Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Log for QSL Mangement/ award tracking  (Read 107808 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:18 AM »

Often I have the mind set that if it is FREE it can't be of that great of value
there are two big exceptions to that rule...

N1MM for contesting and DX Lab Suite

You got it half right. N1MM is a superior contest Logger, one that I have used for years - for Contesting only.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »

Sorry Dave, but I have to agree with Stan on this one.

At the bottom line, advertising is still advertising.

I really hope Dave reads your whole post. There is NO reason for a Logger programmer to constantly "push" his Logger on eham forums. It does get pretty old.

Dave, if your Logger is superior let your users tell the story. You are perhaps a little too biased......

If you still feel the need to tout your Logger please buy an advertising Banner on  eham.

Stan K9IUQ

AJ8B

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »

I would second all of the kudos for DXLabs. I am in to listening, tuning and working the bands, not managing uploads, printing, research etc. The DXSuite handles all of those tasks in an integrated fashion so that I can work 'em and get credit for 'em.

AJ8B => Bill
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »

In DXView depending on what you click on, the window changes size to dinky and back to large. It will give you a headache if you do it often.

That's false.

That is true and I apologize. The program that keeps changing window size is DXKeeper. Instead of bringing a new window up like most Window programs, DxKeeper will change size from dinky to large depending on what you click on. DXKeeper is the main logger window. I am sorry I got it wrong but one must run so many different programs/windows in DXlabs it is difficult to keep track of them all.

That's also false, Stan. DXKeeper's Main window has six tabs. Five of them are of fixed size -- all around 700 x 400 pixels. The sixth tab is fully-resizable. Each tab supports a user activity: logging QSOs, QSLing, checking progress, importing QSOs, etc. so users tend to select a tab, and complete a set of tasks using the facilities provided on that tab.

When QSLing,for example, clicking one button on the Main window's QSL tab gathers all unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance award progress, a second button on that tab displays a preview of the QSL cards or labels that will be generated, a third button displays a preview of the envelopes or address labels that will be generated, a fourth button prints the QSL cards or labels, a fifth button prints the envelopes or address labels, and sixth button updates logged QSOs to reflect the issuance of QSL cards/labels requesting confirmation. The process is straightforward, and entirely supported within the Main window's QSL tab.

I understand that you dislike having multiple windows on-screen. However, the majority of ops -- particularly DXers -- strongly desire the immediate access to needed information that a multi-window interface can provide.

Dave, AA6YQ

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »

What you mean is "DXLab's Interface needs a lot of rework to gain you as a user". I wouldn't take DXLab backwards to gain 1000 users, Stan, much less to gain the few that share your view.

Dave I suggest you can not see the forest because the trees are in the way. Because DxLabs is free you have few users telling you what they really think. Instead they tell you what you want to hear. It is hard to complain about a program when it is free.

That's demonstrably false, Stan. Take a look at the DXLab Yahoo Group, and you'll find plenty of critique.

DXLAbs is a non-standard windows program. It does not use even simple Windows conventions like drop down menus.

Buggy-whips were once the "standard convention" for initiating transportation; so were hand-cranked engines. Drop-down menus were state-of-the-art in the 1990s. You may still prefer them, just as some folks like driving old cars, and that's fine. But as I've said, the majority of ops who have tried DXLab have found its user interface significantly easier to use than drop-down menus. Once again, I'll cite DXLab's eHam reviews to substantiate this point.

You do yourself a big dis-service by constantly promoting and pasting your DXLabs brochure into every Logger thread.

I respond when users seek recommendations or ask questions, and will continue to do so. Many DXLab users first learned of it from such responses here and elsewhere.

If DxLabs is great the ham will find out by himself.

That's a ridiculously naive assertion, Stan.

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:00:32 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »

You do yourself a big dis-service by constantly promoting and pasting your DXLabs brochure into every Logger thread.

Sorry Dave, but I have to agree with Stan on this one.

I have always been interested in the digital modes and many years ago when PSK31 was the "new kid on the block", I would frequently run across WA2VOS on RTTY and once in a while on PSK31. For those of you who do not recognize the callsign, he is the US representative for MixW software. Even though we started out having "normal" QSOs, the conversation would always turn to how great and how fabulous MixW was and that I should really give it a try. After a while, it just became tiresome talking to him so I just kept spinning the dial or moving somewhere else on the waterfall whenever I would see him.

If that is all he wanted to talk about, then why would I want to continue to talk to him? I checked my log and it has been almost 10 years since he and I last spoke. Even though I have seen his call on the waterfalls from time to time, he is one of the very few people who are on my "black list" of those stations with whom I have no desire to have any more contacts in my log.

At least on the "other forum", Ham Radio Deluxe has a separate sub-forum so perhaps eHam could consider doing the same for you. Unlike MixW, DXLabs is free but the bottom line, advertising is still advertising.

This is an online forum, not a QSO. When users seek recommendations or post questions, it is appropriate to respond; I will continue to do so.

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

I understand that you dislike having multiple windows on-screen. However, the majority of ops -- particularly DXers -- strongly desire the immediate access to needed information

Actually I use 2 monitors. Loggers like Commcat and Logic have multiple small windows that you can put into one window. Also these Loggers use color  Wink  to great advantage for the user. Need more information? Just hit the Maximize button on one of the small windows. Or use the drop down Menus. Pretty Simple actually and Intuitive since these programs adhere to Window conventions.   Cheesy Cheesy

FWIW I am an Active Dxer.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

When users seek recommendations or post questions, it is appropriate to respond; I will continue to do so.     

Is it appropriate to constantly try to push DXLabs down the Newbies throat? I do not see Howard Nurse doing it or the HRD guys or Hosenose doing it with their loggers.

Just you Dave. and your responses on this issue is doing a real dis-service to DXLabs.

As you say you will continue to do so and perhaps K9IUQ will continue to give Hams real information that will actually help them decide what logger is best for them:

I have said before and will say it again:

Try all the loggers out, they have a free trial. Figure out what works for YOU. ."

Somehow I get the feeling you do not like this suggestion since it suggests that competition is good.

Stan K9IUQ

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »

I understand that you dislike having multiple windows on-screen. However, the majority of ops -- particularly DXers -- strongly desire the immediate access to needed information

Actually I use 2 monitors. Loggers like Commcat and Logic have multiple small windows that you can put into one window.

That's the much-criticized Multiple Document Interface . You really do love 90's technology, Stan.

Also these Loggers use color  Wink  to great advantage for the user.

DXLab applications use font color to indicate "neededness" for DXing awards, and background color to indicate participation in LoTW and/or eQSL.cc; one glance shows active DX stations that are needed and QSL electronically.  Color is also used to distinguish bands in the realtime propagation display and in the world map view of active DX stations.

Need more information? Just hit the Maximize button on one of the small windows.

...and lose the ability to see any of the other information being displayed by the application.

FWIW I am an Active Dxer.

What are your DXing objectives? How are you doing against those objectives?

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 11:40:43 AM »

When users seek recommendations or post questions, it is appropriate to respond; I will continue to do so.    

Is it appropriate to constantly try to push DXLabs down the Newbies throat? I do not see Howard Nurse doing it or the HRD guys or Hosenose doing it with their loggers.

It is appropriate to respond to requests for recommendations or information. What other developers do or don't do with respect to "awareness" is their business.

Just you Dave. and your responses on this issue is doing a real dis-service to DXLabs.

As I've pointed out, DXLab has gained many new users as a result of posts here and elsewhere. Your "dis-service" characterization is inaccurate.

As you say you will continue to do so and perhaps K9IUQ will continue to give Hams real information that will actually help them decide what logger is best for them:

I have said before and will say it again:

Try all the loggers out, they have a free trial. Figure out what works for YOU. ."

Somehow I get the feeling you do not like this suggestion since it suggests that competition is good.

You're wrong again, Stan. I strongly believe in competition. Read the eHam reviews of DXLab, and you'll see that most reviewers came from another application, and that many tried quite a few different applications before choosing DXLab.

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »

What are your DXing objectives? How are you doing against those objectives?

My only objective is to make Dxing and Hamradio fun. When it ceases to be fun (been a ham for 53 years) I will take up fishing as a hobby.

I am doing quite well against my objective of having fun. It would not be fun if I was forced to use DXLabs.

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »

It would not be fun if I was forced to use DXLabs.

Since you strongly prefer user interfaces that employ the menus and MDI (Multiple Document Interface) schemes of the 1990s, it would be surprising if you found DXLab to your liking.

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:37:04 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »

Since you strongly prefer user interfaces that employ the menus and MDI (Multiple Document Interface) schemes of the 1990s, it would be surprising if you found DXLab to your liking.

I strongly prefer software programs to look like and adhere to Window conventions. If I wanted a program to look like a Linux program I would run Linux - been there and done that.

I am running Win 7 on a high end computer. DXLabs is the only software that I own  (and I own a lot) that looks outta place. Plain and Simple DXLabs look dated both on looks (really Ugly and Busy) and operation and interface.

I am not  a programer and never heard of MDI before and I know not when it was developed. However it is a much better way to keep track of windows than have the windows haphazardly all over the place which is DXLabs style. And surprise - MDI has the Maximize buttons working, there are Windows style dropdown menus and the interface is Intuitive, something DXLabs does not make an effort at.

Altho I know you need to get the last word in, we need to close this thread. You are too biased and close to DxLabs to give an honest evaluation of your Logger. I am not biased however I am overly truthful and not afraid to express an opinion that may not be in the majority. I am not going to change my opinion of DXLabs.

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »

Altho I know you need to get the last word in, we need to close this thread. You are too biased and close to DxLabs to give an honest evaluation of your Logger. I am not biased however I am overly truthful and not afraid to express an opinion that may not be in the majority. I am not going to change my opinion of DXLabs.

I have no expectation of changing your view of DXLab, Stan. My objective -- now accomplished -- has been make clear that your low opinion of DXLab is entirely based on your strong preference for older user interface techniques like menus and MDI. You've never gotten beyond this preference to assess DXLab's functionality, the primary source of value for most users.

Dave, AA6YQ
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »

This is an online forum, not a QSO. When users seek recommendations or post questions, it is appropriate to respond; I will continue to do so.

Dave, AA6YQ

You missed the point but it doesn't really matter. I just hope you are making some sort of contribution to subscribe to eHam since they are letting you use their bandwidth for your product.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: