Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote control of the Hf mobile  (Read 8156 times)
W5WSS

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »

Can a removable head type Hf rig that while the body is installed in a mobile and powered by 12v dc be remote controlled from the remote head located indoors via a wifi signal?

To enable an ham that can not install an outdoor antenna instead  use the mobile antenna that is outdoors and self contained?

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

Take a look at Remote Rig:
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1529

I haven't used it, but I would imagine it will do what you want if you have a compatible radio. Might want to set up a separate battery to run the radio, to keep the starter battery fresh.

If you do try it, make sure you post a follow-up or a revue online. I'd like to see how well it works.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »

Yes thanks for the link, I looked there earlier this week and I can use an Alinco sr8t rig.
What I am not clear on is will their equipment provide the linkage via a direct path wifi signal rather than via say an I-phone methodology.

I would like to just locate the Alinco head and their equipment at the ham shack desk and am willing to install whatever else is needed out in the mobile with 12v dc adaptation.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »

it will work over the range it can access the wifi network its been told to. You can buy an optional wifi module for the Remoterig.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:48:12 AM »

M6gom thanks, Yeah I have been considering this option for awhile the distance the wifi signal must travel is about 30m and is an un obstructed path.

I suppose I would need a remote starter to periodically charge the battery/s

I hope to be able to operate multi band.

I suppose I could control a screwdriver type antenna too.

I am not clear though and would like to have a basic understanding on the hardware needed to do this..a box in the mobile and a box at the shack desk?

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »

Look at leisure batteries which are designed to cope with deep discharge. You can construct a simple split charge circuit to charge them when you use the car.

Regarding the screwdriver antenna, if you get a Turbotuner screwdriver antenna controller which works on SWR detection, that hooks up to the transceiver and is controlled by one button on the front panel of the radio.

The remoterig kit comes as two parts. The first connects to the main body and has cables that go from it to the mic, head unit and serial port (if you want to use the radio with your computer) sockets on the main body. The second part you connect the head unit, microphone and serial cable going to your laptop and use the radio as if the head was connected directly to the main body.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:16:25 AM by M6GOM » Logged
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

Yes thanks. One more question.
With the remote rig box and the wifi net adaptor and whip antenna at the desk top and connected to the Alinco rig head
Will the other remote rig box and the wifi net adaptor and whip antenna located out in the mobile connected to the Alinco body work directly?

Obviously the mobile is wireless and can not have a wired connection  will the remote wireless system be able to work?

I guess I would need a router connected to the internet at the station desk top or nearby on one end of the system but the body out in the parked mobile will rx ok is this correct
Or can the two parts connect ad hoc directly without a router?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »

Yes you've got it. Not sure whether they can connect ad-hoc or not but with a wireless access point or router being not a lot of money its not the end of the world if they can't.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »

Can a removable head type Hf rig that while the body is installed in a mobile and powered by 12v dc be remote controlled from the remote head located indoors via a wifi signal?

To enable an ham that can not install an outdoor antenna instead  use the mobile antenna that is outdoors and self contained?

Have you given any thoughts to using a Kenwood 480 HX (200 watts) inside the Mobile, and controll it with a Kenwood TM -D710 from inside the house?
The setup may be a little bit pricey, but it is very reliable.

((((73)))) Milverton.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: