Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks K0BG--Jeep Install  (Read 5028 times)
N3WAK

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:55:37 AM »

Al:  Yesterday, about one minute after tuning my 17 meter MFJ Hamstick, and before even reading the manual for my Icom 7000, I made my first HF contacts from my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.  One OM was in Missouri and the other was in Arkansas; I am in Delaware.  The Jeep was parked in front of my house, so I wasn't truly "mobile," but it was a great thrill and band conditions were excellent!  They each actually played a recording of a portion of my transmission back to me, and my signal was loud and clear.  Today I'll be tuning a few more Hamsticks. 

You have a wonderful website!  I followed your instructions with respect to wiring, grounding, noise suppression, and antenna mounting.  I used a sturdy Breedlove ball mount, which is on the right rear passenger quarter panel just forward of the tail light.  I don't yet have a permanent home for the control head, but I have some ideas.  All are a compromise, but one will work.  I hope to have that squared away by the end of the day.  I'll install a 2m/440 antenna in the near future, too (it's in a box in my shack already). 

I just wanted to thank you for all the effort you've put into your website.  I know that many, many hams consult it when they need good dope on mobiling.  You've obviously put days and days into it--it helped me tremendously! 

Thanks again, and 73, Tony
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »

A big "me, too!" on Alan's website.  It's hard to guess how many of us have been helped by k0bg.com over the years.  It's a great resource, and Alan gets a LOT of well-deserved thanks for it.

Glad to hear you're trying HF mobile, too.  It's a world of fun.  I used hamsticks for years and on 20-10 they're a good inexpensive way to get started.

73!  --ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: