Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netbook Computer & Panadapter  (Read 1092 times)
N8PWE

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:08 AM »

Is it possible to use a netbook computer as a panadapter? I have a Kenwood 570D(G) that I use mostly for DX. I would like to add a panadaptor to my setup. I currently use the computer mostly for logging and cluster spotting. Is there any software and/or hardware that will convert the computer to a panadapter?
N8PWE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »

On the ARRL DVD "Software Library for Hams v. 4.0" there is a program called "Audio Spectrum Analyzer" which loads a program called "SpectrumView". This appears to do exactly what I asked about in my previous post. Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to connect my TS-570 to my computer to use this program?
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »

It might be possible, but there are a bunch of things you will have to sort out:

1. Is there a way to access the IF of the 570? To see more than just the audio bandwidth you need a way to tap in to the IF of the radio.

2. Once you have the IF signal, there are a number of different SDR's that you could use. Many of these (such as the LP-PAN) output a stereo signal to the computer sound card. There are not many netbooks that have a stereo audio input jack for their sound card, so you will have to buy some kind of external (USB) sound card.

Tor
N4OGW
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

If you want a real panadapter, look at NaP3 - it's free and is the best available.  Looking at the audio spectrum as you did is quite different from looking at a wide portion of the first IF.  There are a few external sound cards that attach via a USB cable to the PC - does the Netbook have a USB port?  The sound card should be one capable of 192 KHz bandwidth - that generally rules out the cheap ones.  There are a few dongle-type SDRs that will cover the high frequency first IF of the 570, but you'll have to find out how and where to tap that in the 570. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: