Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Scout 555  (Read 2235 times)
AC9FM

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »

I picked up one of these on a risk buy. The owner had no idea if it worked or not. I lucked out and it seems to work. Unfortunately it only came with one "band module" so I would most likely need to buy a couple more, I see there a couple on EBAY.

I have never seen or heard of this model and I am thinking of building a portable station out of.
I suspect that running digital modes would be difficult as this seems to drift in frequency a bit.

So I'm wondering if this is a waste of time and money (only $40) or a radio worth building a portable station around.
Anybody remember these?
Good and Bad?

Thanks
AC9FM

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »

It was designed to be a portable radio. Why wouldn't it be suitable?  Wink

Specs from Ten Tec site:  http://www.tentecwiki.org/webarchive/555/

My recollection is that the sold well in the late 80's into the mid 90's.  Not fancy, but a simple rig, very small that can be taken around.  Besides, how many rigs this size had SSB at that time!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:24:55 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »

Also, although the frequency control is analog (an internal PTO), the Scout does employ PLL to phase lock that to a crystal reference, once the tuning is set.  So, it has the potential to be quite stable.

But as I recall, the design was a bit funky; it had very limited processor utilities and under some operating conditions the PLL could break lock and then you'd need to re-set the frequency.  I had a Scout a long time ago (when it was brand new) and I think I recall just using the internal keyer (CW) would disable the rig's ability to phase lock, so after sending a while when you stopped, the receiver could be on a slightly different frequency than it was before you started sending!  Or something like that.  Kind of strange.

I never used it for digi modes but did use it for CW quite a lot and it was pretty solid, good receiver, good modulation, etc.  But not as reliably stable as modern gear.
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »

See the unofficial TenTec site for a mod to address the drifting scout

http://www.qsl.net/tentec/
AC9FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »

KA9CCH,
Great info !!!!!
I'll do that MOD to fix the drift and give it another shot.

Thanks,
Ernie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: