Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Radio, In a Quandry.  (Read 19338 times)
N5WDD

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »

I have been a ham for 10+ years and have been using a Icom 706Mk3g and a Icom-718 since I got my general ticket. I do not trade often as these radios have worked fine for me, However I find myself in the Rare position to pay cash for a new radio and will be doing so in the next 30 days or so.  Grin

I have been looking at the Icom 7200 for a good while now and it would normally be my choice for the next radio in the shack, but I have also been looking at the Yaesu Ft-950 (just discontinued) and its replacement the Ftdx-1200. I would like some comments from hams that may have used one or all of these radios on what to select, I primarily work a little DX, some ragchewing and do a little contesting.

This Is a rare thing for me to have the ability to walk in to a ham store, or call in an order for a new radio without a bunch of horsetrading and scrimping and saving to get a radio. There are no Ham stores within a reasonable drive for me do a side by side comparison of these radios and I need some advice.

This radio will be in the shack for many years to come, what is one to do?? Undecided

Steve N5WDD
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:32 AM »

I have been using an FT-950 for over 4 years and I have been very happy with it,and I think it will be a major improvement over what your using.My operating habits are similar to yours and I don't find the '950 to be holding me back at all. It is probably least of all a contest radio but for casual contesting, it does fine. Full break-in CW is usable but the relay is noisy , I'm not a CW man and get by just fine with semi break-in.If you do a lot of CW, that is something to consider. For rag chewing it's great, both the receive and transmit audio is excellent, I often get compliments on the transmit audio quality.The menu system is OK once you get used to it, at least it's a single layer menu.Although some will say it's dated, it is still a very capable radio ESPECIALLY considering it's price point. The FTdx-1200 appears to have a vew more frills, but I don't know if it's any better performance-wise. The Icom 7200 is a little basic, the '7410 is definately a step up. I have had many (mid-range) radios over the years and I enjoy this one the most and don't see myself upgrading for a couple more years. Bottom line: let your budget be your guide!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:52:23 AM »

What about a Kenwood 590s?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »

If you want to step up from the Icom IC 718 (and sell the 718) then definitely go with the Icom 7200. No I don't own it, (considering it)  but it has received excellent reviews, it has 6 meters in addition to HF, built like a tank and has a USB port as well. The 718 is good basic rig, but the 7200 is supposed to be way far ahead of it.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »

I own a 706 (just replaced it in the car with a TS-480SAT), and I've had a bunch of other entry-level radios over the years.  My main home rig these days is an FT-950 and I *love* it.  It's orders of magnitude better than any other radio I've owned.  I do mostly CW and RTTY at home, and the 950 is GREAT at those.  A million handy features for digital operators, good receiver, and easy to operate after a few hours of reading the manual.

The 950 IS being discontinued--which means they're being sold at a bargain price, but it also means it's no longer a current model.  You have to decide how important that is to you.

BTW, what W8GP said about the relay being noisy?  I've heard other people say that--but I have never noticed it myself.  Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to events outside the QSO, but I've never even noticed it, much less been bothered by it.

You already know that how comfortable YOU are with any given radio is the most important thing ...  so you'll have to decide, ultimately.  Me, I think the 950 is a LOT of performance for the price, but some people would be uncomfortable with a non-current model.  (I've been using mine for 2 years and never had the slightest problem with it.)

Anyway, keep in mind that you can't go much wrong with ANY recent rig. Smiley  And feel free to email off-forum if you want to discuss the 950 more.  73 and GL with whatever you decide!  --ken   ken dot kuzenski at duke dot edu
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »

Keep in mind that with the IC-7200, you give up FM and the ability to operate 6m and 10m repeaters.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:52:58 AM »

...You already know that how comfortable YOU are with any given radio is the most important thing ...  so you'll have to decide, ultimately....

And that's the main point in a nutshell.  You have to decide the features you want instant (or as close to instant as you can get) access to and then compare the two or more radios to see what you have to do to access those features on each of them.  

It's mostly a matter of personal preference.  Each of the rigs you're considering has their good and bad points, and you have to look at those points and see which ones would cause you grief and which will make you happier than a duck in water--then make your decision based on that.  73!
N5WDD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »

Thanks

To everyone that replied, with comments given as well talking to some salesmen about all of these radios I will be going with the Yeasu FTdx1200. For once I will have what for me is a dream rig that I never expected to have in the shack

Forrest N5WDD
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »

Congratulations, let us know how you like it.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »

Good luck with your purchase. One important thing I`ve heard about both the FT-3000 and 1200 is they both have a very low noise floor. People have said they thought their antennas were not plugged in! Sounds good to me.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »

One important thing I`ve heard about both the FT-3000 and 1200 is they both have a very low noise floor. People have said they thought their antennas were not plugged in! Sounds good to me.

Yeah I get that same thing on all my Radios when I switch to my G5RV  Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: