Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement antennas for Baofeng UV-3R???  (Read 25942 times)
KB2HSH

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:47:41 AM »

Hey all...I just bought a new Baofeng...and for $25 new, I couldn't say no to it.  The performance is pretty damn good for such a tiny little radio...and with the addition of an INI file, I even have 220 MHz on mine.  But, does anyone know where I might find a GOOD replacement antenna for this radio?  I've briefly looked, and haven't seen one yet.

John KB2HSH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:58:55 AM »

THAT is one of the problems that these Chinese radios have--the lack of compatible parts.  When the radio costs next to nothing because cheap, non-standard parts were used to build it, what do people expect?  As it has been said more than once, one way or another, you're gonna pay....   Sad
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:08:19 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »

Wow...you (personally) are one of the reasons that I really don't like coming to eHam.  Some of the nasty posts that you have made through the years really have me wondering WHY you're such a bitter person.  That being said....I DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING...I merely asked a question.

Alpha Hotel.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »

Nasty?  All I can say is that you're a little thin skinned.  Did I address you directly?  Did I even indirectly call you down as you did to me at the end of your last post?? No.  I simply replied to a post in a generalized way, and it's a truthful reply at that.

I did not intend to come across as nasty or make you upset, and apologize if the post did, but those people who think that the cheap radios are such a bargain just aren't thinking clearly.  One way or the other--unless those who buy those HTs are content to use what is supplied, those radios aren't any kind of bargain.  

Once more, who says that tomorrow the manufacturers will have gotten a shipment of different non standardized parts and incorporate them into the next generation of radio?  The parts that people have for their current 'bargain' radio might not work on the newer ones!

One way or another, bargains almost turn out to be not such a bargain after all, and that's one truth that isn't going to change.  73.

Added,  BTW, if you think I'm such a bitter person, you really don't read much of the banter going on on this site.  There are many others who were worse--and some that still are.  And don't worry about me answering one of your questions again.  I will not.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:10:17 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:01:08 AM »

There is no lack of compatible parts. Particularly with regard to antennas there are no incompatibilities as there are lots of antennas on the market fulfilling the requirements as frequency and impedance are concerned.
As the original antenna of my 5-R did not have good enough performance I bought a Nagoya NA771. Now you would probably require an antenna that includes 220 as well. This may be a bit more difficult.
Have fun and enjoy your radio.
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:10:08 AM »

771...OK...great.  I remember seeing those on the one table at the Keuka Lake hamfest last weekend.

Thank you!

John KB2HSH
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:19:19 AM »

THAT is one of the problems that these Chinese radios have--the lack of compatible parts.

Not true. I've found an abundance of compatible parts - antennas, batteries, microphones, cases, it's all out there and easy to find and as they get more and more popular it will only get better.

W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »

Have had a Baofeng UV-3R+ for about a year. Bought it mainly to satisfy my curiosity. It's been reliable and claims of it being difficult to program are unfounded. I wouldn't want one as my first or only handheld transceiver however. Better to spring for something a bit more straightforward like a Yaesu FT-60 which is an excellent value for the money.

Mail-ordered a Diamond SRJ77CA antenna from R & L Electronics for the UV-3R+. This improved performance quite a bit. Effective length is 40.5 cm which is a little over 15 1/2". It's a (presumably loaded) 1/4 wave antenna on 2 meters and a radial-less 1/2 wave on 70 cm. Unity gain on 2 meters and 2.15 dB gain at 70 cm. Maximum power rating 10 Watts. It has the 'reverse' SMA connector (SMAJ). No specifications for 222 MHz but the package claims it is also a receiving antenna for 120, 150, 300, 450, 800, and 900 MHz bands. Better than running a negative gain antenna like the original Baofeng "U-V Antenna".   

The Diamond SRJ77CA may or may not be the same thing as the Nagoya NA771. I just don't know. Only complaint with the Diamond SRJ77CA is I think it has to be inordinately tightened to the UV-3R+ to make good contact to 'come alive'. It shouldn't have to be so tight so I never leave it connected when I'm not using the little HT. The original antenna is a much better 'fit' in this regard.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »

Don't worry about the hams that hate Chinese radios, they are few and far between.  This you tube link will give you an idea of what's out there for your uv-3r+, for antennas.
 Good deal on the $25.00, that's $4.00 less than I paid at Amazon, where did you find that price if you care to share?  cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBV3X9rnQOI
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »

If you want improved performance on 2M, 220, and/or 440 - there is NO BETTER DEAL on an
HT antenna than the Smiley 270A. And they DO offer it in FEMALE SMA to fit radios with
"backwards" SMA connections.

The collapsible metal antenna (WITH a very beefy spring in its base to protect your HT's delicate
antenna connector) 5/8 wave to a ΒΌ wave performance. It out-performs the $50 Diamond SHR-320A,
and retails for just half the price of the Diamond - just $25.00

BUT KNOW WHAT YOU NEED - HRO and others stock the MALE SMA version ... but you may have to
go direct to Smiley for the FEMALA SMA version: http://www.htantennas.com

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »

Thanks, Clint!  After having to sell off ALL of my gear last year (pre-divorce), I was left without ANYTHING to work the FM satellites...with the exception of NO-44 and the ISS.  (With the CHIRP software, I already have the UP/DOWN programmed in for SO-50) 

I was also curious about the Baofeng.  I have been using a pair of Icom HTs: an OLD IC-2AT and a micro2AT.  The micro is better than the 2AT in that it has extended RX, but the 2AT has a better TX and RX.  For less than the price of the SS-64 tone encoder board, I was able to get the UV-3R.

Last night I really used it for the first time.  I checked into the RAWNY Net using the 444.000 MHz side of the WA2HKS repeater.  And from the mountains south of Buffalo where I live now, I was told that I had a solid signal into the machine.  Stock antenna.  High power.  With great RX audio.  Standing in my kitchen making dinner talking to old friends I hadn't seen in close to a decade...maybe more.

Thanks for all of the input guys. 
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

>> ... Thanks for all of the input guys.

Pun noted (grin).

This is a magnificent hobby. Stories received (pun - sorry) continue to amaze me regarding antenna
performance.

Remember - one of the very first reception reports from ARISSat-1 was from a gentleman using his
Yaesu handheld with its STOCK ANTENNA - and that was a 250mW signal from about 500 miles away ...

Yes - almost all stock ducks are rates at NEGATIVE 2 to NEGATIVE 3 db gain - or WORSE. I am amused
at how those who are excited with their new inexpensive Chinese HTs are claiming that their stock 
antennas are superior in performance than "the big three's" units.

No - just like the laws of physics did not leave Dealey Plaza in November of 1963, nor has anyone
re-written antenna theory to make a seven-inch HT antenna perform miracles ...

(Yeah - I worked the JFK assassination into a ham radio thread ... sorry.)

Clint K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 06:04:12 AM »

...Don't worry about the hams that hate Chinese radios, they are few and far between....

One last note here.  It's not the 'hate Chinese radio' point, it's the point concerning the probable disappointment of a ham getting a new radio--maybe his/her first, and have it fail as soon as or soon after it was received.  It's not just my opinion, it's fact--all too many Chinese made goods just aren't as well made as other goods available.  Could be the situation is getting better, but not that I've seen yet.

I've said this same thing before--and I'll repeat it here.  If you've gotten one of these rigs and haven't had any problem with it, good for you!  My experience was otherwise, and I'll keep on warning others about it.  You rarely get more than you pay for--usually you get a lot less--and that's one truth that keeps on being a truth no matter how much others say it isn't.  73.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »

One last note here.  

Not the last note ...

It's not just my opinion, it's fact--all too many Chinese made goods just aren't as well made as other goods available.

That's basically one huge sweeping generalization. Almost all my electronics comes from China these days - cell phones, flat screen TVs, electronic thermostats, power supplies ... you name it - it's almost all from China. Does that mean the goods aren't as well made as goods from elsewhere? Heck, most of the time the goods aren't even made anywhere else! But yet - the goods I buy made in China seem to mostly be high quality.

I've said this same thing before--and I'll repeat it here.  If you've gotten one of these rigs and haven't had any problem with it, good for you!  My experience was otherwise, and I'll keep on warning others about it.  

And people have bad experiences with the other major three too. The only way to objectively compare them is with failure data that we don't have available. I can look on a support forum for the most trusted brands people buy of any type product and find people that swear they would never buy another one. You mostly hear of people having bad experiences - not good ones.

You rarely get more than you pay for--usually you get a lot less--and that's one truth that keeps on being a truth no matter how much others say it isn't.

That type of analogy doesn't hold across international boundries and in a worldwide market. So I disagree it's a "truth" much anymore. Perhaps it was years ago, when you could choose from several, say, TVs made in America, where the currency was the same. Perhaps then, you could compare prices and then assume that a higher priced TV was better. Maybe.

You really can't do that these days. Just because a Baofeng UV-5R is $32 and a Yaseu comparable brand is triple or quadruple the price, doesn't mean that correlates to a higher or lower quality or functionality. It don't work that way now. Wages are different, environmental requirements are different, employee benefits are different - no, the price does not reflect quality or functionality like you seem to imply it does. If the Japanese have to pay higher wages then that one simple fact will make their products higher priced - not to mention other factors. It's way too simplistic of a tool to use for the purposes you want to use it for in a worldwide marketplace.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

'INP, Please see the Mobile ham fora, look for 'KENWOOD TS-281 MOD SCREWUP' and look at reply 17.  Thank you.  That's why I'm not going to reply to your rant--other then these few sentences.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: