Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: People Who Steal Postage?  (Read 3519 times)
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »

So, I've had more than a few US hams, who are not high value stations, claim they will respond to all paper QSLs if sent a SASE. These same hams have never responded at well over a year. I find this comparable to stealing postage. I get it... not everyone has time or the desire to QSL, there is nothing wrong with that. However, do not publicize that you will respond to QSLs with a SASE if you have no intention of actually doing so. While there could very well be mitigating circumstances... it's far more common than it should be. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »

My my...this is a first.  Never figured out how long it would take to mass a million dollars by selling a new but second hand stamp. Not sure there is a market out there for this type of illegal enterprise. So I don't think anyone is in the business of making a fortune by stealing stamps 46 cents at a time. Just not that many daily opportunities for SASE's. Better stick to identity, insurance or medicare fraud as the gains show up faster than 46 cents every few weeks.

I think many of us who have been around for decades and decades get a bit lazy. I'm one of those that claim to respond to QSL cards 100%. I for one never send out a card anymore nor do I get a rush when I see one in the mail. I'm flattered but that about it. Nevertheless, in the last 37 years I have yet stiffed anyone of a card as the final courtesy one from one ham to another is the exchange of a QSL card.

Yes, I have at least a half dozen cards that I need to respond to laying around for a few months. Just because I do not need your card will I ever stiff you if you need my card for some award or just because you like to have it. Actually, I consider it an honor when someone show interest in receiving my QSL card. I'm sure there are valid reason as to why the individual has not responded.

I have my DXCC (phone and mixed), WAC, WAS (CW and phone) and VUCC hanging on the wall. I'm close to the 400 prefixes but that's going to be all LoTW.   
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »

I too do not steal stamps, but here is a problem I recently had .  I got a sase and qsl card from a guy. I filled out my card and put it in his self adressed  stamped envelope and sent it off.  a week later  it showed up again as no such address... so  now what, he addressed it.  I sent it back off again and lets see if it works this time.
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »

WY4J... your response and sarcasm made me chuckle. The "stealing postage" was a bit of hyperbole.

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:13:49 PM »

There was (and maybe still is) a well known 7Q7 who says he will only QSL direct, with SAE and dollar bills - no IRCs. Funny thing is that NOBODY ever got a QSL!
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »

About 2 years ago a station, I won't mention his call but his name is Sonny in Hawaii said he would send me a QSL card if I sent a SASE, which I did. In about 2 months later I talked to him again and asked if he received my card, he did and said that he would send his soon. About 3 months later still nothing from him. I sent another SASE to him 2months after that, dumb me.I talked to him again and said he would send it by the end of the week. About 2 years later still nothing. I only sent QSL cards anymore if I receive on from another station first.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »

I do have  a problem with the US ham who has made his first 'over the pond' QSO and sends me a direct QSL and an SASE with a US stamp on it. Now to me, in terms of a response, that is as much use as teats on a bull!

As it doesn't happen too often, and I can afford to, I usually send the whole shebang back with paying for a UK airmail stamp, a polite note, and a return  QSL.....

In many cases, for a "first G" and a new ham, he can get the IRC, and/or the dollar bill back too - I can remember when 50 years ago, I was a keen young DXer busy working Novices in  21Mc/s to give them a chance!!
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:47 AM »

I had an occurrence early in my ham years.  I worked Alaska as a coded Tech and immediately sent a QSL Card and an SASE - got nothing.  I waited some time (about 6 months) and sent another card & SASE - nothing.  Fast forward to the late 90's and I am working at a Ham Radio store and in walks a gentleman and looks around. One of the other clerks strikes up a conversion with him and I overhear him give his callsign which is indelibly etched into my mind as the "rare dx" from which I could not get a card.  I joined the conversation and gently asked if he remembered my call.  He said "No - should I?".  I related the story how he was my first Alaska QSO and how I had sent two cards and SASEs and never received a return.  He pretty much told me that he did not bother with "insignificant" QSLs as he was only interested in QSLs from "real" DX.  I remained polite and when I got home that evening I erased the QSO from my log. 

I have come to realize that the Ham community is made of of all kinds of people and some I deal with and some I don't.  I like QSL cards but I am not going to let the half dollar or so I spend to get one ruin my day when my efforts are unrewarded.

Clint - W5CPT -

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »

That goes to show that there are always a few jerks out there where ever you go. Just as my case with Sonny (James) that I mentioned above.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »

Go back to the 1960s. Work a DX station who says "QSL W2CTN". That GUARANTEED you would get a card through the bureau if you went that way, or direct for an envelope and an IRC. That guy was probably the best QSL manager ever.....
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:08:52 AM »

Years ago QST had a great letter from a ham about the biggest excuses for not sending a qsl. "I can`t afford it." (But you can afford your kilobuck station)"I don`t have the time."(But you do have the time to spend an hour or more operating your station)etc. It was well written. I wish they would print it again. I always liked getting cards and sending them.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »

I don't know if there is a 'DX Hall of Fame'. If there is, W2CTN should be there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: