Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the arrl worth it?  (Read 9297 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »

I agree here.  How do you like your "Change?"

I don't want to get into politics; I generally avoid it like the plague (which it truly is) but I don't think I should let this innuendo stand.  The decline of the US started long ago and its cause was not, at least not directly, caused by our political "leaders".  It was caused by, among other things, an American public that thought the "money tree" would never bare.  It was caused by an American public that believed that they are entitled to the "good life" whether or not they earn it.  It was caused by American workers that wouldn't or couldn't carry their own weight and were (ARE) paid FAR more than they produce.  It was caused by American business that found that they could "buy" their political leaders and, consequently, lost respect for government.
While there has always been an element of these attitudes since this country's founding, it began to become flagrant in the early '60s and really rabid by the early '80s.  NEITHER major political party can be absolved of responsibility; they all contributed equally to the downward avalanche.  Their effort to blame the other has always been nothing more than a smokescreen to try to mislead and confuse the American public and, I might add, it has worked beyond their wildest dreams.
Again, I have lots more to say about this but I acknowledge that this is not the place to do so

To the admins. - PLEASE, in fairness, if you remove THIS post, it is only right to also remove the post which I referenced above and to which this post is a response.

Tom
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »

Go back re-read the thread starters original post. Did it sound like he was respectful to the ARRL??

Absolutely!  If, by disrespect you mean disagree, then I guess everybody in the world is "disrespectful" most of the time.
He presented his issues in a businesslike and "matter-of-fact" manner, he wasn't abusive or insulting and he left the issue open to comment.  What more can anyone do?  He had a grievance, he explained it and he gave his opinion of a possible solution.
So, if you can muster the restraint to be nice in your response, how would you have handled the issue?
Tom
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

Had the ARRL not existed there might have been no amateur radio after WWI and no amateur radio today.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »

I don't want to get into politics

Whenever anyone starts a post like this you just know they are going to get into politics.

If you don't want to get into politics then DON'T.

One would do well to stick to the topic at hand and treat others in a friendly and respectful manner.  

YOU said that....
Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:13:24 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 03:49:13 AM »

Mean while getting back to the question of weather amateur radio would exist without the ARRL, I believe it would although not in the present form as we know it. Regardless of future government regulations or ARRL existence, due to the abundance of current rigs in use or stowed away(especially small portable units) a certain percentage of hams being of independent and experimental nature will continue to find ways to operate, call it free banding, illegal operating, boot legging, encryption or what ever you want. Frequency restrictions will have no meaning. In this day and age what entity will have the manpower/resources to chase these people down and more to the point keep them down. Younger present and future hams of today are generally wiser to the political shenanigans and self serving restrictions that were imposed ( for legitimate reason) on the mind set of the WW11 generation of amateur radio operators.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:01:31 AM by W1JKA » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »

Mean while getting back to the question of weather amateur radio would exist without the ARRL, I believe it would although not in the present form as we know it....

Which, in essence, is what was said in the post I made.  If someone else believes differently and believes ham radio would disappear altogether, again as I said, ALL the governments of the world would have to unilaterally abolish the ham radio service and reassign all of the ham bands to other services.  That's so unlikely that it's almost bordering on impossible.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »

Had the ARRL not existed there might have been no amateur radio after WWI and no amateur radio today.

I agree. There's a lot of reasons I'm frustrated with the ARRL, such as their "improved" web site and lousy forum software. There's a lot of discussion lately about those issues on the ARRL forum itself, which it appears that the powers-that-be there choose to ignore. Amazing.

As a result, I get very irritated at them. A LOT. However, if it were not for the ARRL, heaven help all of us hams. Some things they do wonderfully, like protect our bands and rights. There is no other organization that I know of that can do that. Maybe there should be; but until there is, thank heaven for the ARRL.

KC2YSO

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »

Attitude? really Stan?

How do you react to someone treating YOU like dirt STAN, or are you used to it? Do you LIKE IT? Get real.

Quote from stanely... K9IUQ below....

I don't know about you being a miserable person but judging from your post you do have an "Attitude" which is probably why you have problems with the ARRL.

Why not just do the ARRL a favor and dump them. You can buy their Books on Amazon at a discount and free shipping too.

Stan K9IUQ

[/quote]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:10:12 AM by KC2YSO » Logged
KC2YSO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »

Thank you for all of the respectful comments and replies, ( even you Stan ) you all have given me something to think about.

That's the BEST part of ham radio for me, I am an open minded person and I like to hear other peoples opinion's on all topics.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:19:01 AM by KC2YSO » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »

Re: W0BTU  reply #36

I had to read your post a second time before I realized you were referring to the ARRL and not the U.S. Government in general. Wink
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »

Having been on the 'inside', I'm not convinced about IARU surviving without ARRL support. I am still an IARU Technical Consultant, which is why I know about Geneva costs.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: