Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity call for effective DX'ing  (Read 10804 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:42 PM »

I saw the news that Vanity HQ is closing.  I got my vanity callsign primarily because I wanted a short callsign that's conducive for DX'ing/contesting.  On the other hand there are successful DX'ers with long callsigns.  Dave AA6YQ is a good example.  I know DX'ing skills mean a lot but wouldn't it be better if one has the skills and a short callsign?  For those of you with long callsigns have you thought about getting a vanity callsign?  I went though the trouble in 2010 and it was very difficult to get a 1x2 callsign.  It's lottery based and everyone who applied on the same day gets an equal chance of winning.  Most available 1x2 callsigns have 30+ applicants.  I lucked out because I was the only person who applied on the day it became available Grin

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »

There is no question that a shorter 1X 2 call is better for DXing and contesting, but not absolutely essential.  My call works just fine for me. Many guys who are Extras and have a 1X 3 call could change their call but opt not to do so.

What bugs me about the Vanity system are the many abuses by those who want a short call aside from their own for contesting under the guise of a "club call".  There are too many of these phony balony clubs with only 1-2 members.  There needs to be a crackdown in that area.

Paul N6PSE
http://n6pse.wordpress.com  <<< my new blog.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:55:17 PM by N6PSE » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

What bugs me about the Vanity system are the many abuses by those who want a short call aside from their own for contesting under the guise of a "club call".  There are too many of these phony balony clubs with only 1-2 members.  There needs to be a crackdown in that area.

Agreed.  There are very few 1X2s to begin with.  I found the following in a related thread on QRZ.  Ionospheric research?  Yeah right Angry

Here's the king of vanity call sign abusers.

K4RA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMATEUR RAD CLB 0005100854HV Active 10/08/2012

W2GA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMATEUR RAD CLB 0005100854HV Active 04/22/2013

W2XA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMATEUR RAD CLB 0005100854HV Active 03/07/2012

W8GA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMAT RAD CLB0 005100854HV Active 11/06/2008

K2OA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 12/09/2008

K6GA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 03/07/2012

K6XA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 04/28/2009

K8OA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 10/05/2008

N3GA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 11/06/2008

Trustee: EMERALD, ALAN C Call Sign W1GA

Jonathan W6GX
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:52:47 AM »

I saw the news that Vanity HQ is closing.

I saw this website is in the most recent ARRL Letter: http://www.radioqth.net/

It will tell you what callsigns are immediately available, which ones are in the two year waiting periond and which ones have had an application filed.

There is also a CW Call Sign Weight Analzyer: http://www.radioqth.net/cwweight.aspx. This will tell you how long it will take to send a call sign using CW.

WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:14:25 AM »

There's still http://www.ae7q.net/ .

My original call, WA3RQH, was described by the Elmer down the street as a "DX nightmare"  Grin

-wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:03:25 AM »

On the other hand there are successful DX'ers with long callsigns.  Dave AA6YQ is a good example.  

So is Vince KA3NRX.... Roll Eyes Wink....if you can call me successful at my current rate and with what I currently have.  I love may ridiculously long call sign....believe it or not, especially for CW.....the suffix characters ebb and flow as follows.....2 characters, 3 characters, 4 characters..thus making a long call sign seem shorter than it is.....Thought about changing my call sign many times, for the purposes put forth in this thread.....but my plan is to work all the DXCC entities with it before I do.....(good luck slappy!)...or at least make HR.....and if I ever do change it, it will only be to lose the A, so I can keep most of the original for that CW ebb and flow.....

V
KA3NRX

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »

My callsign when I was first into ham radio as a kid was long, when I retested two years ago, I was given KC9TRM. It was a nice call and on SSB, I was lucky to get it all out before the DX was mid QSO. 

When I got my vanity call, I wanted a DX call and there were not many available. I love the ring AD9DX has on CW it's not short on CW but it to my ears sounds good. The Fort Wayne Radio Club has the kicker on CW though, W9TE.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »

Those callsigns that end with a 'X' are lucky Grin  There's no better way to end a callsign with a 'X' for either SSB or CW Grin  Of course everyone thinks that their call is the best Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »

Agreed.  There are very few 1X2s to begin with.  I found the following in a related thread on QRZ.  Ionospheric research?  Yeah right Angry

Here's the king of vanity call sign abusers.

K4RA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMATEUR RAD CLB 0005100854HV Active 10/08/2012

W2GA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMATEUR RAD CLB 0005100854HV Active 04/22/2013

W2XA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMATEUR RAD CLB 0005100854HV Active 03/07/2012

W8GA IONOSPHERIC RESEARCH GROUP AMAT RAD CLB0 005100854HV Active 11/06/2008

K2OA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 12/09/2008

K6GA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 03/07/2012

K6XA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 04/28/2009

K8OA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 10/05/2008

N3GA NORTH AMERICA PACIFIC UHF RADIO CLUB 0005101050HV Active 11/06/2008

Trustee: EMERALD, ALAN C Call Sign W1GA

Jonathan W6GX

This is a shame! To have all these nice call signs sitting idle just because someone like this guy CAN do it. I agree with Paul, FCC or ARRL should stop this abuse. If it was up to me I would start with taking away the radio club's 1x2 call signs unless they present a log with at least few thousand Qso's per year.

73 Dragan K0AP
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 08:08:24 AM »

That is disgusting that some individual can tie up that many 1x2 calls under that phony guise.

When I took my extra I thought I was going to be issued a new "extra format" 2x2 call like AA0XX.  For whatever reason when issued I still had my tech call so went to the vanity pool.  As a greenhorn my only concern was not getting a confusing CW call, where two consecutive letters might be easily confused as something else.  Nobody else wanted my call with all the dashes, and I'm proud just to have a 1x2.  But if I would have been issued an extra format call I'd still have it.   Smiley

Sorry to hear that Vanity HQ is closing shop.  Ya done good Mike, ya done good.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »

...or ARRL should stop this abuse.

I can't begin to express just how much statements like this rub me the wrong way!!!

Whenever you get a free moment, look at your license. You don't have to do it right now since I am sure you are busy. In case you are not aware of it, your license was granted by the Federal Communications Commission (aka FCC) under the authority granted to them under Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations. They are the ONLY entity that can grant amateur radio licenses in this country.

On the other hand, the American Radio Relay League (aka ARRL) is a private organization that serves the interests of the amateur radio community primarily in the United States, but has world wide membership. Allthough they are one of 14 Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (aka VECs) that administers amateur radio license tests on behalf of the FCC, they do not have anything at all whatsoever to do with granting amateur radio licenses... nothing, zip, nada, zero!

Since the ARRL does not grant licenses (I hope I made that clear), tell me exactly how the ARRL should go about stopping this abuse of clubs being granted multiple vanity callsigns?

I get so sick and tired of those people who see something wrong with amateur radio and expect the ARRL to fix it, even if it is not a problem they created or even have the authority to fix!
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »

While its true that the ARRL does not have authority to grant or enforce license matters, they are an influential organization nevertheless.  The ARRL has the ability to investigate and identify issues such as the abuse of club calls. The ARRL can influence the FCC and other Gov't officials to curtail these abuses.

Paul N6PSE
http://Http://n6pse.wordpress.com. <<< my new blog.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »

I have seriously thought about a vanity. In the third call district,
there are no 1x2's left. There are a few that will become available this year
but only a few. 2x1's are more plentiful.
Most are "N" calls.

I decided a long time ago to keep my call as is.
But about every 5-6 months, I begin to ponder the
notion again.
(I looked at AE7Q a few days ago, just to see whats available)

I think the biggest reason I don't change calls, is
so many contester stations know me. Since I "do" a bunch
of contests, It seems to me, I might just damage
my call recognition in contests.

Maybe I am FOS too.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »

If you can get a NL8X get it.   If you can't - get a NL8XX or something.   I just use the FCC database to search.   It will show you when the license is due to expire.   That's how I got my WH7DX.   It had expired and just ended it's re-app time..  I put in my request and waited.  Done.

There is no reason to have a longer call sign.   If you like the NL8XX and had it for a while keep it.   No sense in ordering all new stuff unless something really good pops up.   Get all the DX you can.   When you call out - Whiskey Hotel 7 DX..   Whiskey Hotel 7 DX they hear that DX.  Who's the DX?    Or whenever they call "CQ DX CQ DX.."  That's always you..  Grin

I remember hearing a guy call using something like Japan Underwear 7 Juliet Mike.   The CQ wanted to know who was using "Underwear" etc..

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »

I remember hearing a guy call using something like Japan Underwear 7 Juliet Mike.   The CQ wanted to know who was using "Underwear" etc..

Sounds to me like the guy's underwear was too tight (around his head Roll Eyes).

Using butchered-up phonetics is not only wrong, it shows the CB in you.

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: