Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Stuck" In A Corner - Advice Needed  (Read 15784 times)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »

I just upgraded from a Kenwood TS 860 and a Dentron Clipperton L yo a Yeasu FT 1000D and a Commander HF 2500 Amplifier.
I have a corner desk type set up now, and I was just trying to get some ideas of what people have done, with a shck in a corner of a bedroom.
I am single (Thank God), and I have 6 feet of space on each side of the corner. What have some of you done, in my situation ?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »

I had a corner shack for a few years; had a big cheap desk from an office store that was L-shaped and fit in the corner.  I sat in the center of the V, transceiver and PC monitor in front of me; keyer and paddles to the right, PC keyboard slightly to the left of center; power supplies, LP filter, and some other stuff on a small bookcase on top of the desk, to the left.  Worked pretty well, all in all.  ("Your mileage may vary!")  GL!
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:43:09 PM »

I had a corner shack for a few years; had a big cheap desk from an office store that was L-shaped and fit in the corner.  I sat in the center of the V, transceiver and PC monitor in front of me; keyer and paddles to the right, PC keyboard slightly to the left of center; power supplies, LP filter, and some other stuff on a small bookcase on top of the desk, to the left.  Worked pretty well, all in all.  ("Your mileage may vary!")  GL!
I was checking the Ikea website. They have a very long, on both sides, corner desk, with a sunken keyboard option for the computer.
I just bought a Commander HF 2500 amp, and a Yaesu FT 1000, so I must be sure it is deep enough.
Plus, I have a very deep Dentron 160 meter 2kw antenna tuner!
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:26 PM »

Check the computer rack/shelving at www.globalindustrial.com you can get them in 3, 4 or 6 foot widths, a counter top, and as many shelves as you want.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 03:57:34 AM »

Peruse eHam [Spotlight] and [Shack Showcase]pics,all kinds of corner set ups.
W4TRJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »

Draw out what you want on paper. A simple sketch.

You ask for advice -- You can fit an awful lot of stuff on a 24" deep top. That being said, imagine knocking together some 2x4s to form a 22" or so frame. It's just a rectangle. Cut some 2x4 legs approximately 28" long. Buy a nice sheet of oak or birch 3/4" plywood. You get 2 sections 24"x96" out of that if you can use a circular saw -- if you can't call a friend who can.

Sand the boards, stain, brush on some Polycrylic or similar -- on a sunny day you can have this thing built in no time as the coatings will dry quickly. Make the corner either an "L" or if you want to get fancy you can cut a 45 degree piece to give you some more depth in corner.

When you want a hole through top to drop cords, drill a 2" hole wherever you want.

Put the 2x4 sections together with 3" decking screws so you can change it easily.

Screw the top down in the corners and maybe 1 in middle with 1.5" decking screws.

Cheap. Sturdy as can be. Changeable. And you built it yourself. Ten times sturdier than anything ikea thought of making.

Simple. Build it yourself. Have something to be proud of. Then get on the radio.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »

If you live in a larger town or near one you might check out L shaped desks at used business furniture places. If you have the room you can also look at the U shaped units. I have seen these units go for low cost compared to new.
I have the L shape and it supports my FT-950, an SB-1000 amp and AT2K tuner stacked, my PC, PS and room to write and have extra desk space for what I need.
If you wish if you look at the bottom of my bio you will see my setup. I picked that particular desk up at Staples as a closeout for under $200 and it's very sturdy.
You can see it here:  http://www.qrz.com/db/W7KKK
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »

Whatever you do, keep weight in mind of the different units you may want to stack and where. A lot of the furniture made today will not handle the weight of a SB 1000 (example) unless it's right over a leg.
Enjoy the hunt
Dick KH2G
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »

Yes I have lots of experience with junk furniture in the past.
The desk shown in my bio was a closeout at Staples, a good buy, and built very nice.
I did install an additional L style metal bracket under my stack for additional support however.
N5OTH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

To W1JKA
"Peruse eHam [Spotlight] and [Shack Showcase]pics,all kinds of corner set ups."

Where do you find "Spotlight"??

Thanks,

Dennis, N5OTH
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »

Re:N5OTH

Spot light gallery on the top right of eHam home page, same for show case gallery pics on right hand bottom of page. Many station pics, several with corner set ups. Hope you unstuck from that corner soon. Wink
N5OTH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »

Okay, thanks.  I am not too good at navigating all this stuff yet, that is why I asked...

Dennis, N5OTH
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

Well remember, when operating in a corner it is required in the FCC regs to wear your pointy little dunce cap!

I use industrial electronic workstations. They can handle thousands of pounds, even the shelves and are designed to handle electronics. While this not my corner unit, it give you an idea. The HP Analyzer on the top right weighs as much as you HF-2500, and the rest are boatanchors:

Nice upgrade, BTW.

John, W2WDX
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:35:24 PM by W2WDX » Logged

K3GHH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »

Well remember, when operating in a corner it is required in the FCC regs to wear your pointy little dunce cap!

I use industrial electronic workstations. They can handle thousands of pounds, even the shelves and are designed to handle electronics. While this not my corner unit, it give you an idea. The HP Analyzer on the top right weighs as much as you HF-2500, and the rest are boatanchors:

Nice upgrade, BTW.

John, W2WDX

Great setup, John. I have the legs and other parts for a bay like that, bought for a few bucks from a local company going out of business, and have been thinking of using them to rearrange my station. The gray metal legs are 32" high, though, and of course for the work surface one has to add the thickness of whatever is used for a desk/workbench top. That's several inches higher than a normal desk, I think. Can one adjust for that simply by raising the chair?
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »

If the bench/desktop is higher, a higher chair helps, but you also need a foot rest then. Sitting in a chair that's a few inches too tall for your feet to comfortably sit on the ground is, quite literally, going to be a pain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: