Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Log for QSL Mangement/ award tracking  (Read 99614 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »

For what you are saying you want to do, just log qsos and upload, no dx chasing or contests, just about any logging program will most likely do.

It's the "for now all I want to do is......." part where DXLabs will really shine if you decide later on you want to do more than just log qsos.

Thanks for the post. I have no biases on one or the other at the moment, but for me, really, the simpler the better at first, then adding on capability, if and when I need it. I'm sure at my level they all would seem more than I would ever need.  Cheesy

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »

You are avoiding the issue. My low opinion of DxLabs is shared by Many hams. Do my little math exercise and you will see that DXLabs is shunned by a majority of hams that use other Loggers.

That's false. An op who uses another application may not know of DXLab's existence, much less have taken the time to assess it. Your understanding of mathematics evidently needs a refresh.

Of the 111 ops who reviewed DXLab, 95% rated it 5. Fewer than 5% rated it 3 or lower, and that includes you. Your view of DXLab is that of a small minority.

I told you before you do a real dis-service to DxLabs by your constant actions here on eham, you have proved that over and over.

And you've ignored my response, which is that many DXLab users first learned of DXLab through my posts on eHam or QRZ.com.

You are a Telemarketer that will not stop calling.

Your analogy does not hold: I did not initiate this thread; I responded to a request for recommendations.

I will continue to respond to such requests.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2013, 03:45:37 AM »

I will continue to respond to such requests.

Me Too. I will make sure the hams wanting Logger information get Balanced and Truthful Opinions instead of just an advertisment.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:47:39 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2013, 03:56:21 AM »

Of the 111 ops who reviewed DXLab, 95% rated it 5. Fewer than 5% rated it 3 or lower...

While those are impressive numbers on the surface, the flaw in this logic is that this is only representative of the people who downloaded your program, liked it well enough and then came here to post a review. There is no way of knowing how many people downloaded it, tried it, did not like it and simply moved on to another program without posting a review on eHam... like me.

If you look at the logging software review list, there are about 100 offerings. (It says there are 126, but I only counted 100... but I could be wrong.) Of those, my quick glance showed that there are 10 programs that scored in the 3's and with the exception of LoTW, most of those only have a handful of reviews. My guess is that most of these are just poorly written programs. The bottom line is that 10% of the "logging" programs out there are crap and not worth trying, but 90% of them might be worth taking a look at.

My point is that unless something is a total piece of garbage, it appears that people just don't take the time to post negative reviews. There does not appear to be a "bell curve" with the reviews. 90% of the offerings are skewed to the positive and I find it difficult to believe that there are that many really good logging programs out there.

I am glad that people like your program and these numbers do speak well of it, but you can't really make any conclusive judgements based on these numbers alone.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »

I too love N1MM, not just for contests but for general purpose DX'ing. But you're right, it's not a general purpose logger, and has no support QSL'ing.

What I do is export ADI's from N1MM to LOTW, and then export from LOTW (showing LOTW confirmations) and merge into a database. Then I created a field in the database to indicate paper QSL's sent/received columns. Whenever I get a batch of paper QSL's from my sorter, or I print and send off a batch of QSL's, I update the database. I also have a column in the database for "OQRS request and money sent" that I treat like a bit like an outgoing QSL.

I then export from the database to another ADI, showing LOTW confirmations as "Verified" and paper-only (not also in LOTW) as "Confirmed", and upload this to clublog for clublog analysis tools. If you have are logged into clublog, this link can show you what the end result looks like, for matrix of worked DXCC per band, and confirmation status of each: https://secure.clublog.org/dxccchart.php?call=N3QE

Every so often I export an ADI of only the "confirmed" and "verified" QSL's. Then I import this into N1MM. When I run N1MM in "general purpose DX'ing" and it is hooked up to a spotting network, it then will populate the mult window with the unworked DXCC's I need for each band/mode.

There are scripts etc. to help automate all of the above. Typical common tasks that I use the database for are to mark "paper QSL received" for incoming cards, and to print labels for outgoing QSL's.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:11:23 AM by N3QE » Logged
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »

This thread pretty much has been turned into a turned into a DXLabs infomercial, especially with all the first time posters reading from the same script, obviously shilling for their friend.

I agree that one should try them all and come to their own conclusions. I've tried DXLabs (twice) and didn't care for the programs UI, so I moved on. My needs are modest and I still use the free HRD program along with W4ELP's HRD Add-on (http://www.k7pt.com/w4elptools.html), that allows free call sign look-ups.

Another good logger to check out is Log4OM (http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/)

What works for me, or anyone else, may not work for you.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »

Of the 111 ops who reviewed DXLab, 95% rated it 5. Fewer than 5% rated it 3 or lower...

While those are impressive numbers on the surface, the flaw in this logic is that this is only representative of the people who downloaded your program, liked it well enough and then came here to post a review. There is no way of knowing how many people downloaded it, tried it, did not like it and simply moved on to another program without posting a review on eHam... like me.

There are also tens of thousands of DXLab users who have never written a review.

Among the 111 ops who took the time to download DXLab and write a review, the statistics are unarguable: 95% rated it 5. Fewer than 5% rated it 3 or lower.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »

I then export from the database to another ADI, showing LOTW confirmations as "Verified" and paper-only (not also in LOTW) as "Confirmed", and upload this to clublog for clublog analysis tools.

In ADIF, "verified" means "award credit granted". A QSO confirmed via LoTW has not yet been granted award credit, and thus is not "verified". LoTW confirmations must be submitted to the award sponsor (ARRL or CQ) in order for the QSO they confirm to be granted award credit.

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »

There are also tens of thousands of DXLab users who have never written a review.

Among the 111 ops who took the time to download DXLab and write a review, the statistics are unarguable: 95% rated it 5. Fewer than 5% rated it 3 or lower.

Please give it up Dave. Not only are you sounding like a broken record, you are starting to look very foolish with your constant DXLabs Promoting.

Know when to Hold em
Know when to Fold em

Time to fold em Dave, before you lose even more creditability.

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »

Please give it up Dave. Not only are you sounding like a broken record, you are starting to look very foolish with your constant DXLabs Promoting.

The number of new installations of the DXLab Suite has continued to increase each week. Your assessment of what's good or bad for DXLab is hardly objective, and clearly incorrect. The more ops become aware of DXLab, the more ops adopt it.

K6XT

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »

There are likely tens of thousands who've never written a review on any logger. Or anything at all. The folks, I'm one, who invest time in reviews for anything must be passionate about the item reviewed. Like DXLabSuite with its 95% approval rating. Other loggers might also score that well but very few have as large a user base as DXLabSuite. For another look at logger user distribution try this:

https://secure.clublog.org/software.php

73 Art K6XT
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »

This thread pretty much has been turned into a turned into a DXLabs infomercial, especially with all the first time posters reading from the same script, obviously shilling for their friend.

Wikipedia's definition of shill is "someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services."

DXLab is free; there are no goods or services to be purchased. Ops who try DXLab are in no way constrained from trying other applications. Thus it's not possible to shill for DXLab.

It is certainly possible to shill for commercial applications.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:13:56 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »

Wikipedia's definition of shill is "someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller for whom they are secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services."

DXLab is free; there are no goods or services to be purchased. Ops who try DXLab are in no way constrained from trying other applications. Thus it's not possible to shill for DXLab.

That's what makes it all the more puzzling why you and all of these first time posters have bombarded this thread with their carbon-copy posts. Even a blind person can see that.

To be honest, you're beginning to embarrass yourself.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:21:34 PM by N4IAG » Logged

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Steve

Know when to Hold em
Know when to Fold em

Time to fold em Dave, before you lose even more creditability.

He will not listen, it is really sad. I feel bad for him, he does do some good things.

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »

That's what makes it all the more puzzling why you and all of these first time posters have bombarded this thread with their carbon-copy posts.

There is nothing puzzling about DXLab users responding to a request for recommendations for "best log for QSL Management/ award tracking". Their responses were hardly identical, and included callsigns, so anyone can contact these users directly to verify the authenticity of their posts.

I develop and support free software that automates QSLing and award tracking, and provides unique capabilities that enhance the effectiveness of DXers. When someone posts a need that this software can satisfy, I respond. There's nothing remotely embarrassing about that.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: