Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex Alternate Download Website?  (Read 5616 times)
K0BT

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »

The FlexRadio web site is down today.  I just got a Flex-5000A shipped to me and cannot download software to see if I have it working.  Does anyone know of an alternate download site?  I cannot find one by searching on Google.

Thanks,
Bob, K0BT
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »

I found PowerSDR 2.5, but the copy only has the driver for the Flex-1500.  Would anyone be willing to email me the Windows 7/8 64-bit Firewire driver for the Flex-5000?
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:36:28 AM »

The timing of the website outage leads me to believe there may something new in the works, to be unveiled after Labor Day.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »

It seems to be "DNS confusion", self inflicted or otherwise:
Yesterday, support.flexradio.com was srv1.flexradio.com [174.36.134.128]
Today, it shows up as srv1.flexradio.com [198.252.75.116] and it's working.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

Well, OK, the downloads section  " http://support.flexradio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=416 "
still needs a little work Smiley

Server Error in '/' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Downloads.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.6400; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.6387
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »

The site is back up today so if they made a DNS change it finally propagated through the system.  

I bought a lightning-struck Flex-5000A.  I fixed the PA board problems (D1 and the 7805 both shorted) and being an optimist, I hooked it up hoping that was all that got damaged.  It wasn't, so I moved on to the receiver/logic board.  U53, the 1394 transceiver, had a hole blown in the top of it so having the driver didn't help...     Wink

I got the chip off the board without doing any damage to the traces, cleaned things up, and am moving ahead with troubleshooting.  It's time to pull out the scope to see if the CPU is still alive.

Thanks for the replies.  This may be an exercise in futility but I'm having fun and learning a lot.  I am really impressed with the construction quality of the radio and the case.

Bob, K0BT
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:21:30 PM by K0BT » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

This may be an exercise in futility
Bob, K0BT

Owning any Flexradio is an exercise in futility. It is even more frustrating if you have one that has not been hit by lightning and actually works.

Stan K9IUQ
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »

Stan,

You gave me a good chuckle.  I work mostly SSB these days and am a bit of a computer nerd, so I think I'll enjoy the challenge if I can get it working.  I think I'll have fun with it but I'll let you know if I fix it and wind up sorry I did.  Grin

Bob
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:22:47 PM by K0BT » Logged
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »

I swapped U53, the Firewire transceiver IC, and now have the radio working!  I had to work through multiple magnifying lenses and it took three hours to do it by hand, but I'm happy to report that it can be done.  Grin

The the red power LED comes on, PC and radio are talking, and it passed basic diagnostics.

I love that feeling of bringing something badly damaged back to life.  Now to see what else might be wrong with it...

Bob

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »

I love that feeling of bringing something badly damaged back to life.  Now to see what else might be wrong with it...

I know that feeling well. Congrats, you should be happy.

In another life I was an  industrial electrician/instrumentation Tech. I worked in a very large factory and was on Call via a cellphone. Everyone  that called me had a problem and they wanted it fixed yesterday. I brought many things back to life,  it was my job. I always got that  feeling you just described.

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: