Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZD9KX Tristan da Cunha  (Read 5878 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 08:05:24 AM »

This morning was a blast.  Two S21 stations on 20m SSB at the same time both with loud signals.  Then my local DX club member Wayne spotted ZD9KX on LP.  At first I wasn't able to hear him.  20min. later his signal peaked and I worked Gerard for an ATNO.  It was a pileup zoo as Gerard was on SSB simplex.  I have been chasing Gerard since I saw the announcement on DX-World.  I almost wrote this one off.  It took a long time for him to get on the air.  I'm so thrilled to catch a new one.  GL to those who need ZD9.

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »

I heard a few N0's and W7's working him this morning. I listened and waited and soon he came out of the noise and worked a bunch of us on the West Coast for about an hour.  Of course the" Bully Lids" showed up to flex their muscles.  One particular W6 kept calling the ZD9 no matter who he answered.  Soon that same Bully Lid was back in the pileup with his Club Call........

The good news is that an awful lot of guys got an ATNO today.

Paul N6PSE
http://n6pse.wordpress.com
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

I heard a few N0's and W7's working him this morning. I listened and waited and soon he came out of the noise and worked a bunch of us on the West Coast for about an hour.  Of course the" Bully Lids" showed up to flex their muscles.  One particular W6 kept calling the ZD9 no matter who he answered.  Soon that same Bully Lid was back in the pileup with his Club Call........

The good news is that an awful lot of guys got an ATNO today.

Paul N6PSE
http://n6pse.wordpress.com

Congrats on the contact.  Was it an ATNO for you?

Did you work him with your three-element Steppir or your new DB-36 Smiley

I sent an email to Gerard regarding the best QSL route as I'm concerned about mail theft in S.A.  He replied back saying the mail system has improved a lot lately.  As long as they don't know there's money in the envelope I should be good.  The problem is that Gerard will get a lot of envelopes and some envelopes will for sure look like gold to the thief.  Perhaps we all should do a maildrop and send one registered package to Gerard Grin

One more thing.  Gerard won't respond to the QSLs until he gets back to S.A. early next year.  Imagine all those envelopes sitting in a PO Box (and one that gets opened perhaps every day).  I'll send him an email to see if he has someone emptying the PO box on a regular basis.

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:38:16 AM by KF7BBJ » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »

Any idea how long ZD9KX will be active? I need this one big time for an ATNO....Hmmm... Between this, and K9W, this might be a promising fall..... Grin..........

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:12:05 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

Any idea how long ZD9KX will be active? I need this one big time for an ATNO....Hmmm... Between this, and K9W, this might be a promising fall..... Grin..........

V
KA3NRX

I corresponded with Gerard and he said he will be there until end of Nov.  However it does appear that he doesn't get on the radio very much.  I guess if you are on Gough Island you would want to hit the bar (if there's such a place on Gough) after work Cheesy  He also mentions another ham by the name of Andy ZD9BV who is stationed on the main island of Tristan da Cunha.  Andy is in charge of the communications in that area.  Since I have never heard of a resident ham on Tristan da Cunha I guess Andy must spend quite a bit of time at the bar Cheesy

There were several operations in 2011 however I missed all of them.  There was one activation ZD9UW by a British ham in Oct. 2012.  I never was able to hear him.

GL.

Jonathan W6GX
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »

He also mentions another ham by the name of Andy ZD9BV who is stationed on the main island of Tristan da Cunha.

Andy is a long time resident of the island.  (His XYL was ZD9YL.)  He was reasonably active in the early to mid 80s but then kind of drifted away.  Could be he went off island for a time.  My log indicates I had a QSO with him in Feb 2003 but can't recall hearing him, or of him, any time recently.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

I sent an email to Gerard regarding the best QSL route as I'm concerned about mail theft in S.A.  73,
Jonathan W6GX

Why would you have concern about mail theft in S.A.?  I have sent at LEAST a hundred cards to various S.A. countries. Never lost a single one.

Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

I sent an email to Gerard regarding the best QSL route as I'm concerned about mail theft in S.A.  73,
Jonathan W6GX

Why would you have concern about mail theft in S.A.?  I have sent at LEAST a hundred cards to various S.A. countries. Never lost a single one.

Gene AF3Y

I meant South Africa which is a country and not South America.  My direct QSL success rate to South Africa is only 2 for 4.  In another thread someone also mentioned mail theft problem in South Africa.

Anyhow Gerard responded and said that the mail problem is largely gone.  And his wife empties the PO box on a weekly basis.

Jonathan W6GX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

I corresponded with Gerard and he said he will be there until end of Nov.  However it does appear that he doesn't get on the radio very much.  I guess if you are on Gough Island you would want to hit the bar (if there's such a place on Gough) after work Cheesy  He also mentions another ham by the name of Andy ZD9BV who is stationed on the main island of Tristan da Cunha.  Andy is in charge of the communications in that area.  Since I have never heard of a resident ham on Tristan da Cunha I guess Andy must spend quite a bit of time at the bar Cheesy

Jonathan, if it's a bar like this:

http://www.sunsetsxm.com/

I can REALLY understand as to why!.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Wink Grin Cheesy Grin Wink Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yes ladies and gents of e-ham, this is a place that may actually get me to board an airplane!....DXing (or the runway beach) by day, & and the Sunset Bar by night.....WOO! Kiss...

V
KA3NRX

K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »

I worked Rob from England on Tristen when he was solo. He was going with another
G0 but at the last minute the older Ham decided a 10 day trip on a Freighter would be too much on
his back. I would have backed out because I read on the internet that puking for 10 days straight
is bad for the teeth.  Cheesy  I suppose I should go back in the log and figure out how to confirm the QSO.
Tonight I worked The Gallapagos with a British Ham. A true Gentleman who was very polite and
thanking people for calling!  I think I like m 40 meter DEZ and Matchbox.  Wink

John
K9SRV
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:10:10 PM »

I think you are wrong there OM, the G0 who is actually Martin G3ZAY pulled out for medical reasons,

Gets your facts right before you post, an appolgy to Martin would be in order here,

What rare DX have you got up off your butt to activate lately Huh?

Trevor
EI2GLB

I worked Rob from England on Tristen when he was solo. He was going with another
G0 but at the last minute the older Ham decided a 10 day trip on a Freighter would be too much on
his back. I would have backed out because I read on the internet that puking for 10 days straight
is bad for the teeth.  Cheesy  I suppose I should go back in the log and figure out how to confirm the QSO.
Tonight I worked The Gallapagos with a British Ham. A true Gentleman who was very polite and
thanking people for calling!  I think I like m 40 meter DEZ and Matchbox.  Wink

John
K9SRV
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »

That is funny... I just finished reading "UP TWO Adventures of a DXpeditioner by Roger Western, G3SXW" and the last chapter that I read last night was Tristan da Cunha and he was staying at Andy and Lorraine Repetto's house.  There are no hotels or places to stay on the island.   You need to have a sponsor (approved by the town) and a place to stay..

Andy was nice enough to give up his QTH for 3 weeks.  

Roger had 23,000 contacts using ZD9SXW.....   Power was on at 6am and shut off promptly at midnight unless the seas were calm enough to fish - then they stayed on all night for the freezers.   Roger said that happened 5 times during his stay and he actually enjoyed the sleep.

What a great chapter.. what he had to deal with.. the ocean voyage.. getting off the boat at sea in a wooden box that holds 2 in a chair like fashion and lowers you onto a smaller boat by ships crane.. climbing up the iron ladder at the harbor.. the weather.. the town.. parties etc..   I could just picture the entire story..  (probably helped with a gin and tonic)...

What a great way to end the book Roger!!    I just sent him an email and link.  I thought he would get a kick out of it.

More Brandy!!

P.S. I had a recent QSO with ZD7FT - Peter and he was nice enough to reply immediately considering mail ship....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:48:55 PM by WH7DX » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »

Just ordered "DX Delights" from Roger - G3SXW.

I asked him if he's still doing an DXpeditions and he hasn't lately.

He mentioned that he's not too happy with the level of operating lately.  Continuous callers, deliberate QRMers and how people are relying on technology to find a DX and then just point and click to blast their call sign.   Said it slows the QSO rate to a crawl and he needs a high rate to get his fix!   Grin   Just taking a break and said he will check it out again......
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »

This operation has been approved for DXCC Smiley  For a while I thought I would have to wait until winter of 2015 to work the large dxpedition.  Now I got this one bagged I could focus on the other low-hanging ATNOs Cheesy

http://www.arrl.org/news/zd9kx-operation-approved-for-dxcc-credit

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: