instead of being by choice or evolution well not so much.

As far as fares its San Francisco, nothing is cheap. On hybrid taxis, the focus clean air in city as there is a lot of traffic. Air smells good walking down town. Only diesel powered things are tour buses a a few city buses that leave city on routes. Everything else is hybrid or electric buses. I saw no diesel cars.  There were Toyota Priuses everywhere you looked as they are also allowed in car pool lanes. Saw several Teslar  cars and Volts too in use.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: