Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI on 2m from cable modem, Vonage box  (Read 30845 times)
AF5MS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »

Would appreciate opinions on this RG6:

For Connecting VCRs, DVD, TV, Satellite Receivers, Cable Boxes, Video Switches, Antennas, and other Video Components

Maximum Shielding and Superior Picture and Sound
Digital Ready, HDTV Compatible
Premium Commercial Grade Compression Connectors for
Precise and Secure Connections
3 GHz Bandwidth, 5-3000 MHz
Weatherproof for Indoor and Outdoor Use
Solid Copper Clad Steel Center Conductor
Insulator: Foamed PE (Polyethylene)
Braid: 60% Aluminum (.16 x 4 x 16 mm)
UL Listed, CL2 Rated

http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-200-007-50-Digital-Compression-Connectors/dp/B004I3YF42/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Coax-Cable_138/RG6-Quad-Digital-Coaxial-Cable-with-Premium-Gen-II-Compression-Connectors_452

Where would I look to find better quality? This one still doesn't have copper conductor.

Mike
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

Most 75 ohm coax has a copper clad steel center conductor. The reason is because thanks to the skin effect at CATV frequencies (50MHz and above mostly), the RF doesn't ever get deep enough to need 100% copper. It's a major cost savings and the steel adds a little strength too.

If you're running it out to an LNB on a satellite dish, you might see less voltage drop using a 100% copper center conductor, like RG6BX if you can find it. But your problem won't be solved by going to copper, either on the center conductor or the shield.

You're on the right track going with quad shield coax, but again, make sure you check all the connections, including behind wall plates and at all the splitters. Connectors should be snug but not so tight that you can't undo them easily with a wrench -too tight can cause the ferrel to break off. Use a 7/16" wrench to snug them up after you finger tighten them.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »

I didn't mean to say that you didn't spend enough to get quality cable, Mike.  Could well be that the cable is OK, and the connectors are on the rocky side.  There again, you never know these days because most of that stuff is made overseas, and sometimes the materials aren't up to our specs.

Why don't you try this.  Measure the length of cable you would need to replace that GE cable, and next time you see a Comcast truck in your area, ask the technician if they could make a cable of that length up for you because you want to move your unit to a new place in your home.  It would only take a couple of minutes, and most of those Comcast people would be happy to do that for you.  It may be worth a try.

Heck, I've even had one of them give me half a dozen of those sleeved connectors and what turned out to be thirty or forty feet of RG 6 he had in an almost used up box when I asked for some jumper cable material.  He said the cable would have been tossed out anyway.  73!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: