Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QScope.org : Free online statistic application  (Read 55548 times)
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:07 AM »

Dear fellow contesters,

I am currently working on a new statistics application for contesters.
This application is on http://www.qscope.org/ and registration is of course free.
Usage is simple :
- Upload a log
- Create a contest container
- Import it (process it) to the said contest container in the database
- Run statistics and draw charts than you can display on screen or write to a PDF.

While 99% of my development goals are achieved, please keep it mind the server is newly installed and some tweaking may be necessary in the next days.
If you don't receive the registration confirmation e-mail, please contact me in direct as your provider is perhaps considering this emails as spam. As I said, the server is new and some providers are more touchy than others regarding spam.

Right now I also need help from SO2R ops who'd like to send me some sample logs so I can write SO2R specific stats.

73 es GL,
Yan - XV4Y.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y
http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/
http://varc.radioclub.asia/
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:49:28 AM »

Tnx Yan!  I'll try it out after this upcoming contest this weekend.

73 Randy AJ7G
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 03:16:47 AM »

Hi Randy,

I hope you will find it useful.
I am busy this week-end with the kids at home but I will try to add a few "text stats" that some OM were having on CBS and want to have on QScope.
I have been asked for some kind of map showing which operator was on a given band-mode at a given time but need time to work on it.
Instead, I can add a quick "QSO Rate" per band stat that will give some useful info.

Don't mind in telling me your opinion.
I may be busy but read all the comments and try to take them in account...

Yan - XV4Y.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »

Yan, I tried to use the program but when it got to processing the log, the next page came back with an "error 500".  I didn't see where it stated what type of file to upload but I assumed it was an adif file and that's what I uploaded.  Any ideas.

Tnx Randy AJ7G
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

Yan, I tried to use the program but when it got to processing the log, the next page came back with an "error 500".  I didn't see where it stated what type of file to upload but I assumed it was an adif file and that's what I uploaded.  Any ideas.

Tnx Randy AJ7G

Same problem here.
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »

Hi Randy, Bryan,

Thanks for testing Qscope.
Once the kids are out to the school I will have a look at it.
With most of the beta-testers have uploaded their logs already and we're focusing on the stats and charts, perhaps doing some changes in the last day I made a "regression" in the parsing code and something is preventing it to work.
I try to test everything each time I commit a change to the server but sometime I'm an hurry and I do make assumptions that those things work...

There is at least three features I'd like to add to the application before making it a stable version 1.00 :
- Max QSO Rate per band/mode/op chart (should be in version 0.9.5 in a few hours)
- Activity map (what op was on that band-mode at that time)
- Operator position and SO2R handling in the database (I only have N1MM logs so far for this feature)

Yan - XV4Y.
---
http://xv4y.radioclub.asia/
http://www.qscope.org/
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

Well, there is something strange because I am using DXKeeper and N1MM myself, both at last version, and I can upload my own logs.
However there is "big" failure from the very start when trying your logs...
I'm working on it.

Yan - XV4Y.
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 06:18:05 PM »

Ok, got it now. I tested with your 3 logs.
Bryan, your test logs contain 91 and 1791 Qs.
Randy, your log has 282 Qs.
Please tell me if it is wrong.

For ADIF2 logs I was making the assumption that one record was contained in 1 line, but your files contain more data(addresses, etc) than mines and have log record over 2 or 3 lines.
I have changed my parsing library so it works now.

You can try again to import them into the database and do statistics.

Thank you very much for your help in improving QScope!

Yan - XV4Y.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:43 AM »

Ok, got it now. I tested with your 3 logs.
Bryan, your test logs contain 91 and 1791 Qs.
Randy, your log has 282 Qs.
Please tell me if it is wrong.

For ADIF2 logs I was making the assumption that one record was contained in 1 line, but your files contain more data(addresses, etc) than mines and have log record over 2 or 3 lines.
I have changed my parsing library so it works now.

You can try again to import them into the database and do statistics.

Thank you very much for your help in improving QScope!

Yan - XV4Y.

Thank you Yan.. I was playing around with my exported DXKeeper log.   It's the Standard ADIF from that software.   I will look again this coming week.  73
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »

Bryan,

I am receiving errors from you using the app.
That's because you have not imported the logfile into the database yet. You created the "contest container" but it is empty...

Yes I use DXKeeper too, but with less fields... so lines were shorter.

Yan.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »

Yan, great program!  This was a tool I wanted for a lot of my previous contest to help me analyze them.  It probably would have been a more complete analysis if I would have used contest logging data instead of raw data  I have a question though.

1. Once you uploaded a contest adif, can you overwrite it?  Some of the bigger contest I would like to analyze during the contest.

Thanks Randy
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 05:03:52 AM »

Randy,

Thanks for your comments.
I am not sure I understand your question well, but :
- In step 1 on QScope you have to create a "contest/event container". These containers can handle any log and you can create as many of them as you want. You can delete them if you want, or keep them to keep the stats you have computed.
- In a "contest container" you can upload as many log files as you want. Of course if you want the statistic to be meaningful, don't mix logs that are from different time period or different places, etc.
- You can run any statistic or chart on the container you've created. The results are cached and will be kept as long as you don't delete the container. If one day I need to reclaim place on the database server, I may have to delete logs imported from long ago but I will keep the computed results online. You can save these statiscts/charts as PDF or share the links to the charts if you need.

So if I understand you well you created a container and imported a log that was containing only "partial" information. You can create a new container (delete the old one if you want) and import the "fully detailed" log into it.

Yan - XV4Y.
---
http://www.qscope.org/
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:12 AM »

- In a "contest container" you can upload as many log files as you want. Of course if you want the statistic to be meaningful, don't mix logs that are from different time period or different places, etc.

Yan, this pretty much answered my question.  I usually contest just to have a great time and so far I've more than met my expectations.  Every once in a while I like to see how I'm doing and this will pretty much sum it all up.  With the contest season starting to get into full swing, my competitive spirit gets going so this will definitely be an added help.  Who knows, I might even do better than 800th place hi hi.  As long as it's fun who cares!

Thanks Randy AJ7G
XV4TUJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:15 AM »

Dear fellow contesters,

As some of you have noticed, project COSTA is now QScope.org and we have reached a significant milestone with version 1.00.
Thanks to many beta testers who offered their assistance, several new statistics, charts and features have been added, most bugs are gone (but I'm sure that unfortunately some are still alive deeply hidden in the code lines) and many peoples have expressed their interest for the project.

I would like to express my special thanks to Jim VE7FO, Paul EI5DI, Luc PY8ZAT, Fabian DJ1YFK, Pedro LU7HZ, Roger G3SXW who helped me finding innovative statistics and gave interesting feedbacks.

I know some of you have expressed the need of having some kind of planning tool (including against propagation prediction or past contests) but that was out of the scope of my current project. That is however something I will study if time allows for future developments.
The good think of a web application (have I said Cloud Computing ?) is that updates can be done on the fly and are available for all users without the need for downloading or reinstalling.

Currently, QScope offers informations like* :
- Number of QSOs, Operating Time
- Unique callsigns worked, unique DXCCs entities, CQ and ITU Zones
- Average and Maximum QSO Rates over periods of 10, 30 and 60 minutes
- Activity Map showing which band, mode, operating position was more productive during a contest
- Charts with number of QSOs per unique callsign, band, mode or operator
- Charts with number of Points per unique callsign, band, mode or operator
- Charts with number of QSOs per CQ and ITU Zones
- Charts showing hour by hour, the Number of QSOs and Points, Number of new CQ and new ITU Zones worked, Number of new DXCC entities and new Prefixes worked
- Charts with Operating Time per band, mode or operator with parameter for pause duration
- Charts showing minute by minute how much was your QSO Rate for your whole log, per operator or per band, with parameter for the sample duration from 5 minutes to 60 minutes
- Charts with Maximum QSO Rates per band, mode or operator with parameter for the sample duration from 5 minutes to 60 minutes
* Note that the informations you can display depend on the data available in your logfile. ADIF logs containing more details than Cabrillo.

Several individuals and clubs have also asked if it was possible to buy and download the software and run them on their own computer. The structure of the application does not allow this today. However, some suggested I run a private server for their closed users group and that is possible. The cost for such service can start at 250USD per year for a virtual private server guaranteeing enough processor and memory resource for a little more than 100 users.
That said, my own opinion is that the "free" server will be enough for most of our needs but if you want to have a guaranteed availability for your club members, a private server may be the answer.

73 es GL,
Yan - XV4Y.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:05 AM »

Congrats and way to go Yan!!! 
Just read an email write up sent by ARRL Contest Update for September 11, 2013 highlighting this program.  Nice and useful data for improving your contest skills.

73 Randy AJ7G
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: