Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long before new tech license show up on the FCC page?  (Read 13126 times)
W7HBP

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »

OK, I have been tutoring my 11 yr old grandson and he passed his tech tech test...how long did it take for you others to see it in the ULS database on the FCC webpage. He took his test 15 days ago.

He test in 2 weeks for his general. He does have his CSCE if there is an issue (lost in mail etc) but he wants to get on the air in the worst way. And of course, grandpa (me) said he would order his a cap with his call and QSL cards.

I promised him a new 2 meter mobile unit, base antenna and power supply after getting his tech license. So I ordered that already. Now I told him I'd get him a new HF rig if he got his general, looks like in 2 weeks, I will owe him a HF rig. He is consistently scoring in the 90+% range on practice test.

Is it normal to be longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks.
Rick W7HBP 
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »

It all depends on the VE group and the VEC. Two weeks (IMO) is a little long, but not unheard-of.

- Some VE groups finish all the paperwork immediately; others may take a day or two.
- The VEs then submit the paperwork to their VEC. This can be instantaneous (if the VEC allows electronic submission), or it can take up to 3 or 4 days for USPS.
- Then the VEC has their processing steps. This depends on their backlog.

If you don't see the license in a day or two, a phone call to the VE team might be appropriate.

W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »

OK, issue with SSN and no contact email adress. I called the ARRL, spoke to a gent and got it handled. After he submitted it electronically to the FCC, my grandson has his call in about 10 minutes.
KE6CT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »

OK, I have been tutoring my 11 yr old grandson and he passed his tech tech test...how long did it take for you others to see it in the ULS database on the FCC webpage. He took his test 15 days ago.

He test in 2 weeks for his general. He does have his CSCE if there is an issue (lost in mail etc) but he wants to get on the air in the worst way. And of course, grandpa (me) said he would order his a cap with his call and QSL cards.

I promised him a new 2 meter mobile unit, base antenna and power supply after getting his tech license. So I ordered that already. Now I told him I'd get him a new HF rig if he got his general, looks like in 2 weeks, I will owe him a HF rig. He is consistently scoring in the 90+% range on practice test.

Is it normal to be longer than 2 weeks?

I took my exams at Sunnyvale VEC in California.  Everything was submitted online so it was fast.  I had my call sign before I left the test facility but it was a few days before I see it in the FCC ULS database.

VE's will take longer but I am surprised that it has taken that long.
Thanks.
Rick W7HBP 
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

He has it now, his call is KG7ESK. He was so happy. He absolutely loves this hobby. He has been spending all summer with me, he is ready for general now, but wont test til Aug 10th. I will let you know how he did.  Grin
W5TTW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

He has been spending all summer with me
It doesn't get any better than that.   Smiley
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »

It doesn't get any better than that.   Smiley

He said this is the best summer he has ever had. He takes his General test this Saturday. He will pass it with ease. I have been working with him daily. He is having a blast. Keep an eye on his call, its about to change from tech to general. I told him, he can do the extra at his choosing. In other words, I wont push him as much.  Grin

I will be getting hi\m a new HF rig, it was a promise I made. I got him a new 2 meter plus antenna and an HT for passing tech. I dont know who is having more fun, him or I.  Wink
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

Follow up, grandson (KG7ESK) took his general test, missed one. He passed with ease. So he was a "tech" for officially just 13 days. He took it on a Saturday, his license was upgraded on the following Tuesday, 3 days later, 2 working days. Not bad for govt work.  Grin Grin
N3AEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:22:50 AM »

I took my tech exam on a Saturday and my license showed up online by 9:45am on Monday.  I passed my general exam last night, so I've already started checking the ULS database for it to update.  Grin

Leo - KC3AZL
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »

Now I told him I'd get him a new HF rig if he got his general, looks like in 2 weeks, I will owe him a HF rig. He is consistently scoring in the 90+% range on practice test.

Could you please adopt me?? 

Sounds like a smart one and a great mentor.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: