Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's happened to HONESTY  (Read 93269 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »

That doesn't always work, though.  Take the one glaring example of a bad seller--RadioMart.  Their feedback rating wasn't too bad, yet they scammed people day in and day out.  The only way some of us found out about his abysmal business ethics was from looking on the internet--searching 'RadioMart'--and seeing that there was a whole slew of complainants who were scammed by him.

Most of the time the feedback rating does tell the story--but sometimes it fails miserably.
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »

Honesty is alive and well. I hear continually all these complaints about eBay and the sellers, well, I can't
speak for anyone but myself, but I can provide my own point of view.

As a medium volume eBay seller I can tell you that I personally go out of my way to make sure
my customers are happy and feel that what they purchased an item exactly as described.

I've dealt with the following:

1.  Buyers not having a clue how to operate the device they purchased.
2.  Buyers unintentionally damaging the device they purchased and then claiming it "does not work"
3.  Buyers swapping bad circuit cards to repair their own bad boards.
4.  Buyers removing optional accessories and claiming the device does not work (filters, electronic keyers etc...)
5.  Sneaky problems - I have had a few legitimate complaints about somewhat esoteric features not working
-- signals out of accessory connectors not working - blown linear keying relays etc... A reseller simply can't test everything. 
6.  Shipping damage. Ship a perfectly working rig, it arrives, has issues. I typically end up eating shipping both ways, no one
walks away unhappy. Have also dealt with with the reverse, bought a radio from a knowledgeable ham, supposedly dead, get it, hook it up
and the dang thing works perfectly -- kept it,  beat the crap out of it, still working great, go figure. Afraid to sell it... 

It goes both ways. I understand all the issues buyers have had on eBay and the specific amateur sites like eHam or QTH.
Go buy gear at a hamfest, lets see what kind of guarantee you get. As a honorable seller, I take all the risk and responsibility.
People complain about eBay prices, well, yes you might pay more. If you don't like the cost, then don't bid.
You have available uncommon devices not available elsewhere and eBay is geared towards the buyer, if you have a problem,
99.5% of the time eBay will side with the buyer. Normally it does not even get that far, the sellers that are
left resolve any issues with the buyers on their own.

Its simple, treat people how you would like to be treated..

This is simply my own thoughts and philosophy, I am not passing judgement on anyone.

W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »

Agree with the above post.  Wanted to add also. 

I had a mint/new TS-590 that I sold to N5IZ.   Upon receipt, told me it looked and played great.  Like 2 weeks into him playing with it, it now doesn't work "right", whatever that means.  Starts the dribble about how I ripped him off, I knew it wasn't a good radio, blah blah blah.  SInce I didn't document enough the fact it did work properly when it was boxed and shipped, even though he obviously lied, I sent him $200 to have Kenwood check it out (which they told me they "aligned" it, no remove/replace was done per the tech I spoke to).  So I am out of $200 bucks to a liar or a nit wit that didn't read the manual and either got the radio out of alignment or damaged it in some way.  I should have taken photos of meter readings, etc.  Man, who always thinks to do that and has it come to this?

I have seen this same guy, over and over on EHam, QTH, QRZ looking for a 590, then a week later, selling it. Then repeating the process.  I have to wonder if he is pulling this scam on other Sellers?  Don't know, don't care, I just know I was ripped off and lied to and his call is on my list not to buy or sell to again.

It is so sad that when you sell something whether it be new, used, mint, fair, whatever, you have to document everything, every single feature, capability to the nth degree in order to be able to prove yourself in the event something like this happens.  I had documentation but not enough.  I could have easily told him to shove it but I am a persone of honesty, integrity and character.  I will do what I think is right and go from there.  I doubt this guy has any conscience but that is between him and God, not me.  I sleep well at night. 

Honesty?  Look at our world today, at our governmental leaders, lying to the public, blame game, finger pointing and instead of just saying, "Hey, I will man up and fix this issue, no matter who is at fault".  Not anymore today....sad indeed.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »

Honesty is alive and well....

...It goes both ways. I understand all the issues buyers have had on eBay and the specific amateur sites like eHam or QTH.
Go buy gear at a hamfest, lets see what kind of guarantee you get. As a honorable seller, I take all the risk and responsibility.
People complain about eBay prices, well, yes you might pay more. If you don't like the cost, then don't bid.
You have available uncommon devices not available elsewhere and eBay is geared towards the buyer, if you have a problem,
99.5% of the time eBay will side with the buyer. Normally it does not even get that far, the sellers that are
left resolve any issues with the buyers on their own.

Its simple, treat people how you would like to be treated.

This is simply my own thoughts and philosophy, I am not passing judgement on anyone.

If everyone would do that, (the underlined sentence) there would be no problem.  Even if it were granted that the majority of sellers are honest and would settle the majority of issues arising, the ones who do not are the ones who give all sellers a bad name--and that is why E-bay sides with the buyers just about every time.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: