Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Forum?  (Read 51425 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »

Greetings to all QRP operators:

How does one start a new Forum?  Not a new subject but a new Forum?  I read this QRP forum daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, depending on how lazy I am.

Consequently, I've become very familiar with the subjects and questions and frankly, the whole QRP Forum has become nothing more than the same questions asked over and over.  To add insult to injury, the QRP Forum has become a place where operators can come to say, "I use this, or I use that" and in most cases has nothing to do with the original question. Surely there is more to QRP operating than asking a question like, "Is the KX3 all it's cracked up to be?" 

How about a Forum where QRP operators can come and actually post their experiences with various pieces of QRP gear, kits, antennas, etc., good and bad?  Or express an opinion on something that will help or enhance the QRP experience? 

Any thoughts from others on this?  If you get upset with this post, please go play somewhere else.  I think I have a legitimate question here. 

I'll be the first to admit that I might be able to phrase or word this question differently but this is one of those days where I can't afford to be "lazy" and have to get busy.

Al - K8AXW
K6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »

The review section of this site covers experiences with QRP gear pretty well, though. Why duplicate that content here?

Anyway, we can't control what others do, only ourselves. You should be the one posting the threads that touch on things that others aren't; the rest usually follow.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:57:24 AM »

According to eHam, the QRP forum here is to "Compare notes about the world of 5w or less".  Isn't that normally what's going on here?  I mean, people are asking about 5w rigs - building and buying.  They talk about antennas, batteries, solar power, frequencies, nets, portable operating, QRP clubs, working DX, contesting, digital, etc.

There are also other QRP forums out there not on eHam...not sure what you're looking for, unless it's just trolling...

In 2.5 years of operating exclusively at 5 watts output or less, I've found it's not much different from operating with more power - if you have any specific questions, ask away!

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »

Quote from:  link=topic=92132.msg699525#msg699525 date=1378742801
the whole QRP Forum has become nothing more than the same questions asked over and over.
How about a Forum where QRP operators can come and actually post their experiences with various pieces of QRP gear, kits, antennas, etc., good and bad?  Or express an opinion on something that will help or enhance the QRP experience? 

Just because the forum isn't being used in a more useful way doesn't mean it can't

Frankly, re-hashing the same questions is what most online forums have become.  People that are too lazy or ignorant to sift through a couple months' worth of postings to review what has been posted before, just drop a "whats the best rig to buy/antenna to use" question because it's easier than thinking or searching.  Often if they would just post their question into Google they'd get all their looking for, but don't even bother with that.

Even QRP-L degraded into reruns, technically vacant responses and an oppressive moderator, so I bailed a few years ago.  So I would agree, it would be nice to have a real QRP discussion list, but none that I know of.  The eHam forum format isn't really conducive to discussions but I think it has enough useful content to check on and review.

I think there'd be more quality answers and discussions here if there were more thought provoking questions asked.  As I've encountered with other technical interests in my life you can reach a point where you've advanced to where you're in a small subset of a group that is doing or thinking about subjects at that level.  Finding others like yourself and getting them together isn't easy, so you get to watch what the other 95% are talking about and you just have to wait for the 5% you're interested in to come by.  Meanwhile, don't spend too much time sifting through forums when you can be actually doing something. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »

Quote from:  link=topic=92132.msg699525#msg699525 date=1378742801
the whole QRP Forum has become nothing more than the same questions asked over and over.

Just because the forum isn't being used in a more useful way doesn't mean it can't.

My thoughts exactly. This is one forum I religiously read. Some days I scan the information and move on, other days I stop and think about it and maybe post. Not the fault of the forum if no "good" questions are asked. Another forum would likely suffer the same deficiencies over time.

Doc WB0FDJ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »

Most every forum has the same question asked many times. It's just human nature that it is easier to ask your question and wait for a reply than it is to spend time searching the archives or using Google to locate other sources of the information or (God forbid) to look it up in a reference book.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »

The problem with this forum or any other is not in the actual questions and answers but in the source. Between the newbie who asks "I just got my license, what rig should I buy, what antenna should I get to work all bands local and dx "? and the respected few we all know who can be counted on to give qualified useful answers in their particular field of technical expertise we have all the rest " hamdom human nature " has to offer including but not limited to the egotist, trolls, comedians, self proclaimed experts, debaters and my personal favorites the peeing match athletes. Unfortunately the only roofing filters available to separate out this type of unwanted qrm is the IGNORE button. Add new forums or delete others,it is what it is.
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

While not a QRP specific forum, nor is there even a QRP sub-forum, we have quite a few members very interested in QRP and posting some very interesting QRP and QRP portable topics over on http://radiopreppers.com/index.php.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

OK, OK, I found what I wanted.  First of all I'm not "trolling."  The only reason I put my thoughts to print was because I thought QRP operating was a little deeper that the stuff I've been reading here for quite some time which, in my opinion, is superficial BS that is asked over and over.  However, before I get flamed for that comment, I do understand it's MY opinion! 

Each of you are absolutely correct in all respects.  I stand admonished and understand what I can do to make myself happy.   Roll Eyes

Al - K8AXW
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »

...the stuff I've been reading here for quite some time which, in my opinion, is superficial BS that is asked over and over. 

Sorry if I have insulted your intelligence and your wisdom, but I have only been in the "ham business" for a few months, so naturally, my questions are just superficial BS in comparison to your deep thoughts.

I don't recall seeing any thought-provoking thread starters by you, though. But I may have missed them, sailing far above my horizon in lofty heights...

Cheers  Grin

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »

Quote from: K8AXW

I don't see why the current forum can't do exactly what you are proposing.  Sure, the
Product Reviews are in a separate section, but we've had any number of threads regarding
specific pieces of equipment and experiences with it, antennas, kits, etc.  Some of the threads
might have been better suited for one of the other forums (most antenna discussions apply at
other power levels as well, for example, and a lot of the equipment building and design questions
get covered on the HomeBrew forum) but I haven't seen any that I can remember moved by the
moderator.

The different aspects of QRP operation are variants of the whole ham experience, and I expect
that there is a lot of information on the other boards that applies just as well.  We don't need
to have a specific thread on how to use the QSL bureau to receive cards for QRP contacts.
So I assume that QRP operators make use of the rest of the site as well.

So the question comes down to, what can we do to make the forum better serve all of our
needs?  Is it worthwhile to have an ongoing thread for posting details of recent operations,
and especially what we learned from them that may be of use to others?  (A continuing
thread might be better than a lot of individual ones, because it encourages short
contributions, but sometimes those can develop into topics that deserve their own
thread.)

Are there other things that can each do to make the forum run better?  Keeping on topic is
sometimes a challenge, I know, but that isn't limited just to the QRP forum.  Certainly being
open to the fact that others have different expectations and approaches to QRP than our
own is an important part - nobody has the one right answer to everything.

Along with that might be more explanation of WHY we chose a particular antenna or rig,
for example, rather than just recommending someone else copy what we do.  Sometimes
size and weight are important, sometimes something else is more critical.  Many QRP hams
build or buy a single antenna and use it, without actually comparing other options.
What constitutes "portable" operation will vary a lot from one operator to the next, and,
when talking about antennas there will be a wide variation in what supports are available
in the field.  "Ease of use" is subjective as well:  I have no problem tossing a rock over a
tree branch up 60', but to someone who hasn't tried it, or when there isn't a bush around
that is taller than a picnic table, it might not be as easy as I think it is.

But it is within our abilities to improve the quality and breadth of the threads on this
forum if we want to, so that it does meet more needs for high caliber discussion.

Anyone else have ideas for how we can make this one of the best QRP forums on the
internet?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »

BYU:  You've written what I was trying to say.  You express yourself quite well.  You've brought us several good points and even suggestions.  If you read the responses to my post you will see nothing will come of it though. 

After getting rode around and put away wet, I no longer have an interest or care what goes on here with QRP. 

Look at what RNO had to say.  Now isn't that shallow or superficial BS?  He thinks I'm trying to insult him.  As if this is all I have to do or I'm some kind of A...H trolling around looking for people to attack.  Tell me Arno, just why do you feel I'm trying or actually insulting you?  You need to get a grip, man!  I've never deliberately insult anyone here on eHam. 

All I wanted to do was initiate some dialog about the possibility of improving the QRP forum or expanding on it. 

Rather you realize it or not, QRP operation is a very specialized operation and requires a special type of skill and patience that most hams don't have or are simply not interested in cultivating.

From this outburst and previous ones, I have learned that QRP operators, for the most part, are quite militant and it doesn't take much to throw them into a frenzy.

BYU:
I don't see why the current forum can't do exactly what you are proposing.  Sure, the
Product Reviews are in a separate section, but we've had any number of threads regarding
specific pieces of equipment and experiences with it, antennas, kits, etc.  Some of the threads

I've always been under the impression that these forums what for people with problems searching for answers. 

I can't see where it would be appropriate for, say me, to get on this forum and say for example, I just bought a second hand DSW 20-II and found that I can use it more effectively with a double-bazooka antenna made with.......... because it gives me a greater bandwidth and .........  Has anyone else tried this and what were your results?

Now that is an experience that I posted but it does have a question.  Can you see where this type of post and any subsequent discussion just might be out of place here?  Or am I simply on some bad stuff right now?

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »

I can't really comment on the quality of the stuff you're on, but personally I don't see
any problem with starting such a discussion thread.  You might not find a lot of people
who have used that particular combination of antenna and rig before; you may get
comments that the wide bandwidth is due to losses in the antenna; you may get
suggestions of mods to make to the rig.  And likely some less useful ones that say you
should be doing it some other way, or that it really isn't QRP if your antenna weighs
more than 7 ounces, or whatever.

While the eHam boards are commonly used to ask questions, that needn't be the
only way they are used. 

I only post on one other board (not related to ham radio) and it is specifically
about having discussions, often on very personal topics, or those on which people
hold strong views.  The format isn't that different from eHam, and it seems to work
quite well.  There is more of a moderator presence, reminding people to attack the
argument, not the poster; curtailing tangents; dealing with trolls; etc.  While there
certainly are strong disagreements about peoples' core beliefs, it tends to be seen
as a strong, caring community by those who post there.  (And I have to admit that
I don't post a lot, as there are many others who are much better at expressing their
views than I am.)  Some threads have accumulated thousands of posts over >10
years as the subject heats up and then cools off for a while.

But the point of that is that I do believe that text forums such as eHam can
be used for discussions.  In fact, on the other site, simple questions (on a wide range
of topics) that can be answered in a couple posts are often put on ongoing question
threads so the boards don't get cluttered by lots of short threads, making it easier to
find the discussions.

Imagine if we had standing threads on baluns, G5RV, grounding, and some other topics
that keep coming up, so the replies wouldn't need to repeated again and again.

Again, that depends on how we choose to use the resource that eHam is providing
for us.  Posting activity is pretty slow at times - we don't always get out in the field
every day to operate and have new adventures to share, so there may be days or weeks
between posts on some topics.  Oh, well... life's like that.

How do other posters feel - would you like to see more discussions here rather than
just questions and answers?  Is there something else that would make the QRP forum
more useful to you?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »

I'll jump in again, personally speaking I would like to see some QRP adventure type post as related to portable qrp  ops while camping , hiking, maritime mobile, SOTA etc. with the focus on rigs, jury rigged antennas, make shift repairs, humorous side notes like how I dried out my MFJ Cub in a campfire reflector oven after it went for a swim from my canoe and yes, even successes with contacts.
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »

There are many different ways to create your own forum, the easiest and cheapest way is to use a web service (free or paid) that lets you host forums on their server.

http://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum or http://www.zetaboards.com/ are free.

Speaking from experience though, setting up a forum is the easy part.  Getting traffic to your forum so people will use it, is a whole different ball game.  Starting a blog with a comment system is a good place to start building a community too, because it will help establish traffic through interesting posts you create.  If the blog gets big enough, forums may come into play later.

Your forum is going to get the same kinds of comments and questions you don't like that this one gets, unless you moderate them out. Then you will likely end up with a handful of people, rather than a community around your subject matter.  This site and zed have a decent number of posts because they are established websites with more to offer than just forums.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:36:37 PM by JEEPESCAPE » Logged

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: