Anyone like the "DipIt" dip meter from QRP Project?

(1/3) > >>

:
This is supposed to be a modern replacement for the old Grid-Dip meter. Is it worthy of a place in the ham shack?

(BTW, It's a kit. I like kits.)

Bobby Dipole ND9B

Dieter Kuespert:
Be honest, you are just waiting for someone to say: Yes.
It looks nice, but honestly I prefer my VNWA3 networkanalyzer which cost about 400 bucks more.

nanda kumar s:
For a homebrewer there's more fun to be had homebrewing a one- or two- transistor dipmeter!

Nandu.

MARTIN MARRIS:
The description of the circuit is here: http://www.qrpproject.de/UK/dipit.htm.

I have never heard of the technology used in this design, but I don't know much! It seems that the dipper induces a 400 Hz audio modulation tone in the RF tuned circuit that's being tested, and the dipper then detects this tone to get a sharp match on the center frequency. It is claimed that this gives a sharper (thus more accurate) dip than the traditional RF-absorption method. I would be curious to hear whether anyone has had experience of this system. I've always thought of GDOs as fairly approximate devices.

I've read a lot of negative comments about some of the early solid-state dippers such as the Heath "tunnel" model. I've also noticed that some of the modern dippers on the market nowadays are relatively expensive: even the MJF "economical model" is $149. Why these high prices? It's one of the few pieces of equipment that has become much more expensive in real terms, over the years.

Bobby doesn't say whether he already has an old-fashioned tube dipper. Those are a lot of fun and very affordable given the large number of them still around. I bought a beat-up Eico 710 and restored it to new condition, which is almost as much fun as building a kit. It works great and is surprisingly accurate.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

Peter Chadwick:
In about 58 years of playing with radios, I've never used a GDO, and never felt I needed one. I did have a play with a Heathkit Tunnel dipper at work, and found it practically useless. They can useful for tuning traps for antennas, though. However, the only time I made any traps, they were for changing a Mosley beam to cover 12 and 17 rather than 10 and 15, and the traps  being in metal tubes needed a different approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page