Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New general :)  (Read 13311 times)
AD0FL

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »

I've been lurking on eham for a few weeks now and picked up lots of tips and pointers to help me study for the tech and general.  Last night I passed both ( missed one on each ).  I did take a crack at the extra, I did rather well considering I hadn't touched any of the review material, but not quite good enough.

Thanks to all the Elmer's out there who have put together all the various study guides, online tests and iStore products!!   

David
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »

Congrats. While you are in the mode of studying, stay with it until you get your extra. I didn't and it was about a year later before I started studying again and I had a lot of catching up to do.

Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world.
AD0FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »

Congrats. While you are in the mode of studying, stay with it until you get your extra. I didn't and it was about a year later before I started studying again and I had a lot of catching up to do.

Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world.

Thanks !  I bought gordo's extra book tonight. His book seems to do a nice job walking through the material.  The next test opportunity is next month, so we'll see how things go.

Next up - buying a rig!   Followed by the challenges of building a stealth antenna to keep the CC&R folks happy in the sub division. 
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »

Congrats!  I'll be taking both of mine here in the next couple weeks.  Great to see someone else brand new here!

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
N3AEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »

Congratulations.   I took my technicians exam last month and just passed my general exam last night.  Two months ago I knew nothing about amateur radio.  It's been an interesting ride.
KC6USM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 02:51:02 AM »

Hi There, I'm going on sunday to take the General Test , Ive been taking the practice exams. Ive already got
          some boat anchors 80-10 Ts 520, 1 -SE with qrp power and a Transworld ssb/ am  .16-30 mhz radio.
          which I installed a exhaust fan to expell heat from the P.A. and Regulator board.. Thats done between
          exams.... Glad you passed your test!  Im next....    Look forward to skip and nets....  Gary   kc6usm
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:25 AM »

Not to throw a wet blanket on this, but...

With all but essential government services shut down, the FCC has suspended granting amateur radio licenses until this mess in Washington is settled.
N0BOE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »

... But as far as I know the VEC's are still operating normally, they will just (probably) be holding on to license applications until the FCC opens back up. Or maybe they have a way to send it to the FCC and it just gets held there until they start processing again? Not sure, we did a test session this past Sunday, mailed the package to ARRL VEC on Monday, then the FCC closed on Tuesday, so our 9 new Techs are in limbo for now.
(Edit: should have read the other thread on this first: ARRL VEC says they're doing business as usual, just holding on to everything until the FCC is ready to go again: http://www.arrl.org/news/the-fcc-shutdown-at-a-glance)

So, KC6USM, I'd say don't let the government discourage you from taking the General, just be prepared to /AG for longer than usual when you pass the test.
AD0FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »

You can still take the test.  When you pass your CSCE is your license to operate at the new level.  That assumes of course that you already are licensed. The VEC will send everything in after things return to normal. For all the new techs since the shutdown- it sucks, but just hang tight. 
K2CPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »

Congrats on your General! BOOYAH!

I began study yesterday for General. Haven't had the time for study until now (Tech in July.) Doing the hamtestonline thing... I've taken three practice exams (just because I was curious to how well I've been learning in these two days) and have scored in the low 80% all three times.

So I plan to take the VE exam November 2nd. Might take it sooner, but as in when I tested (and passed) for Tech, I want to be in the high 90% range before I take it. But I dunno why! *smile*

Have fun! I know I'm having fun!

Kim
KD0WDL
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 06:04:35 AM »

Great job!!  It is a lot of fun learning new things.  I was exactly where you are last month and this month, an Extra ticket.  You can do it.  The test is difficult, but not terribly so.  I am sure the next round of testing will see you with that Extra in your hand.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
N2EYE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 05:43:35 AM »

I have been studying for my General for several months. It has come to my attention that eham.net test questions (bnretter than 50 % pass rate)yeilds a higher pass rate that QRZ.com    LOw 5=0 n %(    Why is that so?    It isd way off beyond the standard deviation of     just chance.     Are the qquestuojs easier or is QRZ.com harder as some sort of conspiracy.    I know some hams take inorinate proide in passing a gENERAL WIT    Why is is this so?

neil n2eye
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »

It has come to my attention that eham.net test questions yeilds a higher pass rate that QRZ.com
(Edited by me for clarity)

Where are you getting your information?

The sample test questions all come from the same test pool and they are the exact same questions you will see on your actual test. However, the answers will most likely NOT be in the same order! This trips a lot of people up since they tend to associate the letter associated with answer instead of the actual answer.

Of course the test pool has about 10 times the number of questions on it as the actual test, so just because you see a question on a sample test, you there is no way of knowing whether or not you will see it on your actual test.

If you want to see the entire test pool, go here: http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=350

You can download the entire test pool in .doc, .pdf or .txt format.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: