Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turn any radio into a D-Star radio  (Read 21427 times)
KG4OLW

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »

I was looking for information on third party Dstar repeaters, and I found this neat video that shows how to turn any radio into a Dstar radio. Cool video, I was thinking of ordering one of the boards for my ic-706 to hit the local repeater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8GEqn0nCM&feature=youtu.be

Here is the link to the company that makes the board.

http://shop.dvrptr.de/index.php?cPath=4

Very interesting, especially since I really have been wanting a full aprs system that could also do Dstar, with this you could use your Kenwood d710a for aprs, and the occasional Dstar QSO.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:39:30 AM »

The board, CODEC and case come to a total of $312 USD + shipping and possibly customs duties.
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:23 AM »

Not bad for a repeater project, the board was actually designed for making repeaters out of non Icom radios. However it is still not bad when you consider the cheapest Dstar mobile is considerably more, and the Dstar module for the 2820 is about $250 bucks on top of the radio cost.

Just a thought, and proof that the others guys could make dstar radio's if they wanted, instead of starting a format war. I believe this will all be over soon as the Chinese seem to be targeting Japan's hold over the radio communications market. They are working on the HF side of things as to compliment their mobile and ht offerings. Its only a matter of time before they add Dstar to the list.

Funny I went to the 2 local club meets last week, I have not been to a club meeting in years, but decided to reup, pay my dues and hang out with the guys. Besides 1 or 2 Dstar fans I did not see another Japanese HT, Everyone had those $50 Baofeng radios strapped to their belts, for $50 with a programming cable, cradle, and all accessories, it really becomes hard to justify $200+ for a basic HT to work repeaters.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »

Very good info, but I lost interest instantly when I saw the price!  Cry
There isn't enough repeater activity around here to justify the expenditure.

This is why I think that the digital modes should be open source rather than proprietary!

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »

Open source will not bring down the price. More sales will bring down the price. R&D and cost of manufacture still have to be paid for and nothing is for free.

The difference is with open source is it is paid by the developer; a subsidy likely paid by themselves. A modest amount when talking only software. If you expect this with hardware (developing custom chips) it sounds more like you are only interested in a free ride and perhaps you should stop ranting about "open source" and call it what it is.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

Open source will not bring down the price. More sales will bring down the price. R&D and cost of manufacture still have to be paid for and nothing is for free.

The difference is with open source is it is paid by the developer; a subsidy likely paid by themselves. A modest amount when talking only software. If you expect this with hardware (developing custom chips) it sounds more like you are only interested in a free ride and perhaps you should stop ranting about "open source" and call it what it is.

Until you realize that open source means it can be implemented in software on disk, software in NVRAM, or software burned onto an EEPROM; you'll keep thinking open source means price doesn't come down.

How much is an OpenWRT router cost you vs. a comparable proprietary one?
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »

The board, CODEC and case come to a total of $312 USD + shipping and possibly customs duties.

Its about $200 from the Canadian manufacturer. http://dvrptr.net
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:52:06 PM »

I think you are really laboring hard to see only what you want.  Codec2 is an open source replacement for the proprietary DStar voice codec, which was developed by one man in his spare time, and it is aiming to replace these proprietary garbage modes like DStar.

DStar's dead, the corpse just hasn't started to smell yet.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »

I think you are really laboring hard to see only what you want.  Codec2 is an open source replacement for the proprietary DStar voice codec, which was developed by one man in his spare time, and it is aiming to replace these proprietary garbage modes like DStar.

DStar's dead, the corpse just hasn't started to smell yet.

To be fair, it was developed by 2 people.  One did the math part, and the other put it into code Smiley
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

Freedom is maintained through diligent rejection of golden shackles and shiny baubles.
An arrowhead starts with a small point and causes more damage the further it goes into the target.

Any mode which requires me to ask permission to join the clique is out of the running in my shack.
Any mode which mandates me to buy a particular manufacturer is out.
Any mode which tries to make ham radio into just another commercial/public-service trunking system is out.
Any mode which makes ham radio look like an inferior version of the Internet is out.

Has my universe of ham radio communications modes shrunk so small with my exclusions that I find it difficult to communicate?

I now can only use FM-repeaters, SSB, CW and dozens of non-locked-down digital modes.
I guess it is time to hang up the microphone and reflect on my lack of communication options.

Rob
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »

Last time I looked this thread was about Turning Any Radio into a D-Star Radio. It soon turned into a Bash D-Star or why I don't use D Star. Well guess what, those of us that do use DStar could care less why you don't or won't. We don't miss you!
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »

Last time I looked this thread was about Turning Any Radio into a D-Star Radio. It soon turned into a Bash D-Star or why I don't use D Star. Well guess what, those of us that do use DStar could care less why you don't or won't. We don't miss you!

Elegantly put, but in my case I did not mention D-star, just any mode witch meets my exclusion criteria.
As you seem to have included DStar under those criteria, it is interesting that your retort shows the basic problem with proprietary solutions.

Those type of solutions seem to divide the ham community rather than have it come together.
This phenomenon should be a red flag that indicates there is something of concern with this model.

Sorry you wont miss us, but you know in days of old kings had the court jester.
His role was to make fun of certain decisions and far from being ignored, the monarchs took his observations seriously.
The king well knew that most of his retainers were sycophants who simply agreed with the king, even in poor decisions.
So the Jester was the voice of reason, or devils advocate, or the voice of truth.

When we look inwards only in a small group with the same shared views, we are not sensibly examining the situation, but merely cheerleading.
We all need our court jester to show us why some ideas are simply ludicrous or not in our best long term interests.
Again, I did not name Dstar in this group, but you did, so you implicated that mode in my criteria, not I.

Rob
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:11 AM »

Says the man who hides behind a handle with no callsign ...

Your right I am the one that said DStar, name another mode that meets your criteria.

Just feeding another Troll ...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:28:42 AM by W1MSG » Logged
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:47:53 AM »

Something I was unaware of just surfaced, the Icom ID-31 and ID-51 no longer use a chip to implement its AMBE Codec. I assume that the Patent for the v1 Codec has expired.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: