Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello and New Practice Site  (Read 7523 times)
KV4QR

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »

Hello all, my name is matt (kk4syf) and I along with my brother just got my license about a month ago. I have been interested in radio since I was 7 or 8 but mainly listened. We really like the QRP and engineering side of things ( my brother teaches EE at the naval academy ) as well as narrow bandwidth things like morse code and digital... ( I like the boat anchors as well )

While looking for a good morse tutor, I see quite a few for windows, but I work mainly on MAC for desktop and Linux for servers so my options are much more limited. What I mainly wanted was something very slow Farnsworth(ish) that I could use that would be fresh content every that would be short enough that I could do it in one sitting and call that good for the day.

So I created a web app that just pulls down the RSS feed for a couple of AP news feeds and runs them thru ebook2cw ( awesome program ) and uploads them to Amazon S3 ( I use a lot of "cloud" stuff in my company ) and I tried to keep the interface as simple as possible...

I am interested to hear comments / questions ( it has a widget for that ) and want to say thanks for all the help people have given me over the years... here is a little payback..

the site is at www.myhamstuff.com (cheesy yes... but it was available)

matt lankford

__
Matt Lankford
www.myhamstuff.com
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:23:15 AM »

Hi Matt. Thanks for the fun app!  What is the speed of each character?  Does it change as overall WPM changes? 

I know you probably built this app for fun in you spare time and might not want or desire to develop this into a full featured web based CW training app like LCWO. (lcwo.net) But if you ever do then I will make the following feature requests!  Hi Hi 

It would be nice to have some random QSO's to choose from.  Something that you would hear on the ham bands. 

Similar to above, it would be nice to be able to choose random common words, phrases and abbreviations found in real QSO's.  This helps us become conversational.

For those of us that are learning to copy in our heads perhaps a fun little quiz afterwards to see how well we did. 

It would be cool if you could hover over the decoder chart with your mouse and hear the character. 

Joe
KB3KJS
KV4QR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I have it set to 17 WPM for the letters until the word speed gets above that... then it is the same as the word speed.

These are all great suggestions... some will be easier to do than others.

This gives me a few questions that I don't have the answer to:

Does anyone know of a good source for sample QSO's I can legally use? ( and how many do you think I should include? )

I can see in my mind how the random words would be coded... does anyone have a suggested word list? Should it be by word length or just completely random?

For the copy in our heads... I am kinda doing that already... I just look away from the computer while I type... and then I look down every so often... OR you could just not type at all.. and then hit the "Check your work" button at the end and it will show you the text ... ( which is not perfect... I leave it open for days at a time ... and the feed has updated but the mp3 in my browser has not )

Not sure how I would do the hover over chart thing yet... but I will think on that a bit...

I am only on 1 WPM myself... and am only getting a half hour to an hour in a day this week... ( I am studying for Extra this sunday )

Matt

__
Matt Lankford
www.myhamstuff.com
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:24 AM »

Does anyone know of a good source for sample QSO's I can legally use? ( and how many do you think I should include? )

Try ...

A Beginner's Guide to Making CW Contacts
by Jack Wagoner WB8FSV

LINK: http://www.netwalk.com/~fsv/CWguide.htm

Keep at it and Good Luck!

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »

Matt. You can simply make up fake QSO's without worrying about permission.  See example below.  Feel free to use it.  Use the link that WA2ONH posted.  Good stuff !  There are also plenty of common word lists.  Just Google them.  Keep them to 2, 3 and 4 letters to start with.  Just pick words that we actually would use in a QSO.   

A typical QSO.....

KK4SYF DE KB3KJS = R R FB MATT GA GA ES TNX FER THE CALL = UR RST RST IS 589 589 WID SOME QSB BUT I CAN CPY U FINE = NAME IS JOE JOE ES MY QTH QTH IS MD MD = MY QTH IS ABT 50 50 MILES NW OF WASHINGTON DC DC = THE WX WX HR IS SUNNY AND HOT WID TEMP AT 90 90 DEG = WE HVE NOT HAD MUCH HOT WX HR THIS SUMMER = RIG HR IS A K3 K3 RUNNING 1TT WATTS ES ANT ANT IS A DIPOLE UP 45 FT = AGE AGE IS 50 50 ES BEEN A HAM FER 37 YRS MOSTLY ALL CW = I LIKE TO HOME BREW GEAR AND HVE LOTS OF OLD TUBE GEAR HR IN MY SHACK = OK BK TO U MATT KK4SYF DE KB3KJS K

The goal is to become conversational so you can get on the air.  Practicing something like this will probably help beginners get on the air much quicker since it is in the context of a real cw qso.  Once you become familiar with how the above qso sounds and flows you will be prepared to copy just about any basic qso on the air.  They are all pretty much the same.  You will find you will learn the code much faster once you get on the air and use it.  So that should be your goal! 

Keep up the good work!

Joe

KV4QR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »

Bugfix...

I added a feature to show you the text that was in the RSS feed... BUT it was asking to "authenticate" and not showing it... I fixed that so that now when you hit the check your work button... it shows the feed instead of the image...

sorry about that...

matt

__
Matt Lankford
www.myhamstuff.com
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 04:19:08 AM »

Matt, those news feeds aren't still CW are they? You mentioned brother in the military. Back in the 50s while at sea we copied press. It all came CW. About 32 wpm. That was our only newpaper. No Xerox machines. We typed with about 8 carbons. Since the original went to the Capt and one copy to the ward room, one copy to the chief's quarters and the rest to the mess deck you had to be good or everyone on the ship would know you couldn't copy CW very well. 3 hours of press every morning put out a pretty good newspaper.
KV4QR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 06:45:29 AM »

No, they are text when I get them, and I strip out everything except letters ( american ) and numbers and periods...

Then I take a program ( ebook2cw ) and convert the text to CW at different speeds... ( on my laptop every day via CRON )

I like hearing the stories...

My Grandad was on Iwo Jima and I got almost no stories from him.

My networking teacher (over 20 years ago) was a man named Arpad Voss and he started in communications in the German army with a spool of wire on his back crawling to avoid snipers and using "one wire" phone signaling. He kept up with communications and he taught morse all the way to network operating systems. I think he worked for NASA for quite a while so he had a lot of stories from the other side but almost none about the war.

__
Matt Lankford
www.myhamstuff.com
AC4BT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:12:44 AM »

Matt,

I really like your web site www.myhamstuff.com. I teach a cw class and I will recommend that the class check out your excellent site.

Would it be possible for you to add 35wpm and 40wpm to the drop-down speed choices? Then I think this would be attractive for cw students who are trying to improve their speed beyond 30wpm.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Jerry AC4BT
W4FO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »

Matt. You can simply make up fake QSO's without worrying about permission.  See example below.  Feel free to use it.  Use the link that WA2ONH posted.  Good stuff !  There are also plenty of common word lists.  Just Google them.  Keep them to 2, 3 and 4 letters to start with.  Just pick words that we actually would use in a QSO.   

A typical QSO.....

KK4SYF DE KB3KJS = R R FB MATT GA GA ES TNX FER THE CALL = UR RST RST IS 589 589 WID SOME QSB BUT I CAN CPY U FINE = NAME IS JOE JOE ES MY QTH QTH IS MD MD = MY QTH IS ABT 50 50 MILES NW OF WASHINGTON DC DC = THE WX WX HR IS SUNNY AND HOT WID TEMP AT 90 90 DEG = WE HVE NOT HAD MUCH HOT WX HR THIS SUMMER = RIG HR IS A K3 K3 RUNNING 1TT WATTS ES ANT ANT IS A DIPOLE UP 45 FT = AGE AGE IS 50 50 ES BEEN A HAM FER 37 YRS MOSTLY ALL CW = I LIKE TO HOME BREW GEAR AND HVE LOTS OF OLD TUBE GEAR HR IN MY SHACK = OK BK TO U MATT KK4SYF DE KB3KJS K

The goal is to become conversational so you can get on the air.  Practicing something like this will probably help beginners get on the air much quicker since it is in the context of a real cw qso.  Once you become familiar with how the above qso sounds and flows you will be prepared to copy just about any basic qso on the air.  They are all pretty much the same.  You will find you will learn the code much faster once you get on the air and use it.  So that should be your goal! 

Keep up the good work!

Joe

Great advice, this is what my Elmer taught me to do as a novice 32 years ago.
I was on the air in a couple of months at 10/12 wpm.
PAT W4FO
KV4QR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »

Matt,

Would it be possible for you to add 35wpm and 40wpm to the drop-down speed choices? Then I think this would be attractive for cw students who are trying to improve their speed beyond 30wpm.

OK... I added this feature... and a great thing you asked as well... the update function was broken because of an updated IP address that was not in the security group where my database is running...

SO

thanks to you, the site is now working properly again....

BTW... the faster ones are at the bottom for now... I will have to work on the sorting in a bit...

matt

__
Matt Lankford
www.myhamstuff.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: