Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is SDR Resale Value Like Used Computers?  (Read 64330 times)
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »

Every one likes different things about rigs.  I would not know why someone who hates computers would even have one one let alone read this forum. Stan, you just stir the pot on both sides of the isle. I would not read these threads if you stopped posting. You make it fun and enlightening.

As for elecraft, best rig pound for pound, but not a top performing rig to me.
I cannot wait to sell it. My kx3 is one of my 2 sdr's.

Sdr rig have virtual knobs and virtual sliders and buttons.

As for travel, we are not all retired. I never leave , i like to stay home.
An sdr and a laptop are lighter than a ftdx9000mp with power supply  that weighs over 100lbs.

Change for change? well the noise floor, filtering and audio processing are advanced in all modes phone to digital. No one said You need it. You bought a car because even though walking is the most reliable way to get around, driving has some benefits shoes just cannot provide.

Rig benefits for sdr rigs are not for everyone, buy some knobs or strike out for something new.

Greg kc8iir

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2013, 06:29:46 AM »

I think the new sdr's have much better spec's then the ones out now.
Its not just a wide spectrum display, I have no use for that also, but the use of ethernet is much better then usb or firewire, and the offloading of some of the processing off the computer makes it easy to use a low end computer without special settings for SDR, and give very low latency.

Dynamic range is improved, noise is lowered, and if they get adaptive predistortion working, outputs will be cleaner.
For those that care, the ability to listen to/watch different bands at the same time might be great.

The flex 1500 is a poor SDR. Its small and easy to get working, but its spec's are way below the new stuff, or even the 5000.
Even so, its better then most radios on RX.

If you forget about the transmitter, its not a bad receiver for the money.
I have been thinking about getting one to play with.

At this juncture, the only thing the "new" generation of SDR does is allow one to see huge swaths of HF spectrum at once at a very low relative resolution. Personally, I don't see a compelling use for that, but it is cool. If I want to know if a band is open, I switch to it and look at the panadaptor. With experience, one generally can tell when one band is open that other specific band will likely be open. The improved noise factor and sensitivity of the new SDR's is certainly impressive but would be mostly lost in my particular noise environment.

I'm waiting for a real game changer. It's not here yet. The SunSDR knobbed SDR is close...
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »

Stan, you just stir the pot on both sides of the isle. I would not read these threads if you stopped posting. You make it fun and enlightening.

Greg kc8iir

I am not set in my ways as are so many older hams. I embrace new technology - but it HAS to work now, not some date in the future. There also has to be an advantage to using new technology over my tried and proven Baby Seat (tnx Tim) radios.

I stir the pot on both side because I am a true Hybrid Ham. I use both SDR and Knobbed radios to increase my operating enjoyment. Both have good and bad points.

Greg, thanks for the kind words. I don't get much love here.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »

Stan, you just stir the pot on both sides of the isle. I would not read these threads if you stopped posting. You make it fun and enlightening.

Greg kc8iir

I am not set in my ways as are so many older hams. I embrace new technology - but it HAS to work now, not some date in the future. There also has to be an advantage to using new technology over my tried and proven Baby Seat (tnx Tim) radios.

I stir the pot on both side because I am a true Hybrid Ham. I use both SDR and Knobbed radios to increase my operating enjoyment. Both have good and bad points.

Greg, thanks for the kind words. I don't get much love here.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

Stan my good friend, many of the folks around here just don’t understand you.

Tim N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 06:06:43 AM »

Perhaps I am stupid
so yeah I am a moron
FOR BEING A BRAINWASHED FAN BOY

Flex bad, Flex bad Flexb bad!![/b]
N8Fnr

Your odd post makes me wonder about your mental health.

I glad he said it and not me. It was quite odd.I think the Flex disease is getting worse and is affecting many people to act like they have no control..

Stan K9IUQ

This is too funny Stan. You question my mental health when you are the one that spends much of your time on here complaining about something that you no longer own. What gives with that? Why is this so important to you? What is your bizarre obsession with Flex? Did your mother drop one on your head when you were born and it scared you for life? I bet you also complain about cars you no longer own. And I don't want to get you started on Ford vs Chevy.

It is too bad that no one can discuss anything about a Flex rig here without you turning it into your own personal bitch session.

Zack
N8FNR
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:52 AM »

From reading the posts in this topic I conclude that infatuation with Flex radio IS a rare disease. Just what is so god damned special about the Flex niche of the hobby when compared to other computer, digital, sdr used niches in the hobby such as SSTV, Bouncing signals off the moon/satellites, giga hz. LOS coms between mountaintops and etc. which all get very little if any negative coverage at all in these forums? The only controversial hobby niche that even comes remotely close is the boys promoting the "life is too short for QRP" mantra. As for resale value Flex is no different than any other  new technology: Planned Obsolescence. My only interest in Flex is knowing that it's just another enjoyable part of the hobby for many hams but like many hams I also enjoy a good line of BS occasionally and on a slow day this fits the bill. Thanks and keep it flowing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:21:43 AM by W1JKA » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »

Well, for a very long time, the only ready built easy to get sdr was the stuff from flex.

That is starting to change now, but slowly.

I guess there is nothing special about sdr transmitters, but the receivers are very different from radios with knobs and meters, you get a lot of information, have a lot of control over things, and the filters work very well.

I would guess the sdr stuff attracts people who like to fool with radio, rather then people who just want to talk or operate radio.

Buy an Icom, plug it in, set it up, and talk.
Buy an SDR and there is no end of things to play with, plus new software comes out, new computer hardware comes out, and the geeks have fun.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »

I would guess the sdr stuff attracts people who like to fool with radio, rather then people who just want to talk or operate radio.

I would not say that. I think it is a image thing for some. SDR computer control looks neat on surface like a fancy paint job and wheels on a cheap car. Once you live with both you find that looks can be deceiving.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »

That does not make a lot of sense to me.
No one can see you operating, or what you operate.
You can tell people, but I don't think it would impress anyone, the top end knob radios cost a lot more.

I enjoy all the information that sdr provides (on RX), and you get a much better band scope than comes on any radio with knobs.
And it seems like many add sdr to their radios with knobs, so they can see also.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »

I would not say that. I think it is a image thing for some. SDR computer control looks neat on surface like a fancy paint job and wheels on a cheap car. Once you live with both you find that looks can be deceiving.

How long have you lived with both?
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »

[/quote]

Sdr's are for hams that dont have time. I can get on any band and identify actiivty, make calls and contacts on the mode of my choice(cw) and get back to my life
in a fraction of the time of turning a knob.

Thats the joy of sdr, roll on knob boys. push your buttons and talk smack Cheesy Cheesy
As for flex , They are just one of the bunch, the cream rises to the top and thats the Anan, make no mistake.

Greg
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »

Sdr's are for hams that dont have time. I can get on any band and identify actiivty, make calls and contacts on the mode of my choice(cw) and get back to my life
in a fraction of the time of turning a knob.

Thats the joy of sdr, roll on knob boys. push your buttons and talk smack Cheesy Cheesy
As for flex , They are just one of the bunch, the cream rises to the top and thats the Anan, make no mistake.

Greg
[/quote]

Anan looks good. Gets good reviews. Nearest repair center is about 8700 miles, short path..  No thanks.

I don't really ration my radio time out to the point where I feel constricted. It's supposed to be fun, not a guilty pleasure. If it's a weekend and I'm free of other projects or encumbrances, then it's radio time. If not, then no sweat.

Flex is the leading SDR in the world. Make no mistake.
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 03:06:07 AM »

Please consider the the 8700 mile service trip is short, if you cannot make and ship radios,  how would you repair it? It a rig cost 6k, vs 3k, the repair is twice as much.

The term, the cream rises to the top? The anan is still a fat client, smart sdr is thin client.

I would not trade the flex for the anan even if it came with a 100 year warranty. After watching videos of the flex, i am out.
Its not about the money, i am not on a budget. Grin   
If you love flex rigs, buy two if it pleases you.  As for me, the anan concept is better   
Than the flex product..      kc8iir  greg

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

Flex is the leading SDR in the world. Make no mistake.

Flexradios time has passed. They did have the opportunity to be the SDR leader but they blew it. The only people that believe Flex is a leading SDR company are those that still own one.

As for me, the anan concept is better  
Than the flex product..    

Flexradio has lost many customers to Apache (Anan). This will continue. Hams look for Value for $$ spent. There is NO value in a 6000 series Flexradio.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:34:20 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

Well, if you go by radios sold and in use, flex is in front by a long shot.
Its problem is and always has been that it is a small company with limited resources chasing windows operating system changes and millions of hardware platforms.
Not a business model I would want to be in.

A small company like Elecraft does not have to worry about anything changing except for the parts supply.
Changes were made to the K2 when through hole parts went away, they moved to a small sub board with a surface mount chip on it.

That was a lot easier then dealing with all the changes Microsoft makes, along with all the different hardware people try and run SDR radios on.

There is a lot of bad talk here, but I do not think anyone at flex is getting rich and having an easy job of it.
Without flex, most people would not have had any full sdr radio, and the ANAN rigs would not have Powersdr to run on.

I am glad they are in business, and hope they stay in business.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: