Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to go Digital with an Icom735. What's the cheapest/Easiest way to do it?  (Read 23307 times)
N6VGI

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »

Title kinda says it all. I'm new to the digital side of Ham Radio.
I don't want to spend a lot of money. (In case it doesn't thrill me.)
I would like full functionality though...

Any ideas? Thanks.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »

Any ideas? Thanks.

The following:

1 copper clad PC board
1 NPN signal transitor
2 Signal diodes (really doesn't matter, we're using the blocking ability of a diode)
Some wire
A 10KOhm resistor
A 100Ohm resistor
1 DB9 Serial Connector
1 USB-Serial Cable (10USD)
3 3/8" Audio Connectors
1 DIN connector (8 Pin, I believe)

These are all the parts needed for an Icom 735 digital interface (Minimal)
N6VGI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »

But with that setup, I run the risk of over-driving the sound card and popping it, correct?
Or of introducing a ground-loop hum?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:10 AM »

One of the most popular sounds card interfaces is the SignaLink USB by Tigertronics. Actually, it has its own built-in sound card with real adjustment knobs.

http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbmain.htm

AES has these for $99 and that includes the cable that goes from the interface to the radio. Just make sure to specify that you want an 8-pin DIN cable. You will also need to buy a SLMOD8PD jumper module that costs $7.95. Disclaimer: I do not work for AES or get paid to advertise for them, but they do seem to have to lowest price on this item.

With this, you plug one end of the interface into an open USB port on your computer and the DIN cable goes into the 8-pin DIN ACCY 1 port on the back of your radio and you are good to go.

Good luck!

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:36:54 AM »

If you want to experiment with receiving, all you have to do is place the computer's microphone near your radio's speaker.

For transmitting/receiving I recommend the Signalink-USB as the "cheapest/easiest" way to do it. Certainly you can build an interface for less, but it doesn't qualify on the "easiest" side of your requirement.

KB9UMT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »

GM,

I will not go further into homebrew interface as it was already mentioned and not sure you want to go that route but it would be the cheapest.

I agree with the other op that mentioned the SIGNALINK interface....if you are serious about digital modes then the SIGNALINK USB w/built in soundcard is the way to go - works very well and highly recommended.

Since you want cheap and easy and not sure you will like digital modes then you might try the Donner interfaces - they run $40 bucks brand new and if you end up not liking digital modes sell it back to someone else to try for $25 to $30 to regain most your money invested back.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2073

http://www.donnerstore.org//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94_99_111

http://swap.qth.com/

RADIOHF - DONNER DIGITAL INTERFACE-ICOM
A like new Donner digital interface control for 8 pin Icom radios i had it hooked to a ProIII,but will work with all 8 pin port radios,30.00 free shipping,U.S.sale only,money order only,no pay pal.
Listing #1086374 - Submitted on 09/03/13 by Callsign AG5RP, Modified on 09/07/13 - IP: d-24-245-123-87.cpe.metrocast.net
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend

MISC - DONNERS DIGITAL INTERFACE !
SELLING A DONERS DIGITAL INTERFACE FOR ICOM IC 746 PRO.NO LONGER NEED IT . NO ISSUES. $30.00 SHIPPED CONUS ONLY.POSTAL MO OR PPAL + FEES.THANKS FOR LOOKING.73.
Listing #1085713 - Submitted on 08/31/13 by Callsign 3055820046 - IP: c-98-254-1-26.hsd1.fl.comcast.net
Click Here to Email -- Send this Ad to a Friend

DIGITAL - Donnar Digital Interface 8 pin ICOM   
Used very little excellent condition $25 shipped Conus, Paypal accepted.
Listing #1082900 - Submitted on 08/16/13 by Callsign KA1GM, Modified on 08/25/13 - IP: cpe-74-78-39-11.maine.res.rr.com
Click Here to Email -- Click Here to View Picture -- Send this Ad to a Friend

Keep in mind there are other commercial interface units (MFJ, RigBlaster, etc) but those are going to run even used more than the Donners interface unit - most those used is from $50 to $90 or so - although you might find a RigBlaster No-Mic used from $25 to $40)

GL and hope to work you in digital modes (if you have digital mode questions or need help to get started email me direct if you would like KB9UMT AT ARRL.net or KB9UMT AT 30MDG.net)

Don KB9UMT
30MDG#0001
www.30mdg.net
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

Any ideas? Thanks.

Try this. 
http://www.unifiedmicro.com/sci6.htm

For $25, it's a steal in my opinion.  All you you need to do is provide your own cables, simple enough.

KU4UV
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »

I used the SCI-6 souncard interface kit with a IC-718 transceiver and it worked great.  The interface kit takes all of about 30 minutes to construct.  You then simply construct your own cables to hook between the transceiver and the interface.  I can give you details if you want to send me an e-mail.  Just look up my calllsign on QRZ.com for my e-mail address and I can walk you through it.

Mike KU4UV
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »

I used a sound interface card from WB9JFR to interface my 735 to the PC.  I upgraded the xcvr but still use the WB9JFR card.  It has audio xfmrs for isolation and is CHEAP.  Mine is mounted in a plastic "Tupperware" case.  You have to furnish cables.  Couple this with some free digital software and all is well. 
WB9JFR sells on EBAY and at Chicago areas Hamfests.  Simple setup and I don't have the problems my friends have with the Signal link units.  A useful free ware program is "Quickmix" for saving various sound card settings. 

Here's a ebay link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSTV-PSK31-and-Sound-Card-Interface-2-/331005484996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1176dfc4

KA9CCH
Levert
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

One caution on the 735 for digital modes.  There is no data mode, so in SSB the mike is always hot, even though you'll be using the ACC jack for audio in and out.  The cure is to unplug the mike or turn the mike gain all the way down.  Failure to do so will result in a very bad psk31 transmission.

Hope to work you on digital

KA9CCH
Levert
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 06:33:02 AM »

The Buxcomm RASCAL has always been a solid performer for me, and the WIDE array of available cables is amazing.  The ONLY cable I wasn't able to find for the RASCAL was the 3-pin cable for the IC-22A...but with only 3 pins, I made one with their DIY cable kit.

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

The cheapest and easiest interface is an "air interface".  Put the compute's mic near the rig's loudspeaker, and put the rig's mic near the computer's loudspeaker.

Either use VOX (if the IC-735 has VOX) or key the IC-735 mic by hand.

It can be tricky to set levels correctly, and your signal will not be as clean as it could be.  But as a quick-and-dirty way to get on the air with PSK31, it works OK.

After playing that way for a week (many years ago), I got a BuxComm Rascal, which I still own and use.

.        Charles

PS -- Googling:     "air interface"  PSK31         give this thread:

www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=79119.0

Have fun . . .
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »

"The cheapest and easiest interface is an "air interface".  Put the compute's mic near the rig's loudspeaker, and put the rig's mic near the computer's loudspeaker."

This is a really bad idea for transmit, in my opinion. Any room noise, acoustic echo, etc. will be transmitted along with the PSK tones. You will essentially be transmitting "phone" in the CW/Data band segment. It has the potential to transmit broad QRM across the entire PSK31 spectrum.

N6VGI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »

Thank you for all of your recommendations. I'm glad to know that there is a community to help out.

After searching through all of your suggestions and doing a lot of research online. I was waffling between
the SIGNALINK and the EasyDigi...after talking to Chris and Clifford (Father and Son) at EasyDigi, they
assured me that their product would be "Plug and Play" for my situation. I could run all of the digital
modes, and came in at half the price of the Signalink. (That should make the Wife happy.) So for $52.00
I got everything I needed to hook it up and start using it. Nothing else to buy. It should be here sometime
this week.

Chris and Clifford are a couple of nice guys. Hope to work them on the radio sometime.

So, sometime this week, I should be on the air...listen out for me.

Thanks again for the help.
Chuck
N6VGI
N6VGI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »

Now, does anyone know how to change my Username? I applied for a vanity callsign after
I registered here. The KC6QIS is my old callsign.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: