Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1950s KLEE TV Urban Legend Debunked  (Read 5720 times)
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

Soooooooo  signals "above 30 MHZ" just keep on going?Huh?  I guess all the 6 meter DX I have worked over the years was groundwave, then.  Before VK and ZL got off the old  TV channel 1 and 2 there were TV DXers HERE who picked them up.  (Yes, Channel 1 WAS used in Europe and elsewhere) .  I've heard broadcast FM band openings into the deep south on my car radio.  I guess it's all a hoax. 
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »

Yes, this one was a hoax, but in the late 1950's, during the biggest sunspot peak ever recorded, Channel 2 DX was not uncommon at all. I remember watching a Florida station from California almost daily in the afternoon. Channels 2, 3, and 4 were often filled with distant stations. We had stations that were 'deep fringe' on 2 and 4 and a stronger one on 3, but sometimes the skip would overwhelm the more local station.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »

Soooooooo  signals "above 30 MHZ" just keep on going?Huh?  I guess all the 6 meter DX I have worked over the years was groundwave, then.  Before VK and ZL got off the old  TV channel 1 and 2 there were TV DXers HERE who picked them up.  (Yes, Channel 1 WAS used in Europe and elsewhere) .  I've heard broadcast FM band openings into the deep south on my car radio.  I guess it's all a hoax. 

My bad for being too broad. Clarification: my understanding is that it all depends on the MUF. I would say "above 60 Mhz" but then some guy would come in saying "but I get FM skip all the time!" which my understanding is that it's a different phenom than F layer skip. DX as regards the old analog system, with K0RGR's comment about channel 2,3,4 skip, either that was due to a very high MUF or it was E skip or tropo. I know that Australasia used TV channel 1 and even a ch 0 in VK land, but I don't know what freqs those were assigned, so I won't comment. Channel 1 in the US had to be abandoned because it behaved more like SW than FM.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: