Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit HW-101 lucky find!  (Read 16632 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

The HW-101 is a halfway decent radio... but nowhere near new. It had an exceptionally long life in production (spanning from the late 60's (if you count its earlier incarnation) through the 80's.

Perception-wise it's not up there with collectible classic equipment (e.g. Drake, Collins) or with modern rigs. But it's better than average for what the average ham was able to buy in the 60's or early 70's, and with a little TLC it'll last for a few decades more.

If you enjoy tinkering around with tubes, knbos, dials, broken O-ring drive belts, etc., you'll love it. Download the manuals from BAMA and start reading about the rig.

Frequency stability is so-so at best, and the filters not incredibly sharp on receive, but it can work just fine for CW and SSB and even a couple of the less demanding (stability-wise) digital modes.
N2BIX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »

I still have my origional HW 101,I built in the 1970's and it still works even after going through a fire at my house which smoked the hell out of it. The newer rigs (which i also have)just don't do it for me even though they have more features. I love the kerchunk of the relays and the warm glow of the tubes ,and so far as sensitivity goes ,it can hear things my icom 736 does not even know are their! Go figure! I guess i am just old fashioned! I always get good signal reports back on the rig as well!Some day when most of us old guys are gone ,you will be able to tell the Hams of the day how you used to tune your finals , ck your alc etc and probably hear a lot of newer hams who won't know what you mean. Have fun with it!Randy
PS It also comes with human being size knobs!
SEAGIANT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »

Hi,
    Well, I'd like to thank everyone for all the information and opinions for this radio. Most especially Mark that first suggested to throw it away(grin) It seems he got some blood up from the loyal owners of the Hot Water-101 and really got me some good info! Thanks!
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 01:12:40 PM »

what real ham throws anything away?

unless it is auctioned on eBay..........

Carl - W9PMZ
W4PBU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 08:07:08 PM »

What a buy!!!
A few years ago I purchased the same radio,ps & speaker from our ham club but paid quite a bit more.
All like new.
I also got all the original paperwork & manual with it.
I have a had a blast with this rig, it works great and takes me back a few years, love the old tube rigs.
It really becomes a topic of conversation when you put it on the air.
I also have a Heatk SB-102 with all the goodies and it is like new also.
If your rig works you stole it, if not it can be repaired quite easily unlike the solid state stuff.
I use the Shure Brothers 444 mic with my boat anchors and it works well.
Let me know how it all works out, best of luck.
Dave
W4PBU Tampa, FL
N4ASX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »

I know this is one OLD thread, but I started on an HW-101 in 1978 (licensed in 1971, but could not afford HF until later). I recently picked up two HW-101s. One will go to a high school club as a starter for them and the other will stay in my shack.  The HW-101 may not have the ears of my Ten Tec's, or my Kenwood TS-450, but it has great selectivity and puts out over 100 watts. I have also owned Collins and Drake gear, but the HW-101 holds a special place and performance is not too bad.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 06:30:39 PM »

I know were there is an old HW 101 and power supply. I might see if i can get it for a song just to have another old rig to play with.
G0AIN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

The Heath service bulletin says DO NOT use 6146B's in this radio...
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

The Heath service bulletin says DO NOT use 6146B's in this radio...

This thread is from 2008.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »

FWIW My 101 is still on the air and gets excellent audio quality reports. It did take some time and effort to get it 'up to snuff' but I learned a lot in the process. As they say the journey is half the fun.

As mentioned yea the frequency is not down to three decimal places but usually I can get 'close enough' and its not a 'wide' signal.

I did have to repair the HP power supply as it got wet from rain once and I turned it on without knowing the choke was soaking wet ~POOF~ all the smoke came out. I got one of those solid state rebuild kits from http://www.ultrawebb.com/OHP/HP-23D.htm which went together easily and is rock solid stable on the money.

If I could find another 101 cheap enough that needed restoration I would not hesitate.  Cheesy
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:58 AM »

My HW101 kit came with 6146Bs......
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »

I have read all the folderol about which 6146 is the "golden" one.

there are definitely some Motorolas that can't use the 6146B.  I have seen a thread saying Collins had to put out a mod when the 6146B came out.

from the web discussions, most amateur stuff has the leeway in the controls to correctly neutralize a 6146B.  many 6146Ws were also rebranded B tubes, but not all.

in any event, you need to check and probably adjust the neutralization on a tube change anyway.  so if the tubes are soft, just try it.  most of the NOS is 6146 B and W tubes.

for that matter, there was a lot of talk about upgrading to the tougher 8298A.  well, that's the 6146B, they're dual-branded.

if it runs wild, well, you have other parts bad or perhaps don't have enough range in the neutralizing cap.  troubleshoot or put in the older tubes.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »

I have had a number of rigs where the 6146B and the earlier 6146 versions were interchangeable within the dissipation limits, especially on voice. Additionally, I designed a number of transmitters using 6146Bs,which had, as an emergency,  the capability of retrofitting 6146s,  although strictly over - running them - but on SSB Voice getting away with it.

Those transmitters in total used 7 or 8000 tubes in production without problems...

I feel very dubious about the design of transmitters that could not sub 6146Bs for 6146's or 6146A's - no matter how many were made.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: