Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging Software for Google Chromebook  (Read 6836 times)
W3JAR

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:41:31 AM »

Hi Everyone,
Just got a google chromebook after my MAC kept crashing. I have tried searching, but was curious to see if any of you had any options for logging software. I tried looking, but it seems that software is designed for Windows, Linux, and iOS. Not sure if any of these could be used on chromebook's operating system.

Any help would be appreciated!
John
W3JAR
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

What?  A MAC crashing?  What is the world coming to?   Shocked   Wink
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Just got a google chromebook after my MAC kept crashing.
Any help would be appreciated!
John
W3JAR

Windows owns the hamradio software market. They is much more ham software for Windows than a Mac. A Chromebook is even worse than the Mac as far as availability of ham software. You may be SOL. Break down and get a cheap PC with windows, they ain't much more $$ than a Chromebook.

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »

As I mentioned when you asked me about this via email, I understand that you can run Linux on your Chromebook. That will open the door to amateur radio apps that run natively on Linux, as well as Windows-based  amateur radio applications that can run on Linux via Wine or a virtual machine.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »

Break down and get a cheap PC with windows, they ain't much more $$ than a Chromebook.

If you consider the applications you plan to run to be "mission critical" -- perhaps your logging or contesting software -- then buying a "cheap PC" is bad advice unless you place no value on your time or your stomach lining. Acquiring reliable hardware is recommended.

Dave, AA6YQ
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:28:55 AM »

As I mentioned when you asked me about this via email, I understand that you can run Linux on your Chromebook. That will open the door to amateur radio apps that run natively on Linux, as well as Windows-based  amateur radio applications that can run on Linux via Wine or a virtual machine.

Dave, AA6YQ
If you can run Linux, try CQRLOG.  Very nice software...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:30:12 AM »

Break down and get a cheap PC with windows, they ain't much more $$ than a Chromebook.

If you consider the applications you plan to run to be "mission critical" -- perhaps your logging or contesting software -- then buying a "cheap PC" is bad advice unless you place no value on your time or your stomach lining. Acquiring reliable hardware is recommended.

Dave, AA6YQ

It was obvious that the original poster was cheap, hence his Chromebook purchase. Anything. even a cheap PC would be an improvement over a Chromebook as far as Ham software goes. Also many "Cheap" PC's (cheap in price) are good performers and reliable these days.

I even think a Cheap PC could run DX Labs............

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

It was obvious that the original poster was cheap, hence his Chromebook purchase. Anything. even a cheap PC would be an improvement over a Chromebook as far as Ham software goes. Also many "Cheap" PC's (cheap in price) are good performers and reliable these days.

Wriggle all you like, the advice stands. When acquiring hardware in support of "mission critical" applications, select for optimal reliability and performance, not lowest price.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »

Wriggle all you like, the advice stands. When acquiring hardware in support of "mission critical" applications, select for optimal reliability and performance, not lowest price.

No wiggle here. DX Labs or any Logger are hardly "Mission Critical" apps except maybe to you. Heck there are many hams that use Win XP on 10 year old computers. Probably run DX LABS too.

No I would not want to lose my log, that is why I do this thing called backups to a thumb drive.

If the original poster was worried about "Mission Critical" hamradio apps he would never have bought a Chromebook. Chromebooks are for surfing the WEB and little else.

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »

No wiggle here. DX Labs or any Logger are hardly "Mission Critical" apps except maybe to you. No wiggle here. DX Labs or any Logger are hardly "Mission Critical" apps except maybe to you. Heck there are many hams that use Win XP on 10 year old computers. Probably run DX LABS too.

No I would not want to lose my log, that is why I do this thing called backups to a thumb drive.

My recommendation to avoid cheap hardware began with "If you consider the applications you plan to run to be mission critical..."

I know a ton of DXers who consider the software they run to be mission critical. Having a backup copy of their log on a thumb drive doesn't enable them assess actual propagation or analyze DX operating patterns or rapidly break pileups when a needed DX station is QRV. They require applications up and running on reliable hardware, not log data in their pocket until they can obtain a replacement for whatever broke.

Dave, AA6YQ
W3JAR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 04:33:24 AM »

Thank you to those who replied with actual information that i could use. I was able to get Linux on the machine and Dave's software is up and running!
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 05:57:07 AM »

JAR,

I'm curious. Did you get that Ubuntu distribution (crUbuntu I think) that was created for the chromebook on there? Or another one?

Good luck,

James

ex W4HFK
W3JAR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 06:34:43 AM »

Hi James,
I used Ubuntu. There were several YouTube videos that outlined the instructions on how to complete the switch over, so I figured to go in that direction. It seems to work smoother than 73 on my ipad/iphone right now. Let me know how it works for you and happy hamming!
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: