Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad experience  (Read 5796 times)
KA8FHW

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »

I bought a VHF amp from a S.W Michigan ham who goes by "DEVO" (KA8TBW). A month later, I finally opened it up
and found the input circuit was burnt. Caused by a faulty antenna relay.

He would not back up the sale or refund my 175.00. I got a song and dance. Do not trade or do business with this character.
His real name is David Davidson. Thre amp could not have functioned as claimed.
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »

Well, no disrespect intended but, had you notified me a month later about something I sold you that was bad? I wouldn't refund it either. Why would you wait a MONTH to examine something you paid almost $200.00 for? Yes, if he shipped something that wasn't right, by all means request a refund... But a month?..... Odd.....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:49:21 AM »

Have to agree with the last.  You should have opened it up and looked at it when you got it.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:54:12 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »

In all fairness, if I sell something to someone, I expect them to let me know the condition of the box if damaged during shipping, open it up, check the contents and within 24-48 hours tell me if there is an issue.  After that, it is your item for keeps.  I don't like when some folks use something damage it and a week or more later think the seller owes them something.....verify it upon receipt.  Always the best policy.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »

Most electronics in all fairness are AS IS since they are prone to be damaged but if something is fried and obvious, the guy should work with you.  But, waiting that long, I might be inclined to be leery too.  Hope it works out.  I had a bad experience with N5IZ in OK damaging a radio I had that was less then a year old, and swears I sold him a bad radio, etc. etc.  Of course, none of this was mentioned the first week he was using it.  I usually go 24-48 hours and after that, its yours.  Period.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »

Electronics isn't "AS IS" unless the seller specifies that condition. If its advertised as "in good working order" then it should work when you get it. If it has significant value then you should request that the seller purchase insurance so that he can recover the cost for you if it is damaged in shipping. My experience with the UPS store has been that they want to package it for you if you purchase damage insurance.

If you don't ask for and the seller doesn't purchase insurance then it is technically probably his responsibility if it is damaged - but trying to collect is often problematic.

My guess is that the insurance may not be honored if you wait 30 days to report the damage.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »

Mine was insured, and I asked the Buyer, 2 weeks after the fact, repeatedly, did the box have any indication of a hard drop (i.e. mashed corner, etc.), no responses.  So, at that point, it is hard to know if the Buyer damaged it, shipper did, or (rare) did the unit have some sort of anomaly that ONLY surfaced when the Buyer hooked it up, since in previous use, was 100% and verified.  Makes it hard to know when the Buyer tells the Seller a week after it works great, looks great, then 2 weeks later, something else......I doubt many car dealers would honor any kinda of non-implied warranty weeks after the sale...
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »

Electronics isn't "AS IS" unless the seller specifies that condition. If its advertised as "in good working order" then it should work when you get it. If it has significant value then you should request that the seller purchase insurance so that he can recover the cost for you if it is damaged in shipping. My experience with the UPS store has been that they want to package it for you if you purchase damage insurance.

If you don't ask for and the seller doesn't purchase insurance then it is technically probably his responsibility if it is damaged - but trying to collect is often problematic.

My guess is that the insurance may not be honored if you wait 30 days to report the damage.

Or the Buyer diliberately avoids answering questions about the shipping container, etc. which raises a red flag...

When I receive something, I tell the Seller the condition of the box upon arrival, and that same day, the item works okay or it doesn't.  Usually, if there is some issue, it is usually a dislodged connector that when re-seated, item works fine.  With this individual, there are just too many red flags for me....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: