Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blind ham needs some help with radio software  (Read 24849 times)
N7ZZT

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »

Hello fellow hams,

I am a blind ham and have a yeas FT-757GX1. I also have (on the way) an FIF-232c Interface system. My question is this: is there a way for me to be able to control and use the radio via this interface using a screen reader either in linux or in OS X? As it is, the radio (being a nice one) is a bit hard for me to properly work (I have to guess where I am and not always to I get it right). any software that is screen reader usable or some commands I can send in a terminal window would be very helpful.

TUA,

Eric Oyen
N7ZZT
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

Hi Eric,

since you mention Linux, "hamlib" comes to my mind. It's a library offering an unified control interface (from the programming point of view) to various ham radio transceivers. Part of hamlib is a small command line program called "rigctl", which can be used to easily set and query parameters of a transceiver.

While "rigctl" doesn't seem a popular choice for most users, it may be just the right thing for you, with fully textual in- and output. And I suppose you'll use most of the functions of the FT-757 (e. g. the VFO knob) "manually", and you mainly need a way to read out the current frequency from the transceiver.

Hamlib is available in the package repositories of most current Linux distributions, not sure about OS X.

Maybe this helps a little...

Fabian, DJ1YFK

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »

Eric, you'll likely find this site helpful: http://www.hamradioandvision.com/

Dave, AA6YQ
N7ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »

well,
I did check the source forge project page for HamLib. I didn't see any support mentioned for any radios in the Yaesu Line prior to the 800 model series. Also,I did post a support request to the project mailing list asking if such support is already on board or, if not, can it be added. As of 20 minutes ago, I have yet to see moderator approval for the post. Still, until I get the FIF-232c interface box here, I won't be able to test if it is supported. I have also sent an email to Yaesu customer service (yes, they still exist) asking for the specifications for the command set used to communicate with the radio. I hope to see some kind of response this week.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
-eric
Hi Eric,

since you mention Linux, "hamlib" comes to my mind. It's a library offering an unified control interface (from the programming point of view) to various ham radio transceivers. Part of hamlib is a small command line program called "rigctl", which can be used to easily set and query parameters of a transceiver.

While "rigctl" doesn't seem a popular choice for most users, it may be just the right thing for you, with fully textual in- and output. And I suppose you'll use most of the functions of the FT-757 (e. g. the VFO knob) "manually", and you mainly need a way to read out the current frequency from the transceiver.

Hamlib is available in the package repositories of most current Linux distributions, not sure about OS X.

Maybe this helps a little...

Fabian, DJ1YFK
W8QZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »

I'm not sure how text-compatible it is - but I found I had to use "DX Labs Commander" to run my 767GX with the FIF-232C interface (and the 757 probably has the same command set/structure).
The setup has some weaknesses, though - if you switch things off at the wrong point, the radio can get 'stuck' in remote mode, and many of the controls are not controllable from the computer.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »

I'm not sure how text-compatible it is - but I found I had to use "DX Labs Commander" to run my 767GX with the FIF-232C interface (and the 757 probably has the same command set/structure).
The setup has some weaknesses, though - if you switch things off at the wrong point, the radio can get 'stuck' in remote mode, and many of the controls are not controllable from the computer.

SpotCollector is another component of the freeware DXLab Suite. When both are running, SpotCollector can audibly announce frequency and mode changes, as well as incoming DX spots.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »

SpotCollector can audibly announce frequency and mode changes, as well as incoming DX spots.

The problem of course is even Hams with eyesight have trouble using DxLabs. The DXLAb windows are too busy and there are too many windows.  At least Blind hams do not have to suffer the sight of the Ugly DxLabs GUI. If you are a blind ham do yourself a big favor and find a less complicated and easier Logger to use. Unless you would rather spend all your time using your screen reader to read DXLabs instead of operating.

Most radios today can announce everything a radio can do. Most good loggers announce spots.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:25:19 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »

At least Blind hams do not have to suffer the sight of the Ugly DxLabs GUI.

What can one say when confronted with such appalling ignorance?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:19:14 AM »

What can one say when confronted with such appalling truth? You attack the messenger...

Real ignorance is recommending the confuser interface DXLabs GUI to a Blind Ham using a screen reader.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:52:56 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »

What can one say when confronted with such appalling truth? You attack the messenger...

Real ignorance is recommending the confuser interface DXLabs GUI to a Blind Ham using a screen reader.

Stan K9IUQ

LOL.  So now subjective evaluation is "truth?"  I've just found my first "ignore" candidate!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:06:17 AM by AK7V » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »

LOL.  So now subjective evaluation is "truth?"  I've just found my first "ignore" candidate!

These logger threads are SO predicable, The SOS over and over.

Hams (all people) ignore opinions that do not agree with theirs. Put me on ignore, only more ignorance will  be the result.

Ask your self this: Why are you even in an internet forum if opposing opinions are offensive to your way of thinking??

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:30:14 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

LOL.  So now subjective evaluation is "truth?"  I've just found my first "ignore" candidate!

Not subjective at all. It IS the truth: Real ignorance is recommending the confuser interface DXLabs GUI to a Blind Ham using a screen reader.

Stan K9IUQ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: