Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60/120Hz spike QRM follow buried cable TV company cable  (Read 7339 times)
K0OUS

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

I've been operating HF since last January, but, during the last two days my HomePlug connection has been intermittent. Tonight the QRM was bad on all the HF bands and the HomePlug was unplugged all evening.

I look a portable radio with a longwave band on it, and traced the RFI to the cable TV (running DOCSIS also) cable. With the radio near the ground and tracing the path of the shallowly buried cable the RFI is really bad.

Anybody else experienced this?

Thanks!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »

Troubleshooting steps:

1. Disconnect the cable TV coax. If the noise goes away that's the source.

2. Powering your HF radio with a car battery shut off all AC power to the house. If the noise goes away something in your house is generating the RFI.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:14:38 AM »

One thing--check the cable TV ground.  The cable company is supposed to ground the cable at the house (usually) but the installers will sometimes just make a connection and not check to make sure it is a good ground connection.  I've seen many examples of ground connections made to disconnected ground wires or other poor grounds.  One was even a simple strap wrapped around a conduit--that was plastic!
K0OUS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »

Thanks, Gents!
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

One thing--check the cable TV ground.  The cable company is supposed to ground the cable at the house (usually) but the installers will sometimes just make a connection and not check to make sure it is a good ground connection.  I've seen many examples of ground connections made to disconnected ground wires or other poor grounds.  One was even a simple strap wrapped around a conduit--that was plastic!

Plastic conduct connection!! LOL  Now that's funny right there!!!

W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:34:23 PM »

Check the power wall warts. Those things are nasty.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: