Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesters and rag chewers respect etiquette  (Read 43577 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:15:03 AM »

This is too a couple of recent posts taking jabs at contesters.

Respect!

How about respecting other people's needs.

This topic will never die nor will contesting. In That case you have to deal with it in A variety of ways.

Option 1: tune into a band out of the many there are where no contesting is allowed on.

Option 2: wait patiently until its over.

Option 3: choose one of the many other "modes" there are to communicate with other than the same every single damn day norm.

Option 4: if you can't beat them join them!

The non-contesters have 5 days of druleing over themselves talking about the same crap on all these NETS than run all day and night. With NETS so abundant you can't find a clear frequency to call CQ. Even if you do you find a clear freq. to CQ you'll find the same disrespect shown to the CQ'er by rag chew groups, because they think the frequency on that day and time has been allocated solely for their group every single day.

Contests are organized and scheduled months in advanced so that all can prepare or be aware. This is not just for contesters, but for rag chew groups and NETS as well so they can do the courteous thing and allow contesters to enjoy a few hours being that 5 and sometimes 7 days a week is usually open to them.

So where's the common sense and courtesy too play nice and fair allowing contesters to enjoy that small 24hour window they've been waiting months for?

Stop being winers and selfish little spoiled babies! The world doesn't revolve around rag chew groups or NETS!

This message is not brought to you by a hard core contester. Just an opened minded respecting ham willing to share all bands and modes.

Try it!

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »

It seems like every so often after a contest someone will flock to this forum and start crying or complaining, boo-hoooooo.  I wish eHam would create a forum for "nets and ragchewers" so cry babies will have a place to go and cry to someone who gives a crap!  Misery likes company.  That way I can read post from intelligent individuals with positive comments and helpful ideas.

Randy AJ7G
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »

It seems like every so often after a contest someone will flock to this forum and start crying or complaining, boo-hoooooo.  I wish eHam would create a forum for "nets and ragchewers" so cry babies will have a place to go and cry to someone who gives a crap!  Misery likes company.  That way I can read post from intelligent individuals with positive comments and helpful ideas.

Randy AJ7G

Thank you Randy for your comments.

I think we won't get any sensible comments from anti-contesters because they'll have no sensible answers to rebuttal any of my suggestions, or solutions. They'll dodge and come out with outlandish comments that would make no sense at all when the solutions to their problem which I mentioned already has been clearly thought of already. It's also to easy too follow!

I don't think they deserve another thread for their baby cry mud slinging.

73!
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »

Should 14.300 mHz take their net elsewhere, or wait till the contest is over?
What is your reply to someone calling CQ contest on 14.300 during the Maritime net?

((((73)))) Milverton
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »

What is your reply to someone calling CQ contest on 14.300 during the Maritime net?

((((73)))) Milverton

LOL! Here we go! Gonna try to break this down as simply as possible. Where there's denial and uncooperative individuals is misery and......in lamens terms, spoiled brats!

Information take right from the FCC web site:

"ยง 97.101   

No frequency will be assigned for the exclusive use of any station.

(c) At all times and on all frequencies, each control operator must give priority to stations providing emergency communications, except to stations transmitting communications for training drills and tests in RACES"

NOW! I just in bold lettering pointed out the obvious and in self explanatory explained FCC Rules and Regulations.

The Maritime Net is nothing but a Net and has nothing to do with RACES and even if it did your Net would still be held in accordance to those rules just like any regular station.

Meaning! Being that 14.300.00 runs nothing but "DRILLS" the world doesn't have to stop moving on for you!

NOW! If the folks on 14.300.00 and other rag chew Nets weren't such fanatical, over zealous, spoiled, wanna be type First Responders with nothing else better too do but practice for an emergency they wouldn't have such a problem.

Contest's we're around decades before that Net was even conceived so their the last people to claim any first dibs on any frequency, but they can't because it doesn't belong them anyway. In fact the frequencies don't belong to anyone. That's why we are supposed to work together in providing one another a way to sharing the bands.

This is where enough advertisement goes into magazines and web sites with "Contest Calendars" so Nets like 14.300.00 and rag chew groups can find an alternative frequency to talk and play First Responder.

So you asked a question and my answer is......get stepping! Find a other band and frequency. That net runs every single day almost around the clock. Simply make everyone aware the contest weekend is approaching and that you'll be relocating to 17 meters which would be a great band for it. Then after a 24 hour period you'll have it back for another several days after. If that doesn't sound fair when I say allow contesters just 24 hours and then you an have it back for 72+ hours......then your an unfair selfish idiot!

Must I say more?!?

W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »

There is the letter of the Law.
 And! The spirit of the Law.
Then again, this is something you'd have difficulty understanding, as you spend so
much time gloating in you own intelligence.

((((73)))) Milverton.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »

There is the letter of the Law.
 And! The spirit of the Law.
Then again, this is something you'd have difficulty understanding, as you spend so
much time gloating in you own intelligence.

((((73)))) Milverton.

This is exactly the response I clearly anticipated and stated would happened.

I've given you the letter of the law by the FCC.

I've also given you reasonable and acceptable proposals to the problem which would be considered the Spirit of the law.

Even if you want to throw in the reasoning behind the importance of such a net can be resolved.

If your gonna sit by the radio anyway like most do without hitting the PTT then do the same waiting for the moment during the contest to become a hero.

I guarantee that even during a contest if someone's boat is in distress their calling Coast Guard first and not us hams. Second, if they were to choose a ham first I guarantee that some ham around the world is gonna hear a distress call and contesters will obey and respond accordingly.

Stop selling the idea that in the event of an emergency call won't go unnoticed during a contest. It's human natural instinct to help in time of need. Your group isn't anything special from the majority of the people around the world.

It does take intelligence to understand this and this is why you even recognized my intelligent opinions and comments or you wouldn't have called me out on gloating over my intelligence.

Thing is I'm not gloating. Just my intelligent observations.

73!

KE8EC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:28:26 AM »

When first licensed, I never cared for contesting either. There "they" were, messing things up when I would sit down to spin the dial. But lately (last few years) I began to notice that it sounded kinda fun, so when the Ohio QSO Party came along, I jumped in. I had a blast! Yeah kinda scratchy on logging, etc, but some of the guys actually appreciated contacting my county. So I passed a few hours and enjoyed it more than I thought. Then the Ohio State Parks on the Air came along. Tried it too, another fun contest. So I am working my way into some contests while still getting on for a rag chew. My thoughts: yeah maybe a little irritating at first, but actually trying them was more fun than I thought, made me actually work the gear and logging skills. Try a few contests, even local ones, they're fun.
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »

((((73)))) Milverton

Lets flips this around.  What is the response of the MMSN to a station that was legally on the frequency close to two hours before the "schedule" startup of the net?  Apparently, act as if the station doesn't exist and simply jam over the station.  Spirit indeed!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »

When first licensed, I never cared for contesting either. There "they" were, messing things up when I would sit down to spin the dial. But lately (last few years) I began to notice that it sounded kinda fun, so when the Ohio QSO Party came along, I jumped in. I had a blast! Yeah kinda scratchy on logging, etc, but some of the guys actually appreciated contacting my county. So I passed a few hours and enjoyed it more than I thought. Then the Ohio State Parks on the Air came along. Tried it too, another fun contest. So I am working my way into some contests while still getting on for a rag chew. My thoughts: yeah maybe a little irritating at first, but actually trying them was more fun than I thought, made me actually work the gear and logging skills. Try a few contests, even local ones, they're fun.

There you go! Glad!

It conjures up so much activity getting counties, states and countries normally do t hear and more.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:45:30 AM »

((((73)))) Milverton

Lets flips this around.  What is the response of the MMSN to a station that was legally on the frequency close to two hours before the "schedule" startup of the net?  Apparently, act as if the station doesn't exist and simply jam over the station.  Spirit indeed!

He won't answer that because he knows deep down inside they do that on an everyday bases.

No matter how much common sense etiquette you throw at them they'll ignore it due to plain selfishness.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »

I have had at least one recent instance where an "established" net just "started up" right over my QSO in progress, then one of the little net control sycophants had the gall to mock my continuing my QSO, all while the "control" pretended not to hear me.

That was one of the "established" interest group nets.

On the other hand, SSTV'ers have one single 3kc slot that is considered the de facto SSTV slot, yet on contest day, miscreants insist on calling CQ Contest over ongoing SSTV exchanges.

It goes both ways. Overall, though, I'd say the contesters need to find a clear frequency and use it. If the band is full, then go burn some meat or find something to watch on TV. Gathering points has no intrinsic value over ragchewing. Using the excuse that it (contests) only happens once in a while, are special, and should be catered to, is invalid and pretentious. Just because some ops only do contesting, and only do it on specified days doesn't mean they should have carte blanche to run roughshod over ragchewers. It's not up to ragchewers to check the contest calendar to know which days to stay indoors. It is up to contesters to observe proper separation and not dive in between ragchew exchanges with the excuse they can only hear one side.

Some contesters are like the 16 yr. old who burns rubber all the way down the residential street on Saturday morning, or the 40 yr. old urban cowboy F-250 driver who passes on the right, running up on the curb because he feels important.

The rest of us are like the old man who angrily warns the kids to get off his lawn.

And life goes on...
LEON

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »

K5TED:

I have had at least one recent instance where an "established" net just "started up" right over my QSO in progress, then one of the little net control sycophants had the gall to mock my continuing my QSO, all while the "control" pretended not to hear me.

On the other hand, SSTV'ers have one single 3kc slot that is considered the de facto SSTV slot, yet on contest day, miscreants insist on calling CQ Contest over ongoing SSTV exchanges.

It goes both ways. Overall, though, I'd say the contesters need to find a clear frequency and use it. If the band is full, then go burn some meat or find something to watch on TV. Gathering points has no intrinsic value over ragchewing. Using the excuse that it (contests) only happens once in a while, are special, and should be catered to, is invalid and pretentious. Just because some ops only do contesting, and only do it on specified days doesn't mean they should have carte blanche to run roughshod over ragchewers. It's not up to ragchewers to check the contest calendar to know which days to stay indoors. It is up to contesters to observe proper separation and not dive in between ragchew exchanges with the excuse they can only hear one side.

Some contesters are like the 16 yr. old who burns rubber all the way down the residential street on Saturday morning, or the 40 yr. old urban cowboy F-250 driver who passes on the right, running up on the curb because he feels important.

The rest of us are like the old man who angrily warns the kids to get off his lawn.

And life goes on...

LEON:

Eric, this person made some interesting points.  What did you think regarding his post?

LEON 
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 05:36:01 AM »

OK, so you knew you were on an "established" net frequency close to the time when the net was getting ready to start, but you did it anyway. This is like handing your father a belt and saying, "Here, beat me with this!" You're just asking for trouble. Yes, the net is supposed to move if there is a QSO in progress, but after 20+ years on the air, I have learned it is much easier to avoid the net frequencies than to try and stand my ground. It is also much better for my blood pressure! I have no sympathy for someone who knowingly parks themselves on a frequency where they know a net is going to be held.

It's not up to ragchewers to check the contest calendar to know which days to stay indoors.

And just like my answer above, if you are just going to bury your head in the sand and pretend that a contest is not going on, then I guess we should be forewarned to look for your anti-contest rants here every weekend.

As you say:

It goes both ways. Gathering points has no intrinsic value over ragchewing.

This also means that ragchewing has no greater intrinsic value over gathering points. Contest participants have an EQUAL right to the bands as you do.

I presume you have not heard the answer that is always given to the anti-contest crowd... When there is a contest and you just have to get your ragchew fix, you can:

1) Use the WARC bands where no contesting is allowed.
2) Use a different mode than the contest.
3) As suggested above, turn off your radio or go burn some meat or watch TV.

The bottom line is that if someone promised you that you would be able to use any mode on any frequency any time you wanted, THEY LIED TO YOU!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:41:37 AM by N0IU » Logged
LEON

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »

N2RRA:

Respect!

How about respecting other people's needs.

This topic will never die nor will contesting. In That case you have to deal with it in A variety of ways.

Option 1: tune into a band out of the many there are where no contesting is allowed on.

Option 2: wait patiently until its over.

Option 3: choose one of the many other "modes" there are to communicate with other than the same every single damn day norm.

Option 4: if you can't beat them join them!

The non-contesters have 5 days of druleing over themselves talking about the same crap on all these NETS than run all day and night.

LEON:

I think you are right, how about respecting other peoples needs.  If you don't like it wait patiently until it's over. 

LEON
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: