Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's happened to HONESTY  (Read 93166 times)
W4CDI

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »

What’s happing in Ham Radio these days, Where has honesty amount hams gone. I’ve been in this hobby for 50yrs. and it appears trust among us is getting worst. My latest dealing is with W9YQ Tom Manthel, Odenville, Al. Ph 214 728 7248. Bought an Amp from him. got home turned it on and it blew fuse. Checked out and found 1 shorted filter cap, 2 leaking. called Tom told him about the problem. advised him it would take about $70 to correct. would u be willing to pick up $30 on repairs. He agreed. Called 3 times e-mail 4 times no response. It’s not the $30, It’s the dishonesty that burns me. W4CDI Doug :twisted: Sad
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »

I'm not sticking up for the guy, but is it possible he's on vacation or otherwise indisposed?
W4CDI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

NOP, Talked to him on the ph twice, him telling me that he was going to send funds
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »

It isn't only honesty among hams--it's honesty in general.  Seems that the feeling of 'get the most you can get and to heck with the other guy' is now the rule rather than the exception.  Sad, but remember--there are exceptions!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:08 AM »

Dishonesty isn't anything new.  The Bravo Sierra at fests in the 80's was as deep as it is online today.  Especially if you weren't licensed.  I'd swear that they took extra pleasure in screwing SWL'ers or hobbyists.

N9LCD

Angry
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »

Fortunately Honesty still exists, unfortunately certain individuals have taken a queue from politicians and discovered the more lucrative return from the word Greed.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »

speaking of the 80s, "trust... but verify" is as good advice at hamfests as it was monitoring Soviet missle installations.  I haven't been stung much, or for a lot of dough, but I only go after stuff that I know I can fix if I got lied to.
KA2CDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »

Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I purchased a Drake MN-2700 from a ham via QTH classifieds. I paid top dollar for it because it was in mint condition. Needless to say the tuner arrived damaged from improper packaging when shipped. It was no big deal, the bezel around the meter was cracked in pieces and the meter itself was broken off the mount. I repaired the mount myself but did take a picture beforehand and sent it to the seller explaining the damage. He was very prompt in answering me and said that he would make good on the bezel. I told him to just send me $20 back and that should be enough to find one on line. He agreed again to take care of it. Well long story short that was the last time I ever heard from him again. I know he is still around because I occasionally see him selling Drake gear on ebay (with great feedback) so go figure.

The bright spot out of all this was that after I placed an ad on QTH for a replacement bezel I found one sent to me free of charge sitting in my mailbox from a ham named Lee K4LJP. The lesson here is that with every dishonest ham there is a very honest ham out there ready to help you!
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »

I can give you an example of the opposite.  I parted with a practically new radio to an older op, it worked 100%, and 100% of the time.  He pesters me to ship it ship it ship it, ahead of any fund mind you, I ask him to meet me on the air to give him a demo to hear it...never shows up, so being a generous person, I go ahead and box it up, after making numerous contacts with it (logged) so he would have it in time for the weekend as he pestered me for.

He gets the unit like the next day and I get the funds like 2-3 days after that.  After about a week, he tells me it isn't for him he is going to sell it.  That is his right, odd but okay.  They he comes back after that and tells me it doesn't work right.  Like how?  He says his "buddies" tell him they can barely hear him, the audio is low (this is not a plug and play radio - there are multiple settings you have to do to get it to play - it was set up for my headset and he was attempting the stock hand mic - totally different audio levels).  A couple more days go by, and now he tells me I should help on the "repair".  What repair?  He went and shot it off without talking to me to some small repair shop.  Albeit, the guy may be okay (I have no experience with him) but this is current model and likely he hasn't touched one).  Back and forth it goes, his emails (which he likes to throw in a bible verse at the end) are more and more accusatory, "if I had known", "guess I am screwed", "you knew the radio didn't work", etc.

I can confirm just looking at all the log entries the signal reports were appropriate and solicitied audio reports were excellent.  Is it possible UPS hard dropped it and knocked something ajar internally?  Could he have passed rf into the radio thru a hasty hook up?  Who knows.

I would have recommended sending it back to the OEM and let them check it out.  The tech he used has no cluse as it worked on the bench and then acted up the next time, but a totally different description from what this guys was to me.  What gives?  The two decsriptions are totally contrary.

Anyway, reluctantly I agreed to pay one hours labor on the OEM review/repair (doubt it needs repair unless he damaged it).  He even went so far as expecting I should take it back, refund his money, etc.  No way.  Not on a totally functional radio that he likelly messed up or shipping did.  Offering to pay for 1 hours labor on something is more then enough.

All this an spewing bible verses, yet slandering, threatening,  lying about the radio, etc.  I think from now on, I may just use Ebay for high dollar items and stick to less tan $100 dollar items on these swapboards.  
This guy really offends me talking one way and being like the majority of the world....sad but true.

Honesty, integrity, character...sure seems a thing of past days.....from what I read between the line with this character, it is likely in some manner, he damaged the radio.  That is not my responisbility.  If you get something from me, and it doesn't work out of the box, I would talk about working on some resolution, but he went on "using" it for like a week or more, initially telling me he didn't like the unit and was going to sell it, then suddenly, it has this "issue" .  So it is off to the OEM.  Hoepfully, he didn't fry the thing.  about 95% of it is functionaly, on the SSB transmission part, which is what he was attemtping to use....

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:06:06 AM by NW9R » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »

I'm not sticking up for the guy, but is it possible he's on vacation or otherwise indisposed?

Sorry to hear that.  There are 'clunkers' in all hobbies and I've dealt with or seen my share.  While I am a firm believer in Karma, there have been times I'd like to give Karma a hand in giving someone what they have coming to them!
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »

The character I had the unfortunately opportunity to "deal" with accused me of selling him a defective item, an item that is less than 1 year old and was in use up to and including the day I packed it up for him.   I reluctantly agreed, over a week or more after the transaction, to pay for 1 hours labor checking the unit out at the OEM, and to date, he never sent it.  I am smelling a likely incorrect hook up, etc. which I suspected, but at least my conscience is clear/clean.  I won't be answering this character's wants or "for sales" in the future for sure.   Sad but true, but these types of individuals are out there....what a rip off.
NV9L

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »

Uh-oh. I just listed my HF radio on here and on QTH.com. Sounds like I'm asking for trouble. Angry

Valerie ~ NV9L
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »

You have to do a lot of "leg work" or homework to check on these characters....many times, you are okay...but get burned just once....your whole perception will change...

GL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 05:19:03 AM »

You have to do a lot of "leg work" or homework to check on these characters....many times, you are okay...but get burned just once....your whole perception will change...

True enough, but if they 'make a profession' in being shady in their dealings, it will be easier and easier to find out about them.  Look at just two who have made the shady dealings star roundup here on this site--RadioMart and Donald Pinson!  And this particular subject forum is full of other examples.
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »

So true.  I had a less than 1 year old 590 I had sold N5IZ, offered to give him an on the air demo, and to make a long story short, he got it, said it looked and worked great, about 5 days later informs me "it just isn't for him, he is going to sell it"...okay, whatever.  Shortly after, he tells me he decided to keep it.  Another week later, it suddenly has some issue.  Hmmm. Worked 100% here, every time, and now an "issue"?  He fires it off to some repair shop I don't use, they can't figure anything out (too new of a radio model likely), so supposedly, he sends it to Kenwood. 

I told him had he indicated an issue within the first 24-48 hours I might have worked with him, but after jacking with it for 2 weeks plus, no way.  Electronics, new or old is too susceptible to being damaged by an inexperienced user.  I sent him 1 hours cost in labor for Kenwood and told him I am done with it.  I don't warranty any gear but I leaned forward on it.   Likely he damaged it based upon some emails I waded thru, but holding on to something now a month and thinking you will get some refund, forget it.  I have been burned down that road with individuals damaging gear, removing parts, you name it. 

I won't be selling any radios on the swap boards any longer.  Would rather chance craigslist or ebay....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: