Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is SDR Resale Value Like Used Computers?  (Read 59410 times)
W6RMK
Member

Posts: 650




Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »

Which is around half of the "new" price.

I have five sdr1k's (well, one at home and four at work), and I don't know that I would spend $500 for an old sdr1k.  You'd need to have a PC of appropriate configuration to match the I/o cards, and since it's an orphan product, I wouldn't want to count on any significant software support for it.

If it met some need as is, perhaps its worth it. maybe you're buying a spare for a system in which the sdr1k is embedded, like a microwave hilltopping rig with transverters.

Or you've got a significant familiarity with the guts of the software, and you need a development testbed.

Logged
AB2YC
Member

Posts: 53




Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »

I've been a Ham for over 25 years I've seen this lots of time.

New radio comes out and the guys wants the new model, so he sells the old one to fund the new one.
Since everyone else wants the new one he takes a beating on the price.

Logged
KE7TMA
Member

Posts: 471




Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »

Price out a used K3 or KX3 and you'll see that some SDRs hold their value nicely.
Logged
K9IUQ
Member

Posts: 1694




Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:26 AM »

Price out a used K3 or KX3 and you'll see that some SDRs hold their value nicely.

yes Indeed. Elecraft radios are like money in the bank. Flexradios are like money in a Casino, Bye Bye $$$

Stan K9IUQ
Logged
AC8NS
Member

Posts: 2




Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »

Price out a used K3 or KX3 and you'll see that some SDRs hold their value nicely.

yes Indeed. Elecraft radios are like money in the bank. Flexradios are like money in a Casino, Bye Bye $$$

Stan K9IUQ

Well that's nice to hear! As soon as my KXPA100/KXAT100 is delivered and paid for, I plan to start saving for a K3 with Panadapter and 500 W amplifier. That way I won't feel bad about installing my KX3 in my Ford Ranger pick-em-up truck.  Grin

Hop AC8NS
Logged
KA4KOE
Member

Posts: 192


WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »

My Flex 5K does Morse just fine with a Vibroplex paddle. I don't understand what all the hubbub is about.

Philip
Logged
K5TED
Member

Posts: 710




Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »

My Flex 5K does Morse just fine with a Vibroplex paddle. I don't understand what all the hubbub is about.

Philip

Obviously, Philip, you must be doing something wrong if you are having success with your Flex radio.  Wink
Logged
W4HIJ
Member

Posts: 367




Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »

I'd wager that 99% of Flex owners have no complaints about their radios.  It's the other 1% that make all the noise whining and complaining and trying to bully those of us who truly enjoy our Flex rigs and have the nerve to stand up and say so.  For whatever reason, that 1% has or had issues  and I mostly feel sorry for them more than anything else.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ
Logged
K5TED
Member

Posts: 710




Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »

I'd wager that 99% of Flex owners have no complaints about their radios.  It's the other 1% that make all the noise whining and complaining and trying to bully those of us who truly enjoy our Flex rigs and have the nerve to stand up and say so.  For whatever reason, that 1% has or had issues  and I mostly feel sorry for them more than anything else.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ

IMO, if you go into this hobby worrying about resale value, you really shouldn't be overextending yourself financially with radio purchases.

I used my SDR today. No plans to sell it. I made some contacts, listened to some stations. All very casual. No problems.
Logged
NO9E
Member

Posts: 391




Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »

It seems that hams in many forums are extremely cost conscious.

I see guys coming for football games. A trip including tickets, hotels + food can easily exceed $500. Multiplied over 10 weekends it is $5000. No resale value. Owners of new cars loose thousands over one year. Why won't they maintain a 20 year old car. It can be done if you fix the car by yourself and buy used parts for next to nothing.

By paying extra, we keep some guys at cutting edge technology (but higher risk) in business.

I bought EXPERT 2k-fa amplifier. Quite expensive although it is lighter, smaller and less expensive than any other autotune legal limit amp. Looking at this amp inside, it is clear that the amp can be manufactured very cheaply in quantity. Its reliability is nearly completely dependent on firmware. The amp is not perfect, but its future refinement depends on whether its further development is supported by buyers. 

Ignacy, NO9E

 
Logged
KE7TMA
Member

Posts: 471




Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

It seems that hams in many forums are extremely cost conscious.

I see guys coming for football games. A trip including tickets, hotels + food can easily exceed $500. Multiplied over 10 weekends it is $5000. No resale value. Owners of new cars loose thousands over one year. Why won't they maintain a 20 year old car. It can be done if you fix the car by yourself and buy used parts for next to nothing.

By paying extra, we keep some guys at cutting edge technology (but higher risk) in business.

I bought EXPERT 2k-fa amplifier. Quite expensive although it is lighter, smaller and less expensive than any other autotune legal limit amp. Looking at this amp inside, it is clear that the amp can be manufactured very cheaply in quantity. Its reliability is nearly completely dependent on firmware. The amp is not perfect, but its future refinement depends on whether its further development is supported by buyers. 

Ignacy, NO9E

 

I'm more than happy to let you buy all the brand new whizzy stuff, so I can buy it for 1/10th what you paid a few years later.  That way you can feel like you're supporting a business, and I can feel like I am saving money instead of spending it.
Logged
N4OI
Member

Posts: 202




Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »

Price out a used K3 or KX3 and you'll see that some SDRs hold their value nicely.

yes Indeed. Elecraft radios are like money in the bank. Flexradios are like money in a Casino, Bye Bye $$$

Stan K9IUQ

That is not limited to the Elecraft SDRs... check what the K1s and especially the K2s go for in the used market.  For that matter, the old TenTec Argonauts are still always big dollars....  (Unfortunately, I am always on the buying side and cannot bring myself to sell anything.)

In my opinion, some of the used Century 21s and OMNI-Ds offer great bang for the buck...

73
Logged
K1DA
Member

Posts: 481




Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »

I think the DSR market and the I Phone market are very similar. 
Logged
N2DTS
Member

Posts: 102




Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

I would have thought the 5000 would go up in price, since none of the new radios go as wide as the 5000.
The 1500 and 3000 only do audio out to 4000 Hz or something like that, and most of the AM guys want wider.
I can not hear above about 3000 Hz so I do not care, but I look at it like I get a very nice radio for $2000.00.
About the same price or less then an Icom 756 pro3, which is quite bad on receive.
And many do not have the coin for the new radios, I do not, but a 5000 with atu for $2000.00 or under would be nice.
Can you not do diversity receiving with the 2nd receiver?
I thought you could also phase out noise with the 2nd receiver...or did they never get that working?

I had no issues with my flex stuff, and with a good computer, CW was fine.

I thought about getting another 5000, but they were going for much more money, the ones I found anyway.


 
Logged
N8FNR
Member

Posts: 138




Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »

Oh jeez, will K9IUQ's personal vendetta against Flexradio never end? This has been going on for YEARS here. If we listened to Stan we all would be convinced that any Flex rig is worst than Marconi's first radio. If I listened to Stan perhaps my transmitter should be a spark gap and the receiver R-390. There Stan, are you happy now?

Blah blah bad CW, blah blah crappy receive, blah blah bad resale value, blah blah spurs on 160M, blah blah whatever!

Perhaps I am stupid (well I did read Stan's post here so yeah I am a moron) but I never considered the resale value of any rig that I ever purchased. Look any any electronics and very few have a great resale value. I buy my rigs to use and enjoy and my 5000 has given me more pleasure than the IC-740, FT-100 and TS-850 (fully loaded BTW) that I owned in the past combined.

PLEASE STAN FLAME ME KNOW FOR BEING A BRAINWASHED FAN BOY. You know that you want to! Do it, do it, do it NOW! Flame on STAN. You the FlexhatingmanTM! Flex bad, Flex bad Flexb bad!!

By the way I am the #1 fan boy in the FlexFanClub!

Zack Schindler
N8Fnr
Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!