Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to forty meters on Labor Day weekend???  (Read 3785 times)
KB0TXC

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:22:40 AM »

Hi again,

I stole a couple of hours last weekend during the day, and listend around on forty meters as I usually do on the weekend. I have never heard so many QRMers before on this band. All but one did not use a call. There were fake police sirens, belching and other bodily function noises, someone somewhere must have had their microphone in a toilet and kept flushing, people were accusing each other of being drunk, and other lovely things. I have heard this as a matter of operating norms on 75 Meters, but not down on forty. What gives? Usually forty is very well behaved, and to be fair, there were many nice QSOs going on and most ops this weekend were examples of excellent amateur radio operation. Again, I have no desire to start a fire here or get into any bad feelings. I am just curious if this has something to do with holidays.

Best,

Joe KB0TXC
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »

Did you listen to 75m SSB? pretty much same there but no more room left so the excess spilled down onto 40m. Hopefully the last hurrah until New Years day. I took my O'Doul's and hid out on 30m cw where you would have thought it was All Saints day.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:26:36 AM by W1JKA » Logged
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »

If you ignore them they usually just go away.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »

My guess is that the lids think that since FCC field offices are closed on national holidays, that they can get away with murder and Smokey and the Bear will be none the wiser. I just keep the radio off on big holidays. Usually the FCC only goes after the most flagrant abusers, meaning repeat offenders or those who QRM with emergency services. Here in California, 7255 is a big freq for lids, lots of nasty behavior and a music jammer floating around for good measure, popping up at random. 14313 seems to be used for this on the east coast. I've only heard 14313 a couple times, during good grayline skip. Considering how notorious 14313 is, the FCC has only fined one guy there, some dude in Missouri who only had an expired Tech license.
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »

Easy to obtain licenses + No serious FCC enforcement  =  a continued drift towards CB.        Gee....What a surprise.......
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:48:31 AM »

99% CW here and no complaints about lids, morons and idiots misbehaving. Pretty difficult to blench, fart or make toilet flushing noises on morse code. Is still a gentleman's band and society has not changed ham radio south of the phone bands. Try it and you will never again own a microphone.
KB0TXC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »

I am trying to learn code. I can send without much difficulty (I learned the code with Code Quick... one will never forget the code after going through that program!), but copying code is a real bear for me. Any suggestions? I own a nice key and keyer, and practice sending (I am not a general yet, so I of course do not transmit on the HF bands). But when I try to copy, I get tangled up after the first few words or so.

I will keep trying to get the code!

Best and 73,

Joe KB0TXC
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »

Joe,

If you already learned the alphabet and numbers that's half the battle. Now you need to start to get on the air at slow speed. You will find slow code stations from 14.050 to 14.060 give or take. I also understand that there is also slow speed cw on 40 meters. I always hear slow speed qso's taking place around 7.110 again give or take a few kz.

You can also use a site like the link below where you can copy and paste text and then send it through your computer speakers at any speed. Always try to practice a bit faster than you feel comfortable and you will see a fast improvement. You can also Google "arrl code practice" and either listen right then and there, copy the files to a flash drive or burn them a cd and play them in you car.

This is a real neat site

http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html

Finally, there is no substitute for on the air practice as the stress, qsb qnd qrn will namke a better operator in no time. Don't worry if you are not able to copy much during your first qso's as this is normal.

You might hit some plateaus where you feel that you are not progressing, this is normal. The way to minimize this is by practicing at a slow speed but sending the letters at a higher speed with just more space in between them. Sort of, 5 wpm but sending the characters at 15 wpm with just more space in between the characters.

Hope I was able to help.

Ed,
WY4J
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »

Joe,

Follow Ed's advice. Practice, practice and practice. Once it's in there, you'll never lose it although the speed may drop if you're not active. Being able to copy code is a skill to be proud of.....like being able to run a marathon or shoot a round of golf regularly at six under par.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »

I am trying to learn code. I can send without much difficulty (I learned the code with Code Quick... one will never forget the code after going through that program!), but copying code is a real bear for me. Any suggestions? I own a nice key and keyer, and practice sending (I am not a general yet, so I of course do not transmit on the HF bands). But when I try to copy, I get tangled up after the first few words or so.

I will keep trying to get the code!

Best and 73,

Joe KB0TXC

Have you checked the Technician allocations for 80, 40 and 15 meters?  You really should ...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: