Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hooking up my radio,, amp. and tuner.  (Read 2204 times)
K5TB

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2005, 09:19:02 PM »

I would like to hook up my TS-820, my antenna tuner, amd my amplifier. Does anyone know how this can be done?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:35:51 PM »

Yes.  Any Extra Class licensee should.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:30:53 AM »

The sequence is rig, amp, antenna turner and from here the coax would go out to the antenna. As for the other comment, FORUM is defined as a place for open discussion and exchange of ideas.

KG6AMW
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:28:12 AM »

i answered your question on the elmers section.  thanks you jeff/n3jbh
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »

This IS a trick question, right?
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »

I wish it were a trick question.  Sadly, it isn't.
AF6XN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 06:18:22 PM »

Nobody likes a smart a$$.  Many people, like myself, study code, study a book, then take the test.  After that it takes some experience and mentoring.  People that answer questions this way is why I don't like to ask questions.  No question is dumb - why not give a guy a break.

When I bought my amp., I didn't think much about it until I brought it home and started to hook it up.  Of course it was a piece of used gear and didn’t come with a manual.  I discovered that my tuner/SWR/power meter was rated at 200W and couldn't be used after the amp.  I needed a higher rated tuner.  But, if my antenna has a VSWR of 1.5:1 or less I can use the through position on the tuner and still use power from the amp.  Or, I run barefoot with the tuner on bands that need tuning.  My father and I are trading tuners in the near future since he is more into QRP and has a tuner rated at a full gallon.  73's
NN8Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 08:00:06 AM »

I am in the same situation.  Nowhere in the Extra Class study manual did it tell which amps work with which rigs, and how to connect them without letting the smoke out of something.  Because that can happen.

By looking at the schematics and with help from others, I did pick up a few things.

Inside my (FL2100) amp there is a relay that has to get energized in order to route the RF input signal through the amp and connect the resulting signal to the antenna, and also to tell the amp to wake up and amp.  When this relay is not energized, the RF goes straight through to the antenna with no amplification and the amp is in standby.  Setting the panel switch in standby does the same thing - the relay coil circuit is opened.  So, again, when that relay is open, the amp is out of the circuit.

On older amps like mine, the relay coil connections are brought out to the hookup point, in this case a terminal strip, and the full relay coil current will be switched by whatever is connected there.

Older rigs have an internal relay that can handle the switching load.  Newer rigs have a transistor that can NOT and will get cooked.  I'm assuming that newer amps have switching circuitry that only requires low current, and interface OK with new radios.  If you need to drive an older amp with a newer tranceiver, Ameritron makes an interface that will keep everything intact.

If your tranceiver (also called exciter when talking about driving amps) has an internal relay, you should be OK.  Most relay contacts can handle that kind of loads.  Or if it doesn't but your amp is the same vintage as the tranceiver, you may be OK.  Find someone who is familiar with your equipment and can tell you for sure, or study the schematics until everything makes sense.

Some amps cannot handle QSK.  Mine can't, so I'll have to take my tranciever out of break-in for CW.  But, with this done, nothing happens when I close the key.  So I have to adjust the VOX so that the transmitter kicks in.  Then there's the VOX delay that needs to be set, all so that the amp is not being put in and out of standby every time I close the key.  All these knobs are on my front panel, I don't know how it is done on other radios.

That's everything I know.  Hope it helps.  Once I get used to my newly erected antenna I'll start looking at the amp.

Rob
NN8Y
KE7JFS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 03:52:27 PM »

I have the Alinco DX-77 and 400 watt Tiger 400 and use the method of radio to amp, amp to tuner and tuner out to Ant. But the amm sits and chatters. It acts like it is not getting enough power from the radio. If I disconnet the turner and talk on 15 meter, it works fine. Is there any magical fix? Thanks. Don, KE7JFS, General.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: