Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NESMC Discussion: N.E. 2m Repeater Bandplan Change Proposal  (Read 59974 times)
KB1LKR

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:53:19 AM »

Probably mostly of interest to New Englanders & eastern New Yorkers, but possibily of interest to other regions & coordinating bodies too.

The New England Spectrum Management Council http://www.nesmc.org/ (Frequency Coordinator for ME, MA & RI) is proposing a change to the 2m band plan allowing for some 1 MHz split repeaters [in the upper portion of the band currently band plan'd for simplex, but also permitted by FCC part 47 for repeater use.

Note: N.E. amateurs particularly, (also Northern CA and central AK) as secondary users of 70 cm, are limited by the primary 70 cm user: The US military's PAVE PAWS radar system, hence the discussion of additional 2m repeater options. 

See:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nesmc/info for discussion.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »

Here we go again.  Rhode Island, ignored by NESMC for years, has always had a strong 2 meter simplex tradition.  Year after year simplex frequencies are  "refarmed" for repeater use, thus pushing 2 meter simplex operators from pillar to post.  Yet,  the repeater splits around here have NO activity.  I thought the days of everybody having a backyard repeater YOU can't use were over.  Nothing like being on  2 simplex and getting an outraged phone call   "Don't you KNOW you are on our (new) repeater input!!!!  Nope, and what's it doing in the simplex portion?  "Oh, WE haven't used it for simplex in YEARS"  (meaning since the repeater went up last week).   There was a time when a simplex group on 146.445 (guys with the knowledge required to produce a GOOD simplex signal  no RG 58 and a handheld deals here)  covered Eastern Mass, RI, and down into Connecticut.  No more, 10 watt back fence antenna repeaters have  done to such nets what "drop ins" have done to broadcasting.  Nobody to speak of listens to EITHER.  Just run your scanner through the repeater freqs on 2 around here and see how wmany are actually in use, (and how many "there'll be a repeater on NEXT WEEK" (meaning I'm saving it for my buddy who 'might be putting something on someday"   FACT, for YEARS the only way to get a repeater pair in Rhode Island was to just TAKE one, NESMC mantained "they were all in use"  Yup, and when the band was scanned ...chirp chirp. 

NO you don't need any MORE repeater pairs, and spare me the bull about 440, 220 is quiet as a churchmouse, and Noooooooobody used the 440  repeaters which used to exist here anyway.  N O B O D Y.  One guy who put up a 440 here got so tired of talking to himself he moved it to GMRS.  Just another ploy to grab some pairs to pass out to the "in group" of the moment.   
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »

Sounds EXACTLY like what is happening in SERA country.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »

Some hams are hoarders; whether it be equipment or frequencies, doesn't seem to matter in the slightest.  Seems as though it goes with the territory.  I know some local hams who pay the rather costly rent for storage spaces to keep so much "stuff" they couldn't possibly know what it all is anymore much less find what they are looking for.  But just suggest that they sell, much less give away, anything and you'd think they were just told the world is ending.  And, yet, they keep adding and adding to it.  One ham I knew was on his third (I think, maybe more) storage space.  For what?  I think its a mental illness, myself.
Tom
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:19:08 AM »

Well remember coordination is voluntary. The frequencies in question are in the band plan as available for repeater use. I am sure there are a lot of repeaters that dont get much use, but if someone went through the trouble and cost who is anyone to say they should loose their coordinated frequencies. Now if its off the air that's a different story.

I can say the same about Simplex, I have beams on a rotor with Mast mounted Preamps and when I scan guess what chirp chirp. However I do use a couple of repeaters in RI and I am located in MA, West Warwick's DStar repeater is loud and clear on my beam, and has quite a bit of activity.   
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:28:32 AM »

I stand by my comments.  As usual, the Massachusetts boys think they run the universe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: